What’s next for Ess / Fors?

Yeah I think this was discussed earlier in the thread and Ess said it would basically require rewriting the instruments to use RNBO (if I remember correctly?)

And also that the RNBO licensing means he can’t really make money using RNBO.

2 Likes

No the license of RNBO-exported code is MIT. Which you can use to make money :slight_smile:

1 Like

This is my first track using Glänta and Kit. I like a lot the sound from Glänta. I have never had a Digitone but I wish I did if it can do this kind of FM beautiful sounds.

7 Likes

made a new stream with some fors tools and an octatrack…

11 Likes

a bit complicated to set up but the machinedrum is back. fewer tracks…but still

1 Like

this is really cool. I was wondering as a Opal instrument has more than the 10 controls that a single track of the OT could use to control one of them. Do you have a breakdown of your chosen mappings, that you would be willing to share?

1 Like

How are the parameter locks in software? Is there push integration? Or do you just highlight a step and lock the parameters?

2 Likes

I just mapped the most “important” controls… I made a few mistakes and had double mappings, and need to work out the kinks. .Opal in pure software is much slicker and easier to use right from the get go…

there is full push integration of all controls, except the sequencer…I select a control and can plock it with the little fader below the steps…easy and slick…

A little something with Glänta, Gem+ Dust from Opal, Ego and Romb.

26 Likes

Indeed, the software interface is slick, however, I just don’t really find it works for me, and I just really like making ideas with the Elektron sequencer, and the ability to p-lock the Opal synths is really great.

I’d been planning to pack up my Digitakt for selling, as I never use it, but I’m now thinking that I map pairs of midi tracks to each Opal device and use this for sequencing just those. Then use the OT for other bits, e.g. going to try with Pigments too, and resampling everything. It’s overkill I know, but mapping every parameter means I have nice hands on control and can p-lock anything that sounds right. In the end will be, I guess, make it easier for me to decide which parameters are “important” to have mapped.

1 Like

using the Octatrack to sequence soft synths is super fun and very rewarding…just needs a bit of pre programming. the fors plugins work quite good because they have “limited” amount of controls with huge sonic potential…as seen above in @NeonMelk ´s Video…

5 Likes

so good. Fors machines for the syntakt would be :kissing_heart::ok_hand:

4 Likes

Another session of yours i’ve missed, Luckily the replay is here to enjoy !
Limited controls with huge potential indeed…i love that crazy things can happen with tiny increments of values.
So organic.

1 Like

Not MIT, and only ‘sort of’ free until you make enough money. You can use the code for free, but not sell or distribute the results it for money without entering into the below terms.

From
https://support.cycling74.com/hc/en-us/articles/10730637742483-RNBO-Export-Licensing-FAQ

3 Likes

Ace!! Man, I wish this stuff was available outside of Ableton, dang!

2 Likes

Very nice!

The video is also pretty cool, how did you do that? Did you recreate images/graphics similar to parts of the different fors devices? (I haven’t used any of these devices so not sure how similar your graphics are to them).

1 Like

Thanks to both of you @Crumbfort and @aloud !

@aloud I make screen captures of the devices themselves with OBS and a custom skin in Ableton , color tweak them and add some effects in K-Den live video editor.
Their UI make the video creation process easier !

3 Likes

Textures done with Chiral…One of my favorite.

8 Likes