What’s your- ‘F*ck it! I’m buying it!’ synth?

After spending way too much on modular gear last year and not loving the results, I finished the year by snagging a Korg MS-20 FS since I figured it was likely my last opportunity to get one. It was very much worth the extra credit card debt - best analog synth I’ve ever used

3 Likes
off-topic personal anecdote for people interested in the JX-3P

I sold my JX-3P to help fund my AR + OT. I liked it a lot, and probably should have sold the Juno 106 instead. The 3P is a much more interesting synth than the 106 - sync, sequencer, more modulation, and arguably more character to the tone (it’s not so 80s neon glow, a bit moodier).

3 Likes

For me it was a moog one. I saved up for two years, then I had to wait and wait and wait for the right deal to come along and for me to not be super busy. Then I decided to just do it and make it work, so I took delivery of it last week (possibly at the worst possible time as that was my busiest work week in months, my dad just came down with covid, and I got sick (not covid)).

Synth-wise, it’s everything I hoped for so far. Only problem is I had to shove it on the floor between my bed and the wall and I can’t play it comfortably for more than about 20 minutes. The stand came yesterday, so I get to assemble that and set it all up properly hopefully tonight.

11 Likes

Did it at the start of this year when I saw my Polivoks Pro on eBay.

I said “fuck it” and put in a lowball offer and to my surprise, the guy accepted it.

sexist anecdote

I didn’t even talk to my wife about it, she wasn’t over the moon about it, but better to ask forgiveness than permission, I guess.

Am now also in the middle of another with the Perkons. I’m having to sell about half my gear to pay for it, but I reckon it’ll be worth it.

And then there’s always the niggling desire to sell all my worldly possessions, say fuck it and buy an Erica Techno System and a Black System 3, but that’ll probably have to wait until after she divorces me.

6 Likes

It annoyed me at the time because it had no mono / legato mode, and was quite basic in other resepects - and even though I had the programmer box, it wasn’t really a great synth for live tweaking. I did have some fun with the cross mod and metal sync features, though, and the polyphonic sequencer with its sync input was great for pairing with all kinds of gear.

I do often wish I’d kept it, but at the same time getting the Voyager was a good decision and I definitely had more fun with that, so I don’t beat myself up too badly. But anyone who has a chance at a decently priced 3P, I’d certainly say give it a shot.

2 Likes

OT was mine several years ago. Best purchase I’ve made I’d say. I also pulled the trigger on an LXR when I didn’t really need to but I kept thinking I needed it. I still like it but don’t think I need it.

Next “f*ck it” will likely be a Perkons or an OB-6.

(Wish I bought the OB-6 years ago when they were just $2600, still kicking myself for not pulling the trigger when I had the funds then)

If it had actually been available to buy (or preorder) when they announced it, the Syntrx 2 definitely would have been. Now I’ve probably had too much time to think about it!

Prophet 10. Had just moved house so wasn’t great timing wise but it’s the only synth keyboard I’ll ever need. Honest.

27 Likes

OB6 desktop back in 2016, once I heard it’s sound, I was sold. Big splurge for a bit of noodling, but I still have it and 6 years later I love it even more and will probably keep it forever.
This year, it was a Fender Jazzmaster Am Pro II Miami Blue (I know, not a synth). I found one new and heavily discounted, so I pushed buy in the middle of the night, knowing it would be gone in the morning. No regrets though, like the OB6, I think I’ll keep it forever.

4 Likes

mellotron

Oh hi :wave:

9 Likes

Do you mean the Basic Program found in the Global menu?

I’m on my phone outside in the sun and when I looked at the pic the first time I thought there was a four-tier synth stand behind the P6! Not quite! :rofl:

Anyway, hope you’ll really like it! I’ve been falling in love with mine the past month or so (bought the desktop last autumn).

For me it was another of those F it purchases cos it was available for a good price on this forum. But it was the most rational of those F it purchases cos it makes sense to me on so many levels. Knob per function for the effing win!

That I have bought: Abstrakt Avalon
That I would buy: DSI PolyEvolver

Now that I think about this more I haven’t bought anything that isn’t rare in a long time, except for the Matriarch black edition that is also a limited edition and rarely seen second-hand in Finland. Other than that during the last 2 years I’ve bought the MD, MnM, Minikorg 700fs and Syntrx and all of those have felt like it’s now or never, mostly now tho. :rofl:

4 Likes

That dual Modor shelf above the P10 looks pretty tasty too!

1 Like

There’s a guy on Reverb selling an old Buchla Easel, steadily raising the price the longer it’s up there. I think the listing started at $10k and is currently up to over $20k.

So, you know, if you want an anecdotal proof point to justify saying “f*ck it” and grabbing a synth before its price goes up, now you have one.

6 Likes

For me, as for others it seems, it was the Vermona Perfourmer. I finally found one, but through Facebook and it wasn’t local. The F*ck it! aspect was more the buying it sight unseen from some stranger with no feedback. After paying, I just prayed that it would actually come in the mail…

2 Likes

Honestly? The A4. I keep buying it

8 Likes

You’ve got another one? :partying_face:
Mk1 or mk2?