What’s next for Ess / Fors?

I’d suggest emailing Fors, off-board. They (usually @ess) are incredibly responsive. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I also bought Opal a few days ago. I hope it will finally get me properly into Live.

I love its design. Although I haven’t had a chance to play with it longer, I can already see that it’s intuitive and inviting. And I love the ‘surprise me’ button.

1 Like

Same, I picked it up last week but only noodled a little so far. I love the general flavour of the sound. Looking forward to trying the Opal-ctrl with some drum plugins like Microtonic/Battery 4 etc.

Nice job Ess!

1 Like

Click those little boxes to switch sequencer pages.
Adjust the number next to them to decide how long you want the sequence. 8 pages X 16 steps equals 5,234 steps.

Ah fuck it. Miss read your post.

Okay, I’ve had more time with it, and Ive got to say that this little device is pretty legit. Pretty smooth of you Fors team. I’ll have a gander at the other stuff soon.

Yes, it’s up to × 16 note length in Opal-Ctl. In hindsight it could/should’ve been higher… I’ll consider it for an update, depends on how tricky it will be to convert an old project on load to get the correct note length if the range has changed. Tricky stuff but might be possible.

3 Likes

I understand - I’ve used Ableton for nearly 20 years and still don’t dig the UI :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Working on the mousing/deleting steps issue – getting pretty close to a solid fix. If anyone is willing to test it that would be very helpful, please send me a DM or email ess@fors.fm

EDIT: I think I have a pretty rock solid fix!

20 Likes

Wanted to buy Opal a few minutes ago and wanted to pay via paypal. It was no one time payment had only the option to authorize gumroad also for future payments. Don´t want that.

It´s a little bit fishy and and I know fors is not gumroad. I really want to buy those stuff and suppurt because it´s super bad ass stuff, but there needs to be a rock solid way that is safe and transparent to pay.
Also I could not pay in Euro and could not see the amount I had to pay via paypal, so I had to say yes being blind to the exact price in the system at that point.

Also it´s not clear if the email you need to leave in gumroad is the delivery email or it needs to match the paypal mail. Because here those two don´t match.

So I stopped checkout. But what is that? I just want to buy a M4L Device via PayPal, transparent and one time. Is it me?

You can use an email address for gumroad different from that for paypal, i’ve done this way.

1 Like

As you’ve already pointed out, this is beyond our control. We’re working on launching our own web shop which will be a lot better than the, frankly, mess that Gumroad is.

However the notice you are pointing out about PayPal is the standard agreement when you purchase something using their service. You can revoke the transaction rights for Gumroad after making the purchase if you don’t feel that it’s safe.

The email you give in Gumroad is the one that will get the license/download and the one you use to purchase via PayPal can be regarded as the “billing email” if they differ.

I agree it could be a lot smoother and as I wrote above I hope we can provide a much better experience soon, but there is nothing fishy going on.

8 Likes

Not that there is something fishy. but this gumroad stuff just feels so, because it´s so intransparent and why do I have to authorize them for future purchases, you know. Not in any way blaming fors. I am totally hyped about your stuff! It´s just that there is so much crap going on with money stuff on the internet and you want to feel safe when you buy something, so I get a little bit nervous when you see shiny tools like opal and you have to do money transactions in a way you don´t really want to.

I understand – it’s good to be a bit wary these days. For what it’s worth, Gumroad is a trusted and safe source and the PayPal buyer protection almost always takes care of you if you’re unhappy with the outcome of a transaction.

But yeah, I also find their checkout process to be quite opaque. It’s one of the reasons why we want to move on to our own storefront. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think i will order blindly then.

But one thing I really need to say, because I feel it has not been adressed much or at all. What I think makes your stuff stand out, is so important and totally overlooked by almost all the other stuff is the design. It´s not only flat and inviting it´s the kind of design that feels balanced and easy to play with. And I feel that this is so damn important that it can not be stressed enough. Even the line thickness is not trivial. I think everyone knows that sweden has an reputation for good design but it´s really nice to see it in action. So enough slimy flowers :wink: But I think you know it´s cool yourself, so why am I talking :grinning:

2 Likes

Its gonna be neat! :grinning:

6 Likes

Just pushed Opal 1.2b :slight_smile:

Thanks to all of you who reached out about the deleted steps issue, and for testing the beta! I’m very happy to say that this issue has been fixed and adding/deleting/adjusting steps is now worry free.

Besides this, I fixed some minor bugs and increased the maximum note length in Opal-Ctl to ×128 (thanks for the suggestion @orionka)

37 Likes

nice :fire:

For those that are interested; I’ve just setup opal devices in ableton so that the audio routes to bitwig and all the devices are sequenced via midi from digitone and digitakt sequencers whilst maintaining the overbridge inputs into bitwig. Its an absolute joy to jam this way, and has some interesting posibilities with note grid trickerys.

4 Likes

Just bought opal. Happy times. Feeling a little bit stupid installing it but I think everything works so far.
Hope to get the single devices to work in the afternoon.

PROBLEM FIXED(WELL ‘USER ERROR’ SO NO FIX NECESSARY REALLY )

Messing around with the 1.2b and i still keep deleting steps when i use my macbook trackpad. Granted i only bought a macbook a couple of months ago, and have only used windows laptops until then so my mac-trackpad skills leave a lot to be desired.
A suggestion: Would it be possible to have a option in the settings so that when a step is deleted and then put back into the sequence it would keep the parameter locks instead of starting from a “blank” step?
out of curiosity what solutions to “deleting-steps” were set in place in 1.2b (just so i could try and get them into my workflow)

Sorry to hear that! Just to make things clear, the update fixed an issue where steps would be deleted due to a bug – in some cases adjusting a step could cause it to flicker, turn off and then you wouldn’t be able to change it until mouse up.

The fix in 1.2b makes it so that clicking a step only deletes or adds it on mouse up and if you do a drag action the step will always be adjusted instead of removed. This way they will never disrupt each other.

I’m not sure what is happening on your end, if you have a video of this it would be helpful if you email me at ess@fors.fm

2 Likes