What’s your- ‘F*ck it! I’m buying it!’ synth?

Well the sell thing can happen later of course. It depends on whether you want a Moog One or a Korg Volka level of gear… whether it is a centrepiece or just another synth etc etc…

Andromeda A6

2 Likes

Took me about 7 years for the A4, but I think 2 years is the sweet spot for me.

I disagree a bit on the whole practicality problem solving approach but 1) I’m a more chaotic/intuitive personality type 2) on the other hand, I also pore over manuals for gear I don’t plan to ever buy, so I also “do my homework” in a sense, so that 3) there are imaginary gear stews brewing in my brain. It’s sort of the same end, just a different means. I like to wait for lightbulbs to start going on before I leap, but it’s a gut feeling for me.

Roland Jupiter-6. I spent some time with a friend’s unit a couple of years ago, and was surprised by its solid sound and great flexibility. I bought the first unit that came up for sale at a not-so-silly price. It usually requires a bit of work to really shine, but offers a huge range of great sounds.

2 Likes

Dirtywave M8 and also the Sampltrek

both were purchases where i have to wait half a year before I can receive them… and thats a new kind of thing for me, but in this case i could not pass it up

it almost feels like investing in gold at this point

4 Likes

i had one of the first-run sidstations… probably the bit of gear i regret selling the most

F*ck it, I bought a Rossum SP-1200, it’s not a synth, but f^ck it…

26 Likes

A beauty!

1 Like

It wasn’t so much a “fuck it” and more of a “Fuck some half-measure synths.” This year I decided to get a “forever” synth. A no compromises, big keyboard, flagship machine. I’m lucky enough to have a top tier sampler, drum machine, and a few monosynths to choose from. I was short on keys and polyphony. I traded in a literal trunk full of gear for a Novation Summit.

I’m surprised I don’t see more talk about that synth on here. Is it looked down on because it’s “virtual analog?”

4 Likes

I think I’m gonna sell quite a bit and buy one of the new music easels when I can… f@ck it…

3 Likes

The summit is a phenomenal synth. I had a peak which I reluctantly sold, but my mate bought a summit and I’ve spent a fair bit of time playing with it. It’s more than just two peaks - really quite special.

2 Likes

I said fuck it and sold off pretty much everything for a Juno X for well below retail. And it has killed GAS dead over the past 4 or so months.

I had a gear conveyer belt in my studio and, even though I’ve known this for decades, all I’ve really wanted apparently was a Juno. Never could roll the dice on a real one with the 40-year old issues but this has made up for it and I just can’t imagine ever parting ways with it.

That Juno sound is my favorite synth sound of all and the X does it awfully damn well. 100% happy I said fuck it.

1 Like

I wonder if this counts as a synth or not, but for me it’s the TX-6 — honestly, my reaction at first was everyone else’s, what a ridiculous hellishly overpriced bit of kit — but every time I wasn’t using my bluebox (should’ve been perfect solution for me) I kept wondering why — well, internal battery power, huge value for me in terms of time in workflow, so that’s huge — and find people majorly shitting on something from major ahead-of-their-time manufacturers usually get unseated with updates — it didn’t take them long to add USB thumb drive recording and dynamic beat tracking, and it’s already perfectly useful as a pocketable usb-c 6/12 channel audio interface (which I also needed).

So that’s been my most “F*ck it!” purchase recently, and honestly other than the price I have nothing but happy thoughts about it. Worth it based on actually using it at this point lol

3 Likes

Hi Jesper

2 Likes

Afraid I don’t know that one, is that another synth?

I was talking about Jesper Kouthoofd, from Teenage Engineering.

But if you have to explain a joke…

3 Likes

Oh! :man_facepalming:

1 Like

I forgot about this thread. It turned out to be the Analog Four. IT IS MINE!!!

15 Likes

I bought 2, then the Analog Keys… it’s definitely my favourite Elektron unit, and I think it’s already a modern classic, just sooo good.

1 Like

Erica Synths Techno System earlier this year. I came across an as-new used offer for an extremely fair price (about 30% off a new one) by Matthieu from Norand (the makers of Mono and Morphos). I even got to see their premises in Paris when I took an opportunity to get it in person (when in Paris for work). Of course I agree with everyone who says that it is rather expensive for basically a glorified 909, but then again, compared to a similar modular case, the price is not too bad. For me, the key difference with my other gear (mainly Elektron) is the very immediate and rewarding patching (and unpatching) and playing experience - fun and rewarding every day !

7 Likes