Whats going on with Youtube?

Yeah and it’s a great app. You also get the immense backlog of vinyl uploads and what not that is on YouTube. So the library on YT music is pretty incredible.

Yeah agreed. It’s important that the content is watchable. Personally I refuse to add mid roll ads, because they completely kill the flow of videos. I also steer clear of content creators that do implement those.

The product talks of sponsors I can understand. Easy to skip through. But the mid roll yt ads that you can’t skip really suck

3 Likes

Most of the vinyl uploads I see have nothing to do with the musicians / labels that release them.

The YouTubers claim they’re giving exposure :joy:

My Google profile they’ve garnerned is eclectic. Good luck on Profiling me you wankers.

2 Likes

Do tell on the “way around it”…haha. I have been debating getting this since I stream YT all day in the background - love all the house and techno curator channels for example. The ads drive me insane, and they happen in the middle of a song.

These advertisers are so thick. Instead of buying their product you despise them so much for ruining your track you dont touch them. I dont get the whole thing.

6 Likes

I pay for premium. Cannot imaging watching much youtube without it. Though I am an Amazon Prime member, I NEVER watch IMDb shows because of the commercials. Amazon removed most of their good free shows and transferred them to IMDb so they could show commercials. If there was a pay version with no commercials I would consider it.

My understanding of how it all works is not that you will buy something instantaneously but that the brand will lodge itself in your brain somewhere. Doesn’t matter how negatively you view it at the time (after all TV advertising back in the day was full of annoying jingles and the like) but when it comes to actually buying something, you will remember it. For example, when faced with numerous toothpastes at the supermarket, you are more likely to go with something you know deep down over something you don’t know.

3 Likes

Same.Same.

The older I get, the more I refuse to watch commercials, and more I don’t mind paying for the privilege.

3 Likes

Ive bought the same toothpaste brand for 40 years. I did a test once on how suggestible i am. Im just a bad example though and a lot of folk would be much easier to sell to.

1 Like

@AdamJay
Yeah.
Also, free stuff generally comes with a price. Can’t have the cake and eat it too.

2 Likes

Free just means you pay in ways that aren’t money.

4 Likes

im “poor” and old I dont mind the commercials since I cant afford them…own elektrons is my “f… It” before the poor-house.

It’s great that there are two options on how to pay.

1 Like

what I find incredibly weird about this…is that, people get all self conscious about filming themselves doing this stuff…THEN POST IT for all to see. so why the discomfort while filming.

baffling.

I think that’s part of the idea behind her song/video.

1 Like

well you guys convinced me, and now I have premium. it’s pretty amazing. I have been sitting here writing tunes and streaming Japanese city pop all day with no ads or even “are you still there?” interruptions.

Plus the premium music app is a real nice bonus.

2 Likes

I still don’t get the point of not using an adblocker…

2 Likes

This. adblocker for every single website and newpipe for YouTube on mobile.

No subscription to pay and everything just loads so much faster.

5 Likes

YT constantly changes how they serve ads to break adblockers. Adblockers don’t work on the official app, etc.

I use adblockers for everything for decades, work in tech and I got annoyed enough to find a way to pay YT Premium to get rid of them… Another part of my decision was that I read through YT Premium FAQ and this pushed me:

Will creators still be paid with YouTube Premium?

Yes. In fact, YouTube Premium gives a secondary revenue stream for creators in addition to what you’re already earning today through ads.

1 Like