What’s next for Ess / Fors?

Fors said on Instagram:

Max for Live works on any platform running Ableton Live. You do however need Ableton Live Suite 10

So if you meet the requirements, sounds like Superberry is a go on Windows!

2 Likes

Yeah, the last thing is to buy Ableton Live 10… Any chance to see a VST one day ?

1 Like

Demo version is now available!

Small chance! I’ve already remade most of the GUI elements from scratch anyway, how hard could it be? (Spoilers: a lot harder)

Thank you! Yes, please keep sending any quirks you find our way!

17 Likes

An iOS version would be so nice! :wink:

4 Likes

I’m sure the economics of selling a softsynth on the App store are completely different and likely not something Ess wants to dive into, but yeah, I would love an iOS version, especially since I don’t use a Mac or Max.

Wouldn’t get your hopes up in the short term, looks like this was built with Max and wrapped for desktop use, don’t think there’s anything to publish Max to iOS! I guess in the longer term it might make sense for Fors to start using JUCE or something to make it cross platform, but that potentially adds a lot of development work compared to doing it in Max (if you are familiar with Max, that is!)

1 Like

Is Fors a M4L based company or do they use other tools or programming languages?

The webpage indicates Fors “make synthesizers with crystalline sound, inspired by our love for music & fueled by our obsession with esoteric synthesis.”

Superberry macOS is tested on macOS Catalina.

Has anyonw tried running it on an older version of macOS? I tried running the demo on 10.11.6 (El Capitan) and it got stuck “verifying” the first time I tried running it.

Yes, I’m running High Sierra. No problems here. Working beautifully.

Edit: MacOS has a bunch of protections for unrecognised downloads. So to get around the verifications, I think I put it in my dock, then right-click opened it and then it should override the security settings. I’m away from my computer right now, but I can check it again later on if you still have trouble opening it.

I would love to do something for iOS & VST/AU, but it’s a lot more involved. I’m no stranger to programming, but I’d have to put some serious, serious time into it… But who knows? Maybe it’s not as hard as I think. There is a good chance that I will download the Juce framework next week.

I mean, if I’m able to make a crude wavetable synth on a flippin’ Sony Pocketstation then I could probably do this too, hahaha.

Yes, macOS is more whiny than ever, sometimes you might have to open it by right-clicking on the app first and choosing ‘Open’, this is somehow a reasonable thing to have people do when opening apps that aren’t signed. :smiley:

I hope this solves it!

12 Likes

Yes, this is what I had to do. But I’m used to doing that. It might make others think it doesn’t work or is dodgy or whatever. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yup, it eventually worked. The initial verification process (right before the security warning) just took like 5 minutes. Probably just my laptop being slow.

1 Like

Mac and Ableton only :frowning: That’s too bad. It sounds beautiful, though.

I’m going to start looking into a Windows version next week too, unfortunately it’s a bit trickier due to how many custom UI elements we use.

10 Likes

JUCE framework

Check out this guy if you’re heading into JUCE for the first time :slight_smile: I wish he was around when I was learning haha

This new Playlist is ground up audio programming but he has a lot of great JUCE tutes for specific things on his channel too!

4 Likes

Demo version is now available!

Even the noise in the demo sounds good :kissing_cat:

Congrats on your 1st synth release ! Do you plan to work on hardware synth as well or only software ? I guess as a small entity, it might be quite difficult for Fors to develop and produce hardware. But at some point with more capital, would that be a thing to consider ?

I love the simplicity of this. Could be a real idea machine.
Is the paid version identical to the demo, plus more voices, minus the noise-fade-watermark thing?

I installed it on my old mac running El Capitan and encountered exactly the issue you raised. Were you able to get it running? It just freezes upon loading for me.

Fortunately I have a cheap macbook with a more a current Mac OS. Sigh.

I don’t wanna have to buy a new computer.