What’s next for Ess / Fors?

This is really nice!

Lorenzo Senni.

1 Like

it sounds great. been making nice noodly stuff like this with the demo…

18 Likes

I’m wondering if it could be ported to something like norns or the user oscillator of the minilogue xd.

It’s tough, I’d rather Kickstarters be for more established companies because I know they’ve already went through the tough spots and growing pains versus blowing up a Kickstarter and moving beyond their current business competencies.

@Ess Congratulations on the Fors launch! I’ve only had a brief play with Superberry but I’m really loving the sound and the sequencer is very intuitive. Forgive me if I missed something when I read the manual but does patch recall exist on the desktop version or is its omission intentional/philosophical?

Well I wouldn’t do a Kickstarter without having a solid prototype and a real idea of how to get it manufactured etc. I agree that you should not “Just make a Kickstarter”, doing hardware is a much bigger task than a lot of people anticipate. I think an appropriate time for a Kickstarter is when the product is mostly done but needs the financial push to get it out the door, so to speak. In other words, still need a lot of money up front just to do that, at least in a way I would be comfortable with.

Thank you! That is correct, it does not have any patch memory. I think of the standalone version as something that is more ‘inspirational’, you launch it and play around for a bit, get lost in whatever is coming out and then (maybe) hit record. It’s more of a little tool to make some cool sounds to use later, or at least that was my idea around it. I guess this also comes from my interactions with old school hardware, I sometimes really appreciate the ephemeral quality of working with gear making something for just that moment in time.

And of course, the Max for Live devices are the counterpart to that where you use them inside this big machinery, with presets and all. In my head it makes sense, but of course if enough people want patch storage I’ll just add it. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I would personally really like patch storage, I use Logic rather than Ableton and already on the desktop app I have found myself screen grabbing the settings I have so I can mess around with things and come back to a previous idea later.

Having said that, I am definitely down with just hitting record and taking the audio into a daw or sampler to work with. I have one track idea on the go like that already.

I would say those are better than just noodling… I could easily see a whole track built around the first one. Very expressive.

1 Like

Damn, really nice!

Good to know! Might look into it.

4 Likes

May I ask, are Felisha and Ess the same person? Like a Femme alter ego!? Cool if so! Just a gut feeling…

1 Like

Love that kind of interactions with instruments, that’s exactly how I use my modular, almost like a bandmate that brings new ideas to the table around which you can build something.

3 Likes

Actually I’m sampling it with Octatrack for a superberry noise sample challenge :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That makes complete sense. One of the things I love about modular synths is the lack of patch memory (for the most part). Record it or lose it forever. That said, a randomise patch feature might be interesting. :thinking:

:loopy:

Downloaded! Haven’t loaded up Ableton yet… but the stand-alone is FUUUN. I just slowed it down and let it run with odd resets on the sequencer. Instant work music. Going to read the manual now… figure out some of the subtle play. Nice sound with easy tweaking. Can’t wait to not be working today.

Edit - Update! I read the manual. This sequencer is deceptively more dense than I realized!

Anxiously waiting on the Nintendo Switch port.

6 Likes

Ha - @Martebar beat me to it. I also enjoy this way of working. Hell, that’s 90% of how I do anything related to music these days. I’m moving toward picking up Superberry even more now. I at least have to check out the demo!

I didn’t have auto update turned off and now my Mac is on Big Sur, will I have to go back to Catalina to use Superberry?