What synth brand is the Volvo of synthesizers?

I guess in Eurorack it would be Doepfer but what about in the overall market?

1 Like

Maybe Korg…

6 Likes

Korg does often the boxy thing going but what is their reliability rating on CarFax.com?

2 Likes

Hello fellow Boreds, I would think that the price of Cwejman both new and on the secondary market would disqualify them from Volvo status.

1 Like

Nord

hits above it’s weight in sound quality, features and stability +value = volvo

10 Likes

Elektron. Swedish, premium. Thankfully not owned by the Chinese, though.

6 Likes

Well, the Ikea guy does drive a high milage 90s Volvo…

I‘d give it a decent 8/10.
The materials (knobs etc) aber good quality but not super bombproof steel like a mercedes (elektron or Sequential stuff).

1 Like

FWIW: There is pretty much no 240 hot-rodding scene in the US. A few T5R enthusiasts, but the comparison will probably hit differently depending on which side of the Atlantic you reside on.

From an American perspective, Korg is affordable but too exciting to be Volvo. More like VW. '90s Roland feels much more like Volvo: on the expensive side of affordable, but always playing it extra safe.

4 Likes

Next up… what synth brand is the Lancia of synthesizers?

2 Likes

Actually, the Flame Maander has a strong Volvo vibe.

2 Likes

Hmmm i feel like roland is more like that one car in town, where the owner just tried to hard to make it look like in tokyo Drift, but when he passes by with it it still sounds huge.

2 Likes

1010 music is the Smart Car in the market.

2 Likes

Just dropping some Knowledge for my fellow americans.

6 Likes

You mean That Guy who assures you that his 240SX is basically a GTR?

1 Like

I swore I saw a Lancia on the highway here a few weeks ago but I would of had to drop down to 45 in a 65 zone to confirm.

2 Likes

I’d say Nord. Elektron is more Saab. And Roland is VW.

4 Likes

Surely the Monotron series is the Smart car?

Monotribe is the Smart Roadster

2 Likes

Saab hatchback era I would assume with p-lock turbo.

2 Likes

I meant this. It’s pure Lemondrop, can’t u see it drip? And the little engine sounds rather granular…

3 Likes