What were the "counter culture" films of your youth?

C’est arrivé près de chez vous (NSFW or kids, very violent)

La Haine

7 Likes

Repo Man

4 Likes

Was just about to post that. Now I’m just a re-post man…

4 Likes

I have to say I used to be really into army of darkness, some people would argue that peter jacksons dead alive is better but I have a soft spot for bruce campbell and sam raimi.

not that evil dead and evil dead II aren’t great, but army of darkness really hit a stride as far as meeting the cheesiness head on.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Also who could possibly forget the immortal “this is my boomstick” line, ash is my hero…

4 Likes

So many classic lines in that one, he delivers them with such bravado that is so unbefitting of the person saying them that it just comes across as pure brilliance.

3 Likes

Harry Dean Stanton. Legend.

3 Likes

Truth
One of my fav music vids of all time

1 Like

this was unironically mine:

but i couldnt remmeber the name and every google search i did was packed with “Gleaming the Cube” results and nothing ever mentioned Masterminds. and I only finally remembered once someone mentioned the awful 2017 film of the same name

1997 (i was born in 88)

also: SLC Punk taught us about drugs, Requiem for a Dream, Trainspotting, Clockwork Orange was before our time but still relevant, Fear and Loathing, Spun, cky dvds from the skate shop

I think the real answer was Fight Club. I remember it being “revelatory” to 9 or 10 year old me

Edit: should have read the thread first. almost all of these were covered in the first reply

1 Like
4 Likes

Okay, I’ll leave Gleaming the Cube out of it, but I’m adding The Legend of Billie Jean (and Heathers since I’m gettin’ all Christian Slater-y up in here).

4 Likes

Wings of Desire is forever my #1.

Also in no particular order:

Koyaanisqatsi
Akira
Repo Man
Pi
Clerks
True Stories
Blade Runner (Director’s Cut)
Swimming to Cambodia
Blue Velvet
Alien
How to Get Ahead in Advertising
Raising Arizona
Hearts of Darkness
Tron
The Meaning of Life
Straight to Hell
Harold & Maude
Time Bandits
The Shining
Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Fifth Element
2001: A Space Odyssey
Phantasm

7 Likes

hard to believe anyone else remembers the legend of billie jean, I thought I was the only one.

I actually really liked untamed heart :sweat_smile:

that’s the name of the one with Marisa Tomei right?

Does anyone remember So Fucking What? or “SFW” with stephen dorff?

1 Like

Killer list.

2 Likes

I also have a soft spot for jim jarmusch movies, some of them are from my youth, some from my 20’s, coffee and cigarettes is particularly good, also ghost dog. But the earlier ones like mystery train, down by law, stranger than paradise, all good films.

Actually Dead man is pretty good too, with johnny depp. Almost cohen brothersy.

4 Likes

…has anyone mentioned Warriors yet? B grade but a classic of it’s time!

9 Likes

my youth happened to happen at those magick times when Soviet Union ceased to exist.
and all forbidden/unobtainable stuff became accessible at once, often in a poor quality – but whatever.
so my answer is: all of them! (that existed in early 90s and before)

1 Like

Kubrick’s " Warriors"