Whats going on with Youtube?

I have now tried the Google ad blocker as recommended right at the start. It works but theres a quirk. The YT video hangs for a few seconds during playback several times as if the ad is trying to get through but the blocker is preventing it. Those Midi Pack guys are doing their damnest to get through to me. “You shall not Pass”!

2 Likes

It was mentioned that you could skip to the end of a video and press replay to avoid the ads… didn’t work for me though. And since they’re so invasive with the ads I don’t see a reason why they should choose to not put ads again when you rewatch a video.

And isn’t Youtube also censoring channels/videos they don’t like? Not talking about copyright violations or obvious racist/sexist stuff.

…argh, fuk…now i know what u guys meant when mentioning the midi pack guy…

and well…all this comes only to an end, once the global lights turn off…
if alphabet is running out of business, the whole world can’t spell the word business anymore…

gonna miss the early days of internets innocence forever…
lost it all, when my space died…
but at least we will see facebook go down the same road first…

1 Like

For browser version of youtube in ios i use adguard free version. ( open source they say…)
I never see an yt ad ( with duck duck go as search engine in safari, but i think that doesnt matter)
Or use brave
Lockdown app if you wish to block more trackers ( google, fb for example)
That dosnt mean i dont think we get tracked by intel and in the north sea…

This discussion and also the whole yt ad economy is a mystery to me, as i also never see an ad with firefox and u block origin with laptop.

More a mystery as im absolutely no expert, not using pihole or such, altough that seems not difficult.
Ublock origin is on the top 10 recomeded list from mozilla i saw once…
I stupidly bought nord vpn for two years, with some update recently and the new lynx thing its possible to use without glitch, i just use it for some tv sometimes, also blocks ads and trackers, many people dont trust them, i dont know, there is better vpn stuff for shure.
the free thing from proton vpn i signed in with a throw away email, it is just quite slow and not for tv

1 Like

for on the go: Brave. For at home: Pihole.

1 Like

Aye, thanks. I don’t actually own any anymore. I was more talking about the gradual creeping tendency for Apple to remove things and now rely solely on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, dongles, etc etc. Also, had some nostalgia going on :slight_smile:

It’s not like others aren’t copying. In my company the new Lenovo Thinkpads are the new standard, no CD drive either and if you want to use a LAN cable you have to use a dongle as well. And when you use the dongle you can’t use the USB port next to it anymore because the dongle blocks a tiny part of the USB port which leaves you with one USB port left. And it’s a proprietary connector so you have to buy their own dongles. So no Apple exclusive tactics at all.

Ah, but you’ve just backup my point. Apple does these things first. Everyone else copies.

USB-C docks with ethernet and power delivery and a few USB ports are around 30-50 bucks… (and won‘t block any neighboring port)

When you have to provide 50 or more of those hubs for everyone in the company using it then it’s not exactly cheap either.

Not being able to work is by far more expensive, isn‘t it? In this case the IT guy is to blame - he did produce those costs.

Why wouldn’t you be able to work without a LAN adapter or USB-C hub? It only gives you more choices for connectivity and doesn’t render the laptop useless without it. Most people use it with Wi-Fi anyway and as long as you’re not in a room with lots of people using the same Wi-Fi network you won’t have any problems. The biggest problem is Germany‘s outdated internet network but this is as this discussion a different topic.

Blocking ads takes money away from regular people. You want people to steal your music?

1 Like

I can’t follow that logic, care to explain?

The ad views and the duration of the view are how the content creators payment gets calculated (obviously only for the content creators that enable it, which is anyone with a decent set of views).

3 Likes

You are basically saying “I won’t buy this cd because record store that sells it is owned by a big evil corp. And those evil label companies get paid too!” Yes you are keeping your money from going to the Corp, but that’s just a bullshit justification to make you feel good about stealing the music instead.

Maybe you can’t afford the premium, but you get the content for free in exchange for a minute of your eyes. So you are saying the content this person worked hard to create isn’t worth a minute of my eyes nor a fraction of the 2 Starbucks lattes you’d have to give up monthly.

2 Likes

Are you happy for me to sit through annoying repetitive ads every song or two of yours I play, or give regular money to a thoroughly shitty company, so you can make a fraction of a cent of my money? Or would you rather I discover your music on kinder terms, and potentially support you in other ways?

2 Likes

I freaked out when I saw a news article that Google Play was being discontinued. Then I read little bit more and it’s just basically becoming YouTube Music. I’ve got a lot of albums and playlists that I’ve collected over the years. I can’t stand the commercials to I just shell out for premium. No ads and free music streaming / downloads / offline mode / etc. Covers my whole family so worth it just for that.

1 Like

A lot of the adverts are a minute long. A minute of my eyes i will never get back!

Just here to agree with most of what’s been said. I’ve been watching far less Youtube because of all the ads.