Whats going on with Youtube?

I like what youtube is doing, if only for the fact that it reminds people that they are a privately owned company, and that distinctions should be made between private companies and wards of the state… because there are a lot of people who find it convenient to forget.

KRS One.

4 Likes

Classic

1 Like

Knowledge Reins Supreme Over Nearly Everyone.

Used to love the 80’s stuff, Shante, Marley Marl, Kool Moe Dee, Schooly D, Stetsasonic, too many to list.

3 Likes

I dont know what gangster rap in the 90s could mean if Ice T and Ice Cube aren’t gangster rap. And the only reason people might not call Big and Rae gangster rappers is that the term kind of implies West Coast.

didn’t say they weren’t gangstarap videos, but none of those artist are gangsters…

Ice t= Bboy/MC gang affiliated
Cube= MC gang affiliated
BiG= drug dealer affiliated
the Chef- former Drug Dealer/ MC

there is a difference in the west between a gangster, Hustler, drug dealer, and pimp, that’s all I was referring to by my comment.

but they all fall under the gangster rap music genre… agreed

2 Likes

Fair enough. I misunderstood

1 Like

nah I can see that I should have been more clear, especially since my point was about details lol…

Why is it still called Youtube. We dont have tubes in tv anymore?

Facebook is changing its name. I think we should come up with some new names for it.

How about Crapspace. Or ShitPoint.:crazy_face:

Thumbsuptv :+1:

1 Like

if they ever change the name imo it should be something that encourages people to stop blaming the media for everything… maybe something like ’ US ‘, or how about ‘youflakes’, or MirrorTube’

There are still good things on this, you can learn advanced audio programming for free (for example) so it’s not all crap tube, really depends on where you want to wander.

1 Like

Thats true. But its getting to the good stuff. Like wandering through a jungle trying to find a good camp.

1 Like

Not really to me: with time I know what I like, what I’m curious about. Now it’s not really the content Youtube is really pushing towards it’s users, if we’re talking about purely educational and niche things. Captain makes a solid point too: it’s a private company, and if people want to show and see what we would define as crap in priority, they’re not the ones to blame. Now if they’re pushing on purpose extremely divisive content that impacts societies as a whole I would say it’s a different story. I honestly don’t know about YT, but recent testimonies against Facebook don’t make me really optimistic on it.

It’s so tailored to what you’ve viewed it seems harder to find anything anymore.
The algo is annoying.

I miss when it used to throw totally random shit your way. Now it just sticks to what you’ve seen.

3 Likes

So lets judge your favorite genre with the worst it has to offer. We can cherry pick all night.

hey man…I was HUGE into rap/hip hop from the late 70s to mid 90s. so dont go there.
but you can NOT deny there is a HUGE grip of shit hop, that is just hate driven. or at least portrayed that way to make a buck. BUT there is just as much good shit as there is bad shit. I’m just not on top of it anymore. not as much these days anyways. but I do agree there is plenty of good out there,
but there is NO message in a track that promotes beating women, killing people and flashing guns cars and gold. thats just dumb.

have at it with my favorite genre. no lyrics, abstract procedural art, no meaning track names and album titles. :wink: the “genre” has a stupid moniker, but I just call it electronic music. jazz is kind of a tough one too.

3 Likes

Dang right. GM Flashes Message was a warning that they should have listened to. Almost prophetic.

1 Like

I just see hypocrisy of it all. It’s easy to point at the bad guy. The scary “gangster” talking about killing and drugs but yet we’re completely consumed in violence at every corner. Turn on the tv, go to the movies or play video games and that’s ok, it’s just a problem when someone from the hood raps about it. What’s really different here? Is Pulp Fiction not gangster rap? If you think about it gangster rap is way down on the totem pole of problems we have with violence in the media. They’re just an easy target. That’s why this is a political genre of music, rappers actually had to go to court and defend their rights to free speech. Has a Hollywood exec gone for a similar reason? Probably not.

2 Likes

I just see it as different levels of creativity. It’s an easy, go-to cliche to rap about women, guns and cars, etc, and I roll my eyes when it’s misogynistic, homophonic, etc. It takes a different level of skill to bring a message that’s more positive and might seem weak, vulnerable, or whatever. KRS-One really is the teacher and I personally think Dead Prez nailed the messaging with this one:

3 Likes

This is how I got into rap in the first place. All them PMRC hearings with Dee Snyder and Zappa, and the court case with Mr Mixx standing up in court and winning against all the odds. I think that era formed a real bond between rock and hip-hop, as both were being heavily blamed at the time for all sorts of nonsense.

4 Likes