What’s next for Ess / Fors?

@Ess I think it’s been mentioned earlier in this thread but I just saw a Max addon called RNBO can export to Web, Raspberry Pi and audio plugins like VSTs.

Perhaps with a nice big colour (responsive) touch screen, and/or 8 potentiometers like the ones on the Push, running on a PI, in a 3d printed box perhaps Opal could become the ultimate DIY hardware project?! (Maybe it would require replacing the M4L components with standard Max components idk) Apologies if something like this has been discussed already.

3 Likes

Someone needs to finally build something like the elektronboxes with real diy aspects. Machines you could load on that thing yourself.

Dreaming of some kind of octatrack with a bigger screen where you could load stuff like opal. Damn…and now its time to wake up

1 Like

Yes this has already been asked when RNBO was officially announced a few months ago, @Ess confirmed its not possible, or at least not feasible, for various technical reasons but also including i think something to do with having to pay license for commercial use of RNBO

Its a fantastic self contained piece of software, why the need to port it to a hardware environment?

2 Likes

I’m basically allergic to computers (having to deal with them the whole day for work) but Opal is a piece of software that really makes me want to overcome this aversion… I couldn’t so far, though :frowning:

If there was a kick starter to make Opal a hardware thing, I’d instantly sign! And it seems I wouldn’t be the only one.

(I know, there’s DN, but I don’t find it as interesting as Opal)

2 Likes

yea im the same. opal sounds so damn good tho. as do all Fors instruments.

god damn beautiful

2 Likes

Not only do I agree with you here, but I hope Ess sees this as it’s probably the best praise anyone could have for Opal.

2 Likes

As always, we’ve been busy – Join us on our Twitch channel this Sunday, 8PM CET / 11AM PST, April 23rd, for a special live stream. Bring your own keyboard.

14 Likes

Bring your own keyboard. Wonder what this means??

twitch plays Opal?

2 Likes

Typing in the chat?

2 Likes

Online Opal Orchestra?

Could be this simple, Hoping it’s something to do with the special event though.

Surprise me = Opal with randomization? :crazy_face:

I love everything Fors make, so I hope its related to updates on previous devices.
Would be great to see EDO and Hz tuning added to Glanta and Superberry since the other synths have it…
Also Opals pattern automation could be smoother (I always experience a bit of flam between patterns regardless of automation positioning) and would love to see swing per track and pan plocking :slight_smile:
Also a midi gate/hold env for slate :innocent:
I will tune in anyway, Ess makes great instructional videos for the devices!

This adjusment only could make me very happy indeed.

1 Like

I’m predicting a demo/release of Opal v1.2 (plus sale :sweat_smile: ) and possibly a sneak peek of something completely new.

Surprise me = (just dreaming) Dot’s Euclidean sequencing added to Opal’s sequencer. Two dinky sliders/knobs: one for the percentage of steps filled in, the second for the rotation/position. Plus a toggle to choose whether or not rotation shifts automation on steps or keeps it where it is.

2 Likes

Did you guys get the Opal 1.2 email yet :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Didnt realise the stream was on already

cRAZY SHIT RITE NOW

Come play Twitch Randomizes Opal

Haha, we’re having too much fun with this.

17 Likes