What’s next for Ess / Fors?

It worked the second time I launched it. The “verifying” progress dialog was stuck for a few minutes. I left it idling for a few minutes, grabbed a coffee, came back within 5 minutes and it had presented the typical security warning about unverified software.

1 Like

I rebooted, took your advice to just give it minute to load and I got it going. Whoo Hoo! I can procrastinate saving up for a computer a while longer!

Haha, thank you! It’s a very particular ‘grainy’ noise that I designed… Which will play a bigger role in our second product…

At the moment - no chance. We simply do not have the funds for that. In the future? I hope so. We certainly have ideas.

19 Likes

A Kickstarter might not be a bad way to go abouts that, honestly. You’ve built quite a name and pedigree for yourself with your work on the Digitone and Cycles.

3 Likes

If I had to guess, that will happen eventually. Until then, supporting Fors by purchasing Superberry is the best way to fund the development of future hardware.

:money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings: :money_with_wings:

3 Likes

A quite lovely instrument. Its focus on sequencing, with the decoupling of transposes, length and trig mutes make me feel like I’m working with an old Evolver, or an app from the monome universe. I created a brief eight step sequence, then played with its transpositions, set a scale and adjusted length and transpose and trigs in real time while shifting notes around. This little eight stepper just kept on giving.

Very clever implementation and clearly focused on making the track evolve through the sequence, not just the sound itself. It really does remind me of Awake on norns + grid more than traditional instruments out there.

7 Likes

Agreed. I’m brainstorming good ways to map a MIDI controller for the sequencer. It feels fairly lightweight CPU-wise for a synth, too, I wonder how well it’d run on light/portable Ableton setups.

2 Likes

It’s begging for some kind of grid controller. I think I’m gonna try the Deluge with this, see where it takes me.

1 Like

Finally had time to try this. This is really a nice straightforward synth. Would love this in hardware. I am doing nothing with soft synths. Thats a shame, I really love the sound and the playability. So i am gonna try to figure out if i am gonna dive into soft synth for a little hybrid setup with this and a little eurorack thingie or something. Would be a nice combo. I have got a couple of other nice simple soft synths already that I really like.

Edit: I just bought it, its really nice synth and its awesome that there is 10% going to a good cause. Well done Ess

just had a go with the demo version and it’s so nice! so easy to make full tracks and generally get lush-y sounds out of it – very inspiring! will definitely purchase the full version later this week, although I do quite like the random noisy audio gaps too :slight_smile:

Someone needs to tell Lorenzo Senni about this

4 Likes

there’s a purple layout called Voyeur as a theme option, don’t think that’s a coincidence :slight_smile:

3 Likes

:innocent:

Should come as no surprise that Felisha and I are huge fans.

9 Likes

downloaded the demo this morning, been having good fun with the sequencer!

love the tonality and low-end, i quickly recorded something fairly easy

3 Likes

Yeah and Mark Fell :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since only Ableton Suite is mentioned: Ableton standard with additional M4L license is fine too? Better safe than sorry.

1 Like

Always an inspiration!

That slipped my mind! Yes, that works fine as well.

5 Likes

is there gonna be an option for IOS Soon :slight_smile: ?

See above:

3 Likes

The more I hear about this decoupled sequencer and how it all works together, the more curious I get. I’m also curious about using Orca to sequence it. I have a feeling that could be fun. I might have to carve out some time for a quick experiment this week.