What’s next for Ess / Fors?

Quick add-on generator !
Thanks

1 Like

Absolutely the best human-machine in the world. :laughing::two_hearts:

2 Likes

Incredible, thank you! I spent ages trying to make one of these a few weeks back out of stock MIDI effects and gave up. :stuck_out_tongue:

Spent hours with Opal-Ctl tonight, cannot overstate how cool this is.

Opal was great already, but the 1.2 update is just fantastic. Thank you, Ess.

There are still 2 things I’d love to see, and I think they’d make even more sense now:

1.) slower synced LFO rates, up to 8/1, I’d say. It’s great that we can create longer sequences now, but the LFO is still stuck at 1 bar max.

2.) A global scale option. Coupled with the randomization features, it’d be very handy to always stay in tune. Well, more or less, I guess :smiley:

I’ve just posted a quick test to sequence the Arturia Buchla Easel with Opal-Ctl in the Current sounds… part 2 Thread.

…oh joy…oh, the possibilities.

2 Likes

I thought you could map using the Scale object but this wrap thing you’ve made looks cool…my will power to resist Opal is degrading by the freakin’ minute.

3 Likes

Just got to install the new update. Outrageous, amazing, incredibly fun. Feeling inspired to make a lot of new stuff using this. Thank you so much to the Fors team!

1 Like

Really interested to hear what people are doing with CTL.

I set up a collision instrument this morning, mapping as many controls as I could to one resonator and sending through reverb. Repeatedly hit random and got some very interesting results!

1 Like

Does anyone else constantly accidentally wipe steps you have spent ages meticulously locking?

This is my main gripe haha. It’s so easy to do.

2 Likes

i kinda wish there was a key command for locking (shift or command + click)

@Ess is it possible to do trig-less trigs in Opal-Ctl, I.e. without output a midi note on the same step?

I’ll try to refine the input logic there a bit, but for what it’s worth a lot of actions are stored in Live’s undo history – sometimes in a chunk in order to not clog the memory up too much – but it should at least give you some leeway.

Also, a trig is never deleted until you release the mouse button, so if you start dragging and the velocity goes low you can just drag it up and again without being deleted as long as the mouse button is still pressed.

No, not currently. Would be cool to add in an update but might be a ton of work (as in, probably won’t happen anytime soon)

2 Likes

Can’t you rewire Live into Logic?
I haven’t done this in a while, but it used to work just fine

Opal-Ctl is so cool, congrats @Ess. Amazed by what a lovely UI you’ve managed to craft with Max!

1 Like

Np, for now I’ve just written a M4L patch that simply filters C-9 notes, and put this after Opal-Ctrl. Then ‘trig-less’ trigs always use note C-9. Seems a reasonable solution for the time being.

8 Likes

Genius

Nice one!! That’s a cool hack.

Yeah I’d rather not work with 2 daws, if I do end up buying an Ableton license it would probably just be used to mess around with the Fors instruments and create loops or stems to use in Logic, sounds stupid, but there’s just something about the Ableton UI I don’t gel with.

1 Like

@Ess it’d be amazing if you could control opal entirely with keyboard shortcuts (no mouse). key combos to adjust different parameters & pages. like m8 kinda thing. treat your laptop as a self contained opal / Fors machine.

for me that would be as good as having a dedicated hardware controller.

4 Likes

I had also considered this as being something worthwhile, but there are workarounds such as sending a trig to a drum pad with nothing in it or to a really low note with nearly no velocity to achieve essentially the same thing.