What’s your favorite firmware update of all time

Sometimes I get as excited for firmware updates or potential updates as much as I do an actual instrument!

What’s your favorite update to ever hit a machine you love? The digitakt made several phenomenal firmware updates over the years.

The sp404 mk2 2.0 firmware was a really amazing upgrade. The polybrute 2.0 was a nice leap forward.

Anyway, whatchu got?

3 Likes

14 Likes

Limited kit here, but in that context, the 1.8 update for the MC-101 was huge.

4 Likes

The OP-1 audio over USB update was pretty amazing… how the hell they managed to do that on a 10 year old device which sports USB-Mini is beyond me.

1 Like

When this happened…

11 Likes

Zoia sampler is pretty up there. The RYTM update that is gonna happen next week will be my favourite I just know it!

10 Likes

I like all the firmware updates my Lyra has never needed.

8 Likes

The Digitakt 1.5 and the latest Red Panda Particle v2 firmware are the first that come to mind, because they turned them into completely new machines!

5 Likes

I thought windows xp was quite nice.

10 Likes

I like it when they update updates with updates that you need to update again with another update to get an upgrade for the next unscheduled upgrade that may never arrive.
Because it’s exciting.

1 Like

When the DT got scale per track. Can’t remember the version number.

3 Likes

9 Likes

Had Akai MPC Live Mk1 since it came out and the free updates for that have been incredible.

Honourable mentions…

Arturia Microfreak. Some great additions, including the previously unknown ability for audio in via an update. Vocoder, etc.

JJ OS for Akai MPC1K. Not official, but much loved and very powerful.

Ensoniq ASR-X - the days of pulling chips to install new OS chips and sending the old ones back to the manufacturer so they could re-use them. Much missed company Ensoniq.

Not had a chance to fully test new Roland SP404MK2 OS yet but looks good from what I’ve seen.

No longer have my BlackBox but have nothing but praise for 1010 music and their updates.

G

2 Likes

I’m not sure I have a favourite as such but props to @OxiInstruments - I don’t think I’ve seen as much hard work go into continual firmware updates before. A lot of passion and dedication in that project :ok_hand:

3 Likes

…ot last update 2019 was a big and finally final one for all ot users…
…and if i’d still had a digitakt in use, i would have gone nuts about the latest update…
…looking forward to the next level of syntakt…
…meanwhile, i’m always more than happy with each single next evolutionary frequent step that pushes bitwig further into the future of modern daws…

but never the less, i miss those days, when firmware updates were no such thing and all my sonic tools just did what they did forever, just the way i bought them…

3 Likes

No real favorite firmware update here. But some that I hate.
Hello Moog music and Matriarch paraphonic mode becoming unplayable.
Hello ‘latest’ Nord Modular G2 that randomly corrupts patches.

1 Like

chatgpt and i wish i was born 20 years later. it will be exciting.

1 Like

You can always choose to not install the updates :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The Octatrack 1.40 release was something really special because it was so unexpected:

Roland’s v2.02 update for the TR-8S remains unrivaled in terms of the sheer number of features added:

5 Likes

Max/MSP integration in live 9. That was major

3 Likes