What’s next for Ess / Fors?

still crazy shit going on now

1 Like

You got it right :+1:

1 Like

Really love that I can now sequence values within Live! I can’t seem to modulate a control value without also having to assign a midi note, i.e. no trig less trig. Is this correct or am I missing something?

Wow, Opal-Ctl is a major feature! I just sequenced my B2600 with it. Amazing! Looking forward to learn everything about this sequencer now. I really love it! And to look forward to watch the stream when it’s uploaded to YouTube as I couldn’t be there tonight. Thanks for listening to us @ess!

2 Likes

Wicked update, thanks a lot !

It looks like Ableton finally has a proper Elektron-style step sequencer. I love that you can choose custom controls in the Opal window. You can effectively build a synth using Ableton components. Wild.

8 Likes

Yep! And it’s somehow right that it would be Ess who would bring this to us.

7 Likes

@ess – I think there is something off with the new Opal Live Pack that is on Gumroad.

I’ll email you as well!

:partying_face:

If you’re having an issue unpacking the project file zip, I had to re-add the .alp extension after unzipping and it worked.

2 Likes

Thank you! I tried that and it didn’t work quite right, so I just downloaded the individual devices and have been creating my own DigiTone inside Live with Doublet and Opal. :smiley:

I sent a screen capture to @ess because the Live Pack was behaving so oddly, but it wasn’t a showstopper by any stretch.

1 Like

It’s getting ridiculously hard to stay away from buying this now …

5 Likes

Just having my first play with the update now, Opal-CTL is soooooooo much fun!

1 Like

is opalCTL a sequencer for other ableton instruments? I missed the twitch.

Yep

1 Like

Yes, it basically lets you map its 10 internal controls to any device/plug-in inside of Ableton Live which you can sequence and modulate. :slight_smile:

For reference here it’s mapped to Glänta

You can also change (and rename) the look of the controls to tailor it to what you’ve mapped it to

… So much to reply to in this thread!! Hehe I’ll have to come back later :dizzy_face:‍:dizzy:

38 Likes

Crazy Update celebration this last Sunday !

I left after three hours of collective FM awesomeness…i wonder how long it went on but it’s so hard to stop with the new Surprise Me option !

Like i said yesterday, the update is fantastic for “internal” Opal but the Opal-Ctl is the cherry on top, especially for people like me…being still on Live 10.
It’s going to be too good to use it with other Fors/instruments/tools and as shown above, the customization of control is sooo nice.

The Surprise Me randomization is super flexible and really takes you where you wouldn’t initially go sound design wise and thus missing so much of the goodness of Opal.

I mean… i love weird and crazy, but now the flow of crazy ideas will be frightening.
Once again, Fors Rules !

Here’s a little something with Surprised/tweaked Opal and “Opaled” Glänta.

22 Likes

amazing. I’ll be adding opal to my collection pronto.

do you have a recording of the twitch session?

6 Likes

:sunglasses::camera_flash: