What’s next for Ess / Fors?

This update is fantastic! I just love love love devs who listen to the community. Here’s a snippet of some of the fun I’m having.
@deelanee_orchestra on Instagram: "Having a blast making sounds with the Fors Opal 1.2 update. Randomize everything and audio routing for further processing are genius additions. #abletonlive #max4live #sounddesign #fmsynthesis #synthesis #groovebox"

7 Likes

incredible stuff
i’m trying not exaggerate about how much i love this…wish i’d made it myself!

the new update is MASSIVE and i feel really inspired to make something with all my fors tools patched together

thanks @Ess!

2 Likes

Moved over to Logic Pro, so cant use the Fors instruments I bought anymore :cry:
Really want to mess around with Opal, it looks so good, are VST plugin versions likely to be out anytime soonish?

1 Like

nope, I don’t think so.

I believe @ess addressed this earlier in the thread; VST plugins are not possible/on the radar. RNBO for Max allows exporting to VST but it was mentioned that it was not feasible to do in this case. @ess can address this more clearly though.

not 100% but im pretty sure the process isnt a simple export job,- if RNBO is anything like the gen~ environment then it would essentially require re-writing all of the patches, replacing the Max objects with their RNBO counterparts while also taking into consideration differences in the Max/RNBO architectures. but like i say, i could be wrong. I havent looked into RNBO but i have spent the last few months getting my head around gen and what i iinitially thought would be a straight up 1:1 translation between the two turned out to be much more complex than that.

That’s why I was saying it’s not feasible :). I believe it was addressed earlier in the thread. It’s not just a simple export as there are limited features/objects, or something to that effect, in RNBO.

Been controlling Simpler drums with Opal-Ctl, so so cool to cook up kick drum loops and hi-hats and snares with per-step panning and filters and reverbs and delays and all that Elektron/tracker-esque goodness. Next up, going to tweak the Nord Drum 2 with it!

4 Likes

So sounds like i’m going to have to buy another Ableton license to mess with Opal, ahh maan!

Been controlling everything but my kids with it. :laughing:

4 Likes

not soon but could possibly happen in the future @troxx

also cc’ing @christianlukegates and others about RNBO

3 Likes

Is there a manual to learn how to map Opal- Ctl? Or do you have to manually put each note in? I feel like it must be faster than this and I am missing it. Just trying to throw in different drum racks and make some percussions and modulate it’s sounds.

2 Likes

Free Ableton Lite keys are pretty easy to find. If you have an iPad, you can get one with Koala Sampler (unless they changed that).

Def download the guide. It is concise and helpful. I have had to look a few things up (which is to be expected for such a capable piece of software).

3 Likes

Thanks, yeah I see on page 32 how to map parameters but whats the fastest way to restrict the notes opal sends from say C2-C3? I don’t really see that. So when I generate a radnom pattern right now a lot of the notes being sent are out of range.

Also when I map parameters to a drum in the rack it just maps to that one drum. I want to map once and control all the drums, if that makes sense.

Max for Live requires Ableton Suite. All Fors devices are M4L.

4 Likes

./facepalm

Totally forgot about that. Well, a Lite key would save a few bucks on an upgrade!

Thanks a lot !
This little track was a first check of the update on my own after the launch party.
The Opal part comes from the randomization and i’ve just thrown the dices again on some engines and then, add tiny tweaks but you could say that this is 80 % Opal for it’s own part.

So you’ll get something that will tick your boxes to use or modify to fit a track’s needs.
If you listen to the Twitch event from Sunday, it’s a cornucopia of textures and odd grooves that keep flowing.

The Surprise Me/Randomization is awesome especially within Opal.
(could be “dangerous” with other synths i think)
What i like the most about it, is that it will help me to understand how to achieve specific sounds and texture that may be essential for another future and more thought out piece.

But yeah, i have this craving for quick ideas to combine and play with so every well conceived randomizatiom tool is exciting.

4 Likes

There’s currently no way to wrap/limit the range in the random generation, but that could be a good idea for a future update. I could have sworn there was some note wrapping utility in Live, but doesn’t seem like it… But I made one real quick!

Wrap.amxd (10.6 KB)

Just slap that on after Opal and set the min/max range, it’ll wrap the incoming notes to that range. Should be a lot of fun with the random generation.

If you want to macro map I suggest creating a macro in Live and controlling the macro knob with Opal. :slight_smile:

22 Likes

Awesome, thank you Ess. The parameter mapping definitley was my user error with ableton, I need to macro the drum racks. Appreciate the note wrapper, that makes Opal random functions super quick and easy to use now!

2 Likes