Whats going on with Youtube?

Maybe I’m a bit old fashioned but yeah… I also started to notice some strange changes… ppl who are more famous and respectable than actual artists just because he/she demos gear on yt. Ppl who doing crazy stupid nonsense videos out of 3rd party materials for kids buy art nuevo apartments and crazy cars… I guess it’s called blogging… Are there already blogging bachelor degree in all major universities?

Reaction videos are my pet hate. What a crock of crap.

5 Likes

And yet they’re bizarrely compelling. I occasionally get sucked into clicking on one when it’s about a song I like or something like that. Maybe it’s kind of validating to watch this person have a massively over the top positive reaction to something you like. I mean, most of the time you show mates a new song you like they trash it on first listen, and then you find out two years later how much they now love it and that their collection of the artists back catalogue is double yours and…

By the way, what’s it say that YouTube has an ad free subscription option but Facebook doesn’t?

Dr. John Watson was one of the founders of advertising, but he is best known for the Little Albert experiment. Relatively seedy psych dude and went into advertising where he could use his powers for evil. I have a BS in Psych and an MBA… fuck ads…

2 Likes

That one with the kids listening to Phil Collins was kind of cool tho. And I’m not a Phil fan.

2 Likes

I get what people are saying but you can skip a significant amount of ads before they make you watch one and adults are fully capable of walking away or muting them.

I don’t even know how one can stand these ads. I have none on FB or YT, there are adblockers all over the place, first thing I do even when i see a friends computer/phone without, i install one without asking :wink:

1 Like

H ha I just heard a Coinbase commercial interrupt Freezing Moon. I just laughed and thought of this thread.

Sorry to resurrect this if no one is interested or it’s been talked to death but I have to vent. What is bothering me the most about YouTube is not the Andrew Huangs of the world (even though he’s not my cup of tea- I’m more of a Cuckoo fan) because these people earned their audience and have been doing it for a while. It’s the newer guys who are basically copying and doing the same gear reviews like a week after the more established guys have already said all there is to say. I’m not going to name names but, how in the heck does someone get 6,000 followers by doing exactly what Andrew H does but, a little later? So copycats that spam forums get 6k followers and receive free stuff from companies like TE, meanwhile I’m trying to do some original stuff and I have like 38 followers. I’m not even trying to be a YouTuber seriously but I just don’t get it. I mean, how many Microcosm videos can there be? It all sounds the same. Okay. Rant over. I’m going to go listen to Elektronauts radio on Soundcloud and just breathe. Lyra 8 meditation to follow. Happy Sunday y’all.

6 Likes

I agree about the boring vids seen again and again (i.e. introduction to the basics of the OT… 10 years later).
I own a Microcosm and i have to say it’s indeed too many of the same ambient things with it. If i did not buy it 6 months ago, i would be disguted by now :wink: anyway i guess people doing more interesting stuff with it are too busy doing music rather than doing YT vids.

1 Like

I bought Premium and it’s the best choice i’ve made on the internet that i can remember. I had been trying ad blockers but they didn’t work quite right - there would usually be a blank spot with a timer or some videos wouldn’t work…

It’s very worth it to me to pay… frankly, we cannot claim that YouTube should be free but then complain about ads…

2 Likes

They get 6k followers cuz there’s 7bill people on the planet and not everyone sees everything. So…6k is not even a drop in the bucket. And frankly pretty bad if thats what they are putting all their time into.

I think what’s bothersome is that people set out to BE youtubers as a career choice. That has made me personally avoid all of them. I find it completely pathetic. (just my opin, don’t hate)

The only one I can dig is Tinez. The other guys jump on shit to be first out and, I’m not sure why, it just drives me nuts. Gear who… … … … to be first. (self censored)

We now have little kids that aspire to be youtube stars. My friends kid, 5yrs old wants to do that. WTF. That kid is gonna be a mess when it gets older. Makes me angry and sad.

2 Likes

I don´t think that this is the issue people have but instead it´s with the company behind it and how they track you across the web, even if you pay for their service.

I agree. A lot of reviewers are chewing on the same bone. If you think music is bad you should take a look at the chess community. Everybodys jumping on the streaming band wagon.

2 Likes

I used to have a premium family account for years… till yesterday, the utterly blatant and outright dangerous criminal censorship has gone way way way to far. I refuse to support that shit any longer in any kind whatsoever. I thoughts so months ago, but the others in the familie would said they would have gotten their own individual accounts which would have actually increased YouTubes earnings from our little drop in the ocean. weird dilemma. The family finally came around and agreed that it has gone to far, installed YouTube Vance(Android) and cercube(iOS) to deal with lack of premium based annoyances on their mobiles phones. The “upgrade” to our YouTube apps now even include Picture in Picture, something the official app still blocks to this day. Even with premium.🤌🏻 Personally I couldn’t care less about the quality of the content, lowest common denominator has always been low. Even before youtube🤷🏼‍♂️

1 Like

I realized the chess streaming chess situation this afternoon. not very dignified no😂

I wholeheartedly agree. I’m constantly trying to shield my own kids from it. Tinez is cool because you can tell he enjoys making music and actually makes music (and plays gigs). I’m sorry to be negative and if it bothered me enough, I’d just stop watching, right? My point (I guess) was it’s hard sometimes to filter through all the crap just to get to a video that actually explains a piece of gear or answers a question I have about gear. Rant officially over, I promise.

Me…I’ve given up on those pinheads. They brown nose for gear. So I don’t like or fully trust their reviews. Tho Tinez seems to tell you if he no like, but won’t say don’t buy. None of them use the gear that make sounds I like. Their tunes are diaper for the most part.

I resorting to the old way…

• go to the shop and try
    — slightly more modern addition
  • listen to what people here say and play
  • listen to company demo
  • trust my gut
  • if my gut says it’s okay, get it. If it doesn’t gel, sell and consider it a rental.
2 Likes

Yes! I’m with you on that!

1 Like

I’m actually doing the one-month demo. One thing that I’m trying to decide is whether YouTube Music can replace Spotify for me.

Like a lot of people on this board, my music tastes are quite eclectic so having access to all those curated playlists of super obscure tracks that people put together on YouTube and being able to stream that in the background ad free is quite appealing. The app is not as well designed though, so that’s a bit annoying.

Not having ads and background streaming are surprisingly nice luxuries. If I can cut Spotify out, it might be worth making the switch permanently, but I’m still deciding.