What’s your- ‘F*ck it! I’m buying it!’ synth?

How many actuations did you get out of it? Did it get to the expected life?

1 Like

For me it was the simple decision to start making electronic music at all. I was educated in audio engineering and I KNEW that this will be a way too expensive hobby. I KNEW that operating even a small studio will take me more than 20k €/$ to meet my claims in quality and it will take far too much of my free time.

I sold my DJ gear to get space for a kid in a small 2-room apartment. I wasn’t really deep in the field of electronic music hardware.

So, 3 months before my son was born and in a time when we saved money to buy a house it definitly was a “Fuck it” thing to decide to buy a DT + Nord Lead 4 and a mixer (later changed to the Bluebox) to try it.

After 3,5 years with basically the same equipment I’m happy with the approach not to produce electronic music from scratch until release but just having fun performing it. This also limits the demand of new gear. It’s just an Instrument like a guitar for me. I just like playing it. Nothing more. I like it and I’ll stay with it. No more "Fuck it"s.

Ok, maybe some day with REALLY good monitor speakers…

11 Likes

Today. Waldorf M. Hopefully pick it up from UPS Tuesday.

There will be an iridium by its side by end of year.

6 Likes

I’d bought it used, and shot a lot over the time I had it working, but as I’m more used to shooting film, I’d shoot it with the same mindset as though I had a roll of 36 exposures in there - so it really wasn’t hammered. The problem was the dreaded sensor issue which a lot of the M9’s had, and mine had it even worse with the sensor connection corroding. Leica wouldn’t touch it as there are no CCD sensors left for them to replace from their suppliers. There are 2 companies left on earth (both in the US) that can replace the entire sensor structure but it’s 2k and that’s not including import duty. :slight_smile:

1 Like

purchase: Korg MS-20 (green)
intentions: drones (at first)

Latest “F*ck It!” consideration:

The Kodamo Essence FM

5 Likes

There’s been a few for me but on the main it’s the Elektrons. I bought a M:S for a laugh because it was cheap and within about 3 weeks I’d decided I needed a Digitakt, and then once I had that, it seemed silly to not get a Digitone to go with it. Then of course came the Octatrack (and the Syntakt came out a few weeks later and I had to have that as well).

Expensive but totally worth it. I love them all.

8 Likes

Slippery slope!

And exactly what Elektron wants from folks “trying out” things with an initial M:S purchase.

Welcome to the pack!

5 Likes

As of last night, the Syntakt was my “fuck it” synth. This was preceeded by weeks of “use the gear you have” pep talks. Extremely happy with this purchase… might sell the DT or DN now. But the three are so cute together …

1 Like

That green always reminded me of the army men toys

3 Likes

Im a fellow film photographer but mostly Medium or large format(Mamiya etc)… That sucks about replacing the sensor. Always wanted an M8 but never got into 35mm much to justify it. Hope you get another camera soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I found a Syntakt deal today that was hard to pass up and said “Fuck it”.

5 Likes

Peace:

1 Like

That looks so dope

Getting there:

1 Like

Most of my smaller purchase are fuck-it-class. Well, the big ones too, but since I usually have to shift some things, they’re more like fuck-it, hold, GO!! The last one that I honestly was just minding my business, and then said fuck it and bought, was the Dark Grandma.

The Hydra Deluxe would have been, but I knew I was getting it from before it was announced. (Had a feeling they’d do a “big” Hydra)

1 Like

The digital snare and ride couldn’t let me do less than the 27. Love them. Looking forward to a digital hat one day

1 Like

I didn’t have any buying planned, then SURPRISE!

The Syntakt dropped. :grimacing:

I had been publicly wishing for a ‘takt-like box with some analog mojo, so then Elektron dropped all that AND a bag of multitrack digital/analog synth and fx chips.

Welp, figured I should put my money where my mouth was. :cool:

No regrets.

1 Like

Thanks, I keep thinking about getting something digital again, and still shoot 35 film, although not as much - film prices are insane these days thou… you have to remortgage to invest in it proper. :slight_smile:

& that sounds great - you can’t beat medium format for the image and versatility. That’s another rabbit hole of GAS :slight_smile:

To stop people getting pissed off that this is turning into the Amateur Photographer forum, this film is pretty interesting… Sam Prekop from The Sea and The Cake on his photography.

His Instagram is good as well, plenty of synth, modular stuff and bits of Elektron :slight_smile:

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CeBveCuj9z4/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

6 Likes

I hope I will come back here one day and write - ob6. But the price - puhh. Only seems to go up over time

1 Like

Feels like a good time to get an OB6… there must be a lot of people after the new one who have can’t justify having both.

3 Likes