What was your favorite breakfast cereal as a kid?

I wasn’t allowed to have “sugar cereal” at home so I would eat grape nuts and krispix thinking that was the apex of fine cuisine, but I went to summer camp one time and discovered that apple jacks and frosted flakes were like ambrosia of the gods.

I remember the first time I tried captain crunch with crunch berries I think that my gums bled for an hour afterward, but it was other-worldly.

One time my friend who has five kids said he can tell which one is the smartest because when he pours the milk in their cereal, there’s one of them that waits an extra minute for it to soften up a little before she digs in.

So what was the belle of your bowl?

6 Likes

These. Always remind me of caravan holidays with my grandparents. Stupidly priced, but I can’t help but get them for my kids every time we go on holiday. Though now they want 2 each in the morning :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Golden Grahams were the shit!

I wouldn’t get good cereal often but when I did it was glorious! Until those mornings when the milk was bad!

5 Likes

Weetabix with vlok and hagel that my Dutch family would bring over every summer when they came for a visit.

1 Like

I had a similar sugar cereal restriction at home with a few exceptions (e.g. every cheerios variety, but they all sucked except Apple Cinnamon). There was this Shredded Wheats variant in the late 80s that was filled with fruit jam, and that was the first one I really enjoyed. Somehow we got Honey Bunches of Oats, and that was mindblowing at the time. Same with Raisin Nut Bran.

One time when we moved towns, we got pity purchases of Cinnamon Toast Crunch and Apple Jacks, which were both mindblowing at the time. Then, at a sleepover, I finally got to try the good stuff - Lucky Charms. Wowsers, almost a religious experience. Later into my teens, I had a little disposable income and got some knock-off Lucky Charms for home which were almost as good.

Further into my teens, I tried Reese’s Peanut Butter cereal, and that was the best of all. Then in my 20s, Smorz came out and it was just as good.

Nowadays my go-to is a nice bowl of slow-cooked steel cut oats, 1.5tsp of chunky peanut butter, and a splash of bourbon vanilla extract :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My grandma let me put whipping cream on my Cocoa Puffs. I’m glad I was a really active kid.

5 Likes

2 weetabix in a very particular bowl with a tablespoon of sugar. It hurts my teeth just thinking about it :joy:

4 Likes

Nesquick and Coco Pops. Not at the same time, though that would be great thinking about it.

1 Like

I used to eat all the crunches first and save the crunch berries for last. It was amazing.

3 Likes

That crunchy layer tho :crazy_face:

Just thinking back now, my Grandfather used to give me Corn Flakes with golden syrup and sultanas - then milk made from evaporated milk and water. Oh my god. I miss that. Soo sweet though

1 Like

We couldn’t afford breakfast at my house as a kid, I had to wait for the free lunch at school. But when I spent summers with my grandma, she hooked me up with all the Apple Jacks I could eat One summer she got me this “new cereal” and it was Cinnamon Toast Crunch, mind blown.

I let my kid have any cereal they’d like, and they just eat bagels and scrambled eggs :joy_cat:

3 Likes

Good choices above

Lucky charms
Sugar puffs
Golden grahams

Though my teeth hurt just thinking about them now

In my teens I loved fruit n fibre

2 Likes

The original Crackling Oat Bran, not this new recipe bullshit.

2 Likes

How could I forget Cracklin Oat Bran! Grandparents always had that one and it was so good.

2 Likes

Cinnamon Grahams!

Special shoutouts to 3 Weetabix and 3cm of sugar, as well as milky porridge with honey :yum:

7 Likes

I have almost the exact same memory (only not with your grandparents). Those variety packs are obviously aimed at children

1 Like

Shredded Wheat
Honey Comb
Sugar Crisp
Fruit Loops
Shreddies
Sugar Corn Pops
Alpha-Bits
Pac-Man
Nesquick
Captain Crunch

2 Likes

Honey Nut Cheerios. Now, I’m 50. And I still have it almost every day :joy:

3 Likes

I never got to try them but I remember these being released for about a week during the 80’s and wondering how they tasted… anyone ever get to sample this dodo bird?

2 Likes

I was a muesli fiend as a kid.
Mum kept a big jar of it and it was the only thing (+bread) I was permitted to help myself to.

We once stayed at a bed and breakfast in Cornwall and the owners couldn’t believe how much muesli I had in my bowl.

My Grandma used to treat me to branflakes with runny honey on top for supper.

Fine times.

(I still love a good muesli and so do my kids)

2 Likes