What’s next for Ess / Fors?

there’s plug in devices that will always be recording whatever your computer is doing. someone linked to a couple of them here in the “software deals thread”. if you’re on windows there’s probably something free. i used to use a plug in in audiomulch that would keep recording even when the transport was stopped.

there maybe some way to use the resampling function in ableton but i’ve never bothered. if you use Blackhole you can set that up on a channel and record into a different application that has blackhole set as input for recording.

1 Like

Audio Treasure is an always-recording device - everything you did in the last 2 min. It’s been around for years though - haven’t tried it in Live 11 myself

https://maxforlive.com/library/device/2718/audio-treasure-by-max-for-cats

6 Likes

Could someone explain to me like I’m a five year old how to save the entire state of Opal?

If I use the method in the installation guide it saves, but seems to replace what was in the last preset every time (even with a different file name). So far the only thing that seems to work is to save an entire Ableton project file to truly save everything.

Thanks for the information. To be honest, I can’t believe this is not something Ableton can do in itself, or with a max4live device. This is as simple as selecting to record the output instead of the input in Reaper.
As I happen to be on windows and was driven almost crazy trying to route my audio to OBS (I tried ASIO4all, Voicemeeter, Reastream and other obscure workarounds) I ended up buying a Presonus interface that has audio loopback. That’s what I will use and it turns out that the Opal Window actually remains open even if I’m working in Reaper, making it look like a VST or a funky Reaper script.

1 Like

That’s good to know but definitely limited. I keep reading the “record everything” advice and often think that I should, especially with a device like Opal and Opal Ctl. I really love the artefacts that are in between presets. Anyways, I’ll simply loopback the audio to Reaper.

A midi clip with an automation to launch a blank pattern should give you the result you want.

3 Likes

I think if you use that as a Google search term you’ll eventually find another M4L device that does the same thing but better.

There’s bound to be multiple posts somewhere in the Internet by people looking for something better than Audio Treasure.

1 Like

could you help me out? I tried Opal Ctrl and there seems to be only note lengths of max 16 steps. Am I wrong? I hoped it would be like on the DT,

Could you not record in Arrangement mode? And then drag itbintk a scene?

I don´t know if this has been ask before but I ask anyway. Concenrning licensing. I have two machines, one Laptop Mac Air and one mac Mini which I both use with Ableton. If I buy Opal once, can I use it on both Machines?

Yes, you can use it on as many machines as you’d like. (For your own use, naturally … :smiley_cat:)

4 Likes

Drag drop the entire channel into a presets folder within your user folder and change the name when prompted?

Anyway to pop the player out to make it larger without opening the Max editor? Have to squint to see wtf I’m doing. Getting older sucks.

Yes, just use the Opal.amxd or Opal-Ctl.amxd located in the top folder, those are the versions that pop out of the rack with a scalable interface.

The versions that sit in the device rack are located in the “in-rack” folder. The reason why they have the same filename is because it then makes them interchangeable, so you can switch them out at any point and retain the saved state.

9 Likes

That’s what I’m doing, but it doesn’t remember past settings, just reloads what it was last doing.

1 Like

jus got opal yesterday. wow, it’s stunning.
really fast to get around too. usually I have an aversion to software but it’s curing me of that pretty quick.

my syntakt is getting nervous :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

incredible work Ess.

6 Likes

Thanks homeboy.

1 Like

still wonder if note lengths greater than 16 steps are possible. Any hint?

You can change it in the upper right hand corner of Opal-Ctrl device:

With the Note Offsets and Note Length you can send chords (by entering an offset below or above zero) and control the length of the output note. The length is always a multiple of a 1/16th note. (p. 32 of Opal Guide 1.2)

The guide is really well-written and clear. You should check it out.

4 Likes

thank you, I didn‘t check the manual indeed (I will).
However I addressed this note length parameter you mentioned. It‘s max value seems to be 16 which means 16 steps.
On the DT I can go to 128 and inf.

1 Like