Whats going on with Youtube?

Sorry, I keep forgetting that my naturally sarcastic nature doesn’t always translate that well (or at all!) online… I’m in the UK so well versed in how it all works whether it’s broadcast television, streaming etc etc. One thing you could say in favour of commercials on the televsion… at least you’ve time to make a cuppa… can’t do that whilst they’re telling you all about how to get a Deadmaus masterclass!!! (that’s another joke!!)

1 Like

I was referring to the UK where the licence is for the BBC only who are not allowed to advertise. But they slip up occasionally.

1 Like

Loved reading this thread and how it branched out it different directions. I’ll try to cover them all a little bit in my reply :wink:

Personally I only notice just how many ads are on Youtube when I use it at work (which I rarely do). I don’t have admin rights on the machine I use at the office so I can’t install uBlock Origin like I have on my personal laptop.
But on my own laptop I block as many ads, trackers and useless cookies as I can. It’s not just Youtube though, lots of websites I don’t recognize on my work computer. I use uBlock, Facebook Container (to stop Facebook tracking me outside of their platform) and sometimes Ghostery as well on my personal machine. I will never take a subscription with Youtube to get rid of the ads. Google will still try to track me and use that data to show me ads everywhere else. If me blocking ads and trackers means some influencer or generic news website or whatever will make less money, I really don’t care.

It’s not like I refuse to pay for anything. If you’ve got original content that I think is good I’m willing to pay for it or support you directly. I have subscriptions with Netflix, Blendle and The Correspondent and I support my fav artists by buying their albums, merch, books or art if I can.

5 Likes

I’m thinking myself of abandoning youtube as a platform, there are aspects that I like about it but more recently I have been noticing a large influx of get rich quick schemes/scams in the advertising there. Its despicable, and while yes I use adblocker on my primary devices the idea that they put these ads on even non monetized content means by association of just putting content on the platform I am helping scammers even though I have no plans of monetization of my channel. At least things like Instagram advertise actual products and not scams (or maybe the Instagram algorithm targets me differently and the scam ads are there too?). I dunno it feels dark, I suppose I will probably continue to use it but much more minimally but YouTube might be reaching for the coveted prize of worst platform in my eyes.

4 Likes

Android Users: Check out NewPipe. You can even use it for soundcloud links instead of the bloated App. You’ll have to get it from GitHub and allow use of non-play store apps but I’ve been loving it for like 2 years now.

Also yeah Youtube is insolvent and unusable as a platform. If I want mainstream news content I’ll go use those websites, not wait for Youtube to show me some news clip I don’t care about.

1 Like

Grammarly, Pizza-or-salad angry no-shirt guy, Nigel Farage finance!? … rinse and repeat

1 Like

I also used Ad Guard (premium) on my iPad Safari. Worked quite well on YouTube ads and most every other site in general.

I’m getting rid of my iPad soon and deleting apps. Once I deleted Ad Guard, I was shocked how many ads came rushing back. It spoiled me.

How to Cook That has some good videos on the (currently primarily Russian) content farms that have infested Youtube and how they’re able to achieve supremacy based on virality while pumping out dangerous and objectively harmful content. The false recipes as followed would maim naive adults and children not savvy enough to understand the dangers.

I don’t know if it works for iphone, but if you’re on android, try youtubevanced. It’s the best, no ads, background music and best of all it’s exactly like the stock app so no loss of features, only gains baby.

1 Like

I also use Newpipe on Android. Background playback is great for listening to audio jams!!!

This! Newpipe ftw

1 Like

Just got a copyright strike to my video which I made completely by myself from the first frame to the last note. Including all melodies and sound design.
I would be angry if I want monetize my content.

What’s going on with youtube? Something completely wrong.
And yes, ads are hell. They’re selling Premium very aggressively. Monopoly is never a good idea.

Have you thought about ceding your rights to yourself?

I asked Youtube about it.

Documentation:

Content ID acceptance is based on an evaluation of each applicant’s actual need for the tools. Applicants must be able to provide evidence of the copyrighted content for which they control exclusive rights.

Their answer:

Thank you again for your interest in YouTube’s rights management tools. Because you indicated that you’ve never submitted a copyright takedown request to YouTube, we recommend managing your rights by first using our online webform.

I could publish my music using something like CDBaby (the claim was thrown by them, haha), but I don’t care about it, to be honest.
I published the video and music under CC license, I even published a multitrack of this song for free. I didn’t get any harm by this claim.
Just another example of broken Youtube.

1 Like

This is really disturbing. The Publishing companies are destroying the music industry. Rick Beato in his interview with a member of Toto a few days ago said that the Artist doesn’t even get to hear of their music being used and doesn’t discuss it with them first. They put their size 10’s right in and take what they can even from people making no money just for the sake of it. These companies will destroy you tube single handedly and unless Google step in they will find people will stop using them altogether fed up with the constant harassment of advertisements strikes whatever which has spiralled out of control.

2 Likes

this is what techbro rule by algorithm looks like in microdoses

without more privacy and regulation, can’t wait for our “social credit” score to get more and more accurate models of our lives. the older i get the FOSS mindset over convenience does speak to me, I really haven’t bothered spending more time since I’ve been stuck in primarily windows shops for so long…

4 Likes

Did they just add adds in the bottom of the screen?

My short relationship with Youtube as a ”content creator” is about to come to an end very quickly.

Long story short, I’ve made four music videos in the past few weeks from footage that is under the Creative Commons license and available for download at archive.org. Today I noticed there has been a fucking copyright claim to a snippet of my video so it now looks as though I’d copied or borrowed someone else’s music and/or footage.

The video in question has been viewed about six times, I’ve only ”advertised’ it here and to a couple of friends. I don’t have the slightest intention to monetise my videos, ever. So basically I could just let it slide.

What I DON’T want however is to have some random artist’s name under MY song. I also DON’T want to waste my time answering to any fabricated copyright claims.

For a long time now I’ve been thinking Youtube is totally effed up. This right here proves it yet again.

Does anyone know if copyright claims like this are automated somehow or if someone has actually spent their precious time and put in the claim personally for a video that has been viewed SIX times in total?

2 Likes

I guess it´s automated for the most part. I tried to upload a recording of a live show and it got blocked worldwide one second after the upload finished because of copyright claims.

3 Likes

Yea, it’s not YT doing this for fun, they are protecting themselves from major legal hassle before there is any, … sharks everywhere.

Just point a camera at the sky and record; Mix that with your sounds/music to be sure it’s all ‘original’.

1 Like