Whats going on with Youtube?

This can be really subjective. I think I’ve trapped myself with that answer a bit :smiley:. I mean I remember when Public Enemy came out, they were considered as extremists by many and still are, they’re def political 200% and they make fantastic music imo. The line between arts and politics can be thin sometimes. As for gangsterism, I’ve never seen anything political about it but yeah, I shook my ass on some gangsta beats cause they’re efficient at it: guilty.

2 Likes

Yes and no. A lot of folks enable approval screening before the post goes up. Many have comments disabled. Or remove posts.

Depends at what you’re looking at.

But why not inform someone that they are on the wrong path. 2 examples….

1 - there was an animator in our class that just did NOT understand motion. You had a a grace period in which you could pull out and get your money back. Is it not helping to let her know it was in her best interest to get her money back?

2 - my buddy always told me the tunes I did were good. They are not. So, I tested this….I gave him one of my tunes under a diff artist name. He said it was trash, I got the truth. The truth can hurt, but it can help too.

Granted 98% of the internet hateful and most comments are not helpful.

Anyways I don’t know why all this positive reinforcement is a thing. It may actually more harmful than the crappy comments.

4 Likes

Great comments.

:+1:

You’re the best, champ.

1 Like

Isn’t gangsterism, by its very nature, a challenge to state authority generally and law enforcement specifically and therefore inherently political?

2 Likes

There are the challengers and then there are the glorifiers….

So yes…and no.

What’s the difference?

One questions authority, while the other makes money off of saying they’d like to kill them, the authoritarians, while they themselves have nothing to do with what they talk about.

1 Like

I don’t think it makes any sense at all to say that art isn’t political if the artist doesn’t actually live the kind of politics they make art about

You make a point here. But from my experience in life Robin Hood is most likely to rob his own hood. I have an European view about it, we don’t have the same “gang culture”, as for I understand it gangs in USA were not automatically founded in a criminal perspective at first, but rather self defense against police or other ethnic groups. Now ok, they challenge the authority but are they really helping others or their pockets? Maybe a few guys like 2 Pac were politically motivated at some point but I honestly doubt it is the case for most of gangsta rappers.

Come on man.
There’s doing it to make a point and there’s doing it to make a buck.

2 Likes

Nah, my only point is that it’s political. So I don’t really see the distinction between a sincere challenge to the state and appropriating the aesthetics of challenging the state to be all that important to the narrow point I’m making

2 Likes

Simple - Thumbs up tells us to believe while thumbs down makes us sceptical. Politics don’t want nations who are skeptical… No, they want sleeping sheeps. Seriously, this is Manipulation.

I was about to start a channel just for sound design but you know what, I don’t want to be a part of it and also don’t want to use and support its lubricated and manipulative platform!

1 Like

I do not find the positive reinforcement neither correct nor interesting, I was just saying that if I don’t like an artistic project I don’t see anything interesting in saying “hey man this sucks”.
A technical advice if I feel suitable for a friend eventually.
As for the political aspect, I can hardly see myself telling a neo Nazi rocker to put more bass a bit of reverb and remove the lyrics, because his project is Nazism, not rock.
On the other hand, downvoting allows me to reject the ideas conveyed.

3 Likes

I’m coming at this as a black American. And thinking about something like gangster rap, I just don’t see how it’s not all tied up with ideas about the illegitimacy of the state. And that’s true whether it’s something like calling out police violence or just being a power fantasy for men and boys.

As for whether or not they actually help anyone, I don’t think it matters. Or at least it’s a different question.

If I have a youtube show where I’m vocally pro labor in the show and behind the scenes I’m doing everything in my power to prevent my staff from organizing, I think it would make perfect sense to say that I’m a hypocrite or not genuinely pro labor. But it wouldn’t change the fact that the content was itself pro labor or at the very least about labor.

4 Likes

Snoop Dog has sold his soul to ads on youtube

Has somebody said Just Eat

1 Like

Well, when I said European, I failed purposely to mention originaly from the Eastern Europe :wink: It would take a long time to explain my point and I would have to get really political about it, probably a bit personnal too (not on you, but about me )and I don’t think it’s the most suitable place for it, and you seem like a nice guy, don’t want to bore you to death :smiley:

2 Likes

Are you trying to tell me NWA, Ghetto Boys, Tupac weren’t make making a social or political statement? Sounds like you are a bit dismissive of the culture. This is music of rebellion it’s just not speaking your language.

I think it was pretty clear.

So you’re an expert on Ganster rap or are you just making assumptions? I think you’re way off on this one. You probably don’t understand what the “gangsters” are talking about. Maybe the music is too graphic for you? It’s not your culture so how would know what it’s like to be from an American hood. Like I said it’s not speaking your language. The music is intended to not appeal to everyone.