What were the "counter culture" films of your youth?

Gummo
Eraserhead
Seven
Fight Club
Alien/s
Akira
Ghost in Shell
…probably many more i have forgot.

Gummo trailer. Maan that film is good.

2 Likes

Great doc about it

1 Like

The fliptop head :rofl:

1 Like

Somewhere in the mid-1990s my sister took me to see ‘Natural Born Killers’. They were letting people older than 18 into the movie. She was 17 and I was 14, but they let us in anyway. We felt like we had hacked the system. :sweat_smile: It was certainly very counter-cultural for me at the time, plus a great soundtrack (NIN!). Maybe also Pulp Fiction at the time with its non-linear plot.

A few years later Pi and Eraserhead were so counter-cultural for me. The first time I saw both was at a joint screening in a small cinema in the attic of some community centre, so the setting already gave the impression of something small, unpopular and counter-cultural. Plus Pi has an amazing soundtrack, through which I got to know Ae and Afx.

4 Likes

Farewell, Home Sweet Home by Otar Iosseliani.

No, no one had mentioned the Warriors. It was an oversight I was going to correct…until I saw your post. Can you dig it?

+1 for earlier mentions of A Scanner Darkly. It’s a crime that it bombed on the original release (I saw it opening night!), but I see it mentioned more often these days. Glad it’s getting a cult following. IMHO it is the most faithful PKD adaptation, in terms of tone and atmosphere.

2 Likes

Ninja Bachelor Party

A Clockwork Orange

Henry

Hackers
Leon
American Psycho
Happiness
Donnie Darko
The Virgin Suicides

2 Likes

Yes! Scanner Darkly! I agree, the most faithful PKD adaption (and there are soooo many PKD film adaptions)
@shigginpit mentioned this one previously - but it really deserves a graphic of it’s own.
“I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass…and I’m all out of bubblegum.”

6 Likes

A Clockwork orange
If…
Cannibal Holocaust
Cannibal Ferox
Bad boy bubby
Hated: GG Allin and the Murder Junkies
Thrashin
Man bites dog
Sökarna (Swedish streetgangmovie)

Me too. Almost every Sunday, we were at this theatre (with my brothers and friends). It was 4 movies for 0,99$. I’ve seen so many movies including every Bruce Lee or Kung Fu movies (with blue blood), Japanese Sci-Fi movies (Inframan, Godzilla, …), French movies (Les Charlots, Louis de Funès, …). So many good memories.

The sticky floor

Child version : spills of soft drinks.

Teenage version : there were adult movies at night.

2 Likes

Someone may have mentioned it but I don’t recall seeing Dark City pop up, what a trip that movie was. Had a Matrix/Blade runner meets Sin City aspect to it. I was also really into the Crow with Brandon Lee.

But as a person who’s name is both a food and a beverage mentioned, a lot of these are not “counter culture” the thread would be best titled “movies of your youth that are a little off the beaten path, and sometimes just remind you of times you got high and laughed a bunch or stayed up all night watching bad cable”

5 Likes

Flatliners.

2 Likes

Yeah, I honestly have no idea what counter culture evens means but I’m a dum dum so there’s that.

2 Likes

I had to search the meaning too. :rofl:

2 Likes

I guess it’s somewhat reassuring that no one has said Romperstomper (yet).

2 Likes

But a bit disconcerting that I don’t recall seeing mention of the Dark Crystal, some of jim henson’s finest work which was pretty dark. Maybe a little overshadowed by Labryinth which probably came out around the same time.

1 Like

OMG YES

I was going to say that, but it seemed a bit mainstream to call ‘counter culture’. The fact Brandon Lee died during filming pushed it up into popluar consciousness. Was on the news and all. It was definitely a film of its moment.

It’s just sub-popular culture, counter culture doesn’t really apply to a lot of this but I think that’s ok because in the sense that there is no mention of Titanic or “ten things I hate about you” this thread has “stuck to it’s guns” such as it were.

3 Likes