Whats going on with Youtube?

Like I said, I’ll continue uploading my music on Bandcamp if these copyright claims are getting more regular - which is likely cos I’m using CC material that has probably been used several times for no-budget music videos like mine.

Anyway, I’m kinda glad it’s due to automation. However, in this day and age I wouldn’t even have been surprised if it was a person scouring the Youtube for videos to file copyright claims for.

Edit: Seems like they processed my answer to the claim and are withdrawing the claim. The same text about the rights to the MUSIC in the video description remains tho… Maybe it’ll disappear in the next couple of days.

3 Likes

There is so much video uploaded every second, and the laws are in a way, that the hosting company has to make sure that no copyright laws are broken, that platforms like YouTube need have automatic services running, that check “every” video based on an algorithm. And while breaking the law is way more expensive for them, than a. hiring thousands of people to do that by hand but with better success or b. change the algorithm to have less false positives (but more false negatives) that will cost a lot of money too, they choose the way to strike you and let you reply to it. As I would bet, around 99,99% of the strikes are correct, they will manually check the responses to the claims in person.

another point is: even if someone posted their music unter the CC, sometimes they also upload it to some sharing pages, that start to add them to those databases for the algorithms.

1 Like

In my case the original footage was/is under CC but the copyright claim seemed to suggest the MUSIC was someone else’s. Dunno…

OT

As a sidenote, it feels like social media in general would be far less problematic (extremism etc.) if there were similar filters for those kind of posts as there are for copyrighted material. Then again, I’m not on any of the big social media so what do I know, ha!

I got a strike once saying my song was the same as some other song that couldn’t have sounded different. I contacted the copyright holder for the other track and pointed out there was no infringement and the strike was removed.

Beyond that I have no idea how the system works, all I know is I’m a fucking winner.

8 Likes

Feeling like a winner here as well - the ugly copyright text had disappeared. GTFO my lawn, Youtube algorithms! (Video has nine views AND COUNTING!)

5 Likes

Very soon you’ll get copyright strike for having filmed Tesla & other Starlink satellites. We used to watch the stars, now they’ll watch us. For a fee.

3 Likes

3 Likes

+1

love it when the advert happens mid song while I’m wearing my headphones. “that’s an odd mix… oh, commercial.”

You mean 1 of 2 adverts they put in now.

Lol @ seeing ads on YouTube

When on mobile I use vanced. Thank me later :wink:

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Always good to see an Ad for the Drip plugin in front of a Jacob Collier video. FIRE!!!

That totally does my head in. And is quite confusing sometimes!

Has anyone ever bought any music item in an Ad? Just curious. Dont be embarrassed.

I’m afraid the concept of an ad is more vicious than that.
You’re exposed to a product and think “F***k this” but the day you’re looking for something vaguely similar, it pops up in your head and in the vast ocean of choices it gets a premium seat.
That’s manipulating people’s mind, should be forbidden under the chapter “brain, visual and sound pollution”.

4 Likes

I’m writing a book on this subject currently. People who think advertising doesn’t effect them are just unaware of how it works now. Advertising is a group effort, it hasn’t been one ad one product for decades.

We are all impacted by it, even if you’ve never seen it.

2 Likes

Not from an ad on YouTube, internet or tv.
I already know what I like. FUCK ADS.

basically a waste of time.

@P580C I went to school in commercial art and advertising and am WELL aware of how to apply them to affect the targets. I can think of one ad that got me to try something.

One of the dumbest ad efforts is the “bombard you with ads of a product YOU JUST PAID FOR” come guys, figure out a better algo.

May I reiterate…FUCK ADS.

8 Likes

Suddenly i’m craving Doritos for some reason.

1 Like

Ok, ads suck, but how is YouTube supposed to be free w/o them? Maybe I’m not understanding something fundamental that they do (data mining etc) that could pay for the service besides ads. But sometimes it feels like people just expect everything to be free/ad free. edit: also if you don’t like it, pay for the premium version.

3 Likes