Whats going on with Youtube?

I am using Adblockers since they exist and never had a problem.

The only time i see ads is when the jailbreak crashes on the iPad and i am all of a sudden terrified by the amount of ads and close YT right away. It is not even usable for me as such, i don’t need more visual/sound pollution in my life neither Alphabet needs more money.

1 Like

How did you never had a problem? YT had specific updates targeted on passing through adblockers, that started a little battle between blockers and Google playing a game of whack-a-mole, I remember very vividly when uBlock and others started to not work on some videos. There was a whole period of months where Google was A/B testing different techniques.

Yeah, I don’t jailbreak my devices, already work on debugging shit systems for life and when I jailbroke it was a constant “I need to fix X so Y can work” so I don’t do it.

Alphabet doesn’t need more money but my life time is worth more than having to wait for YT ads to play on devices that I can’t adblock such as TVs. Yeah, I can try piHoling stuff but, again, is more time of my life being wasted on fighting ads.

Nothing against you but they have beaten me into submission on the convenience…

I use adblocker too and have never had a problem with it.
Also, I would never pay for political manipulation.

I thought about giving YouTube my money for that reason, but what irks me about all these platform businesses (YouTube, Spotify etc al), is that they derive their main value / differentiation factor from 3rd party content, yet they capture the biggest share of the value created for themselves…in YouTube’s case it’s especially upsetting, because so much of the content on it is truly home made and motivated by communal sharing etc…so paying them those 10€ a month just seems extra wrong to me somehow.

But I hear you, the amount of advertisement is ridiculous. I use ad blockers on my laptop that do work, don’t work on my mobile phone though, so every time I watch something on YouTube on my phone it’s painful really.

I’ve been a premium customer for about a year, mostly because I tend to use the app, smart TV and Chromecast for most of my viewing and I can’t be arsed with adblockers for all of that.

What I have started to notice though is that when I’m searching for something, about 1 in every 10 search results is some completely unrelated video about how I should hate or love Joe Biden or some other shit I have no interest in (or, more interestingly, history of looking at). It’s very obviously trying to get me to click on more popular/more divisive shit by new means, as I’m obviously not doing enough of that for their liking.

Twats.

7 Likes

I also pay for not watching ads, my bro has this software installed on pi:

https://pi-hole.net/

1 Like

Youtube is shit. Premium is a must on Apple devices as well.

Search results / recommendations are useless. When I’m clicking on an ambient video or look for some DIY woodworking videos I want of course similar videos. It’s hardly find any in those crappy recommendations.

I heard from a Youtube/Google researcher that 70% of the viewed videos all around the world are those Youtube recommends. It’s by design. And that design sucks. Youtube is dead. Just like google. Sad it’s still the best out there. Monopoly.

Not a must on Apple computers though.

If you’re using the whole ecosystem, then yes. I dislike adding a bottleneck like a pihole.

I went back to Chrome just for watching YT.
Really can recommend this one, already mentioned:

Yea, me too. I just wanna get on with my life,… I like that kind of stuff and probably I’ll get back into it when I retire. For now, accepting and moving forward. Wu Wei.

I use a browser add-on “Distraction-free Youtube” (with Premium), especially when I want to learn something from a YT video :white_check_mark:

1 Like

On iOS, the Brave browser blocks all ads as default. Ive been using it for a while now with YT and it works rather well.
The Brave playlist feature can also be used to watch videos offline.
It’s a bit like premium, but not as slick (but free)!

2 Likes

I watch YouTube using Opera (desktop) and Vivaldi or the DuckDuckGo Browser (mobile) and never see any adverts when adblocking is turned on.

1 Like

Brainwashing. They are putting subliminal messages into your feed. This is worse because you think you are safe from ads/erroneous vid recommendations etc. being a member, so you lower your guard. If you weren’t a member you know shit is coming, and are prepared for it.

2 Likes

It’s not very subliminal.

Pretty fucking liminal really.

Other than that I completely agree, they’re using us as guinea pigs for their little suggestibility experiments.

3 Likes

I’m beginning to think nothing is honest any more. Maybe the new commisionaire appointed by Pretty Patel will sort it out. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You’re funny.

1 Like

That’s exactly why i cannot stand being hostage for 30sec

As we say in my language, the shoemakers have the worst shoes :wink:

I’d rather spend time setting up an adblocker once for all than being stuck between « whatch that shite or give me your money » blackmailing. There are so many convenient ways to avoid ads without much hassle, at the end it’s a matter of priorities.
Most of YT videos are poorly made noisy vidz about crap, making already millions of view. Just a sad circus show generating millions. I like tutorials and useful, thoughtful stuff, don’t wanna pay to sponsor another RnB video clip or a video about a cat playing.

Having to jailbreak multiple devices so I can have adblockers setup for the YT app when I’m not on my Wi-Fi (if I had setup a pi-hole, which I haven’t done in years) is really a show stopper on “convenient”. It’s not convenient to jailbreak my stuff, it’s not convenient to troubleshoot a Raspberry Pi that I depend on for DNS resolution if I setup a pi-hole, that’s where the bar of hassles to have blocked ads for free vs pay to make it go away for me stops. I prefer to shell out 3€/month than having to deal with all that setup (jailbreak, raspberry Pi, etc.) for the rest of my devices’ usage lifetime, hehe.