What’s your- ‘F*ck it! I’m buying it!’ synth?

I got recently my dream synth, the Waldorf Iridium Desktop, the Ambient machine :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

You’d hope. I’m not seeing many on Reverb. P6s seem to come up more often, in the UK at least.

2 Likes

Me too, lets see how I get on with it.

I’m very excited.

I’ve realised that despite how all the YT vids look I find working with lots of boxes frustrating and so something that can do analogue and digital synths, drums and effects plus world class sequencing seems too good to pass up.

1 Like

I kind of hope not… I don’t want to be drawn into the temptation of an OB6!

1 Like

I found the Cycles screen too small for my eyesight, and am selling it. I see the Syntakt filling the niche I had for the Cycles: single box for sofa/bed/train sketching. And for teaching ny kid The Elektron Way.

I know it’s more than that. It may make its way beside my Octatrack eventually.

1 Like

I want to replace my Rev2 with something easier to use. My imagination/GAS keeps leaping between P6, OB6 and a Digitone. I should just try them…

1 Like

I’m obvs in the honeymoon phase with the Prophet 6 I just got, but it’s exactly what I wanted. Knob per function pretty much, and has limitations that force me into using simpler sounds that I prefer anyway.

It definitely has that ease of use factor.

Weirdly, it’s made me see the Rev2 desktop I have in a different way too… I feel like the P6 has given me fresh eyes on it. They compliment each other.

2 Likes

Urgh… you’re making me doubt my sale… :joy:

(TBF I was already doubting the wisdom of letting the Rev2 go. I know it’s a great synth!)

Feels a bargain atm

I have the same feelings about a P5 / Rev2 combination. Other than the name, quite unlike each other. Coincidentally, the P5 was definitely my “f*ck it” synth.

1 Like

I’ve lost count how many times I’ve said "fck it" im buying an Access Virus TI2 over the years. Still haven’t but really think i need to say "fuck it and just do it ! Pretty sure there’d be no regrets.

2 Likes

wow, there’s been a number. most recently it was:

• waldorf m
  • jomox mbase / mbrane (to compliment the nd2 and use individual outs for 4 outs of drum synth goodness)
  • doepfer lmk2+

all these purchases were mostly while on a 2-3wk roadtrip with my fam ¯_༼ᴼل͜ᴼ༽_/¯

other “f*ck it” mentions include:

• octatrack in 2011 (made a couple of tracks, but sold in need of monies) tho i have since purchased the mkii
  • mpc1000 circa in 2010
  • Akai s5000 (2010?) that can’t remember the name of
  • oto biscuit in like 2013, i had just had a kid and totally hit it for a bit, but you realize wives don’t notice any kind of changes to one’s studio
  • ob6 desktop in 2017…good ol affirm.

I tend not to have these because I feel guilty about getting new gear if I feel like I’m not using my existing gear enough.

Notable exception was the Dirtywave M8. On-board subtractive synths, FM, sampling, stem rendering, custom automation macros (tables) AND it’s portable.

Having had it for a month and a half now, it’s been worth it. The only thing I occasionally miss is having more direct note input like keys or a pad on the device itself, but the midi implementation is good and flexible enough that it’s basically a non-issue.

If I had another “F*ck it” synth, it’d be an MS-20, but I still haven’t crossed the guilt/desire threshold for that yet.

1 Like

I said „f*ck it“ and got the OT MK II some months ago but now I am very close to say screw it and sell it again as I am looking into an OB6. Can’t have it all… F#ck. :rofl:

2 Likes

I suppose my current fuck it I’m buying it synth has to be the MS-20 FS since I just bought one last night! I fooled around with one at Patchwerks a few months ago and have wanted one ever since. Poking around online I noticed the price had dropped 400 bucks and I was powerless. Never ordered from Adorama before though so we’ll see how this goes.

1 Like

i just remembered my f*ck it/dream purchase has always been either a rhodes or hammond b3. someday…

4 Likes

I’ve changed my mind, fuck it, I’m DEFINITELY buying a MAM VF-11

Absolutely none.

A $400 A4 was my biggest fuck it buy. I hadn’t even watched videos on it, but had been fawning over an OT for some years and decided it would be my introduction to the Elektron workflow. I bought an OT about a year later for a fair but much higher price.

3 Likes

If an ARP 2500 reproduction came on the market - complete with the slider patching system - I would seriously consider selling a bunch of stuff to get it.

2 Likes