Whats going on with Youtube?

It definitely reminds me of my childhood :slight_smile: Same setting, my mom owned a Pinto even lol :joy:

1 Like

I never used to like him, his music I still don’t, but after watching a couple of his less cringey videos I actually think he is ok, he has a talent for what he does and puts the work in, I just don’t happen to like that style, but seems like plenty do so that is why he gets the views.

That said, a couple of times he has made me LOL with one of his funny comedy edits.

7 Likes

If he had a TV show that was clearly aimed at younger people, would us jaded Elektronauts bother to form a negative opinion? Or would we be just glad that there’s a synth-centric tv show in existence that’s actually quite good for beginners?

5 Likes

Woah ! 5k to 10k per video.
Fuck knows how much the ‘midi pack is incredible ‘ wanker is getting. I mean if nothing else he’s a guy with a chronically low excitement threshold. He’d probably faint if he saw ableton 4

3 Likes

I pay 200 euros per year for listening just to one radio station.
Is it that crazy good you may ask ? no. so why I pay ?
GEZ germany ! lol.
would be so nice of them to get me that youtube thingy for free.

2 Likes

This YouTube ad conversation was timely. I just took my daughter to sleep and put on her usual lullaby music. Never once had an advert in it before (and it runs for three hours). Tonight something featuring Scatman fucking John came on twice in the first ten minutes. Frère Jacques, Frère SKIIIIII-BAP-BA-BADDA-BA. Ideal.

It’s been escalating for a while. I get the impression we’re at the part of the marketing scheme where anyone who still hasn’t got premium is basically being told to pay up or fuck off.

Time to investigate some of the adblock suggestions earlier in the thread, see if they work better than ones I’ve tried in the past.

Otherwise, we can vote with our feet of course and use alternative hosting sites where possible (Vimeo doesn’t have intrusive ads). But for those looking to build an audience with video content, is there a realistic alternative?

3 Likes

:joy: oh jezuz

2 Likes

I’m the kind of dick that reports ads as inappropriate. Does anyone do that to screw with the algos?

5 Likes

I had a friend who was using those 10 hour long rodent & insect “repellent” videos on YouTube. Who knows if the frequencies are even there after compression, but it supposedly makes annoying high pitched noises that scare them off.

Well the one she was using stopped being effective. I guess the critters in the walls got used to the sound, or came back, or whatever, and she tried another one, turned her bluetooth speaker all the way up one night before going to bed.
6 hours later, some Mazda ad with ultra grindy Dubstep came blasting through the house and she woke up in a panic attack.

11 Likes

:joy:

Dubstep heart attack. What a way to go.

4 Likes

Thing is if youtube piss the audience off enough then they won’t have an audience any more.

Creators will find other platforms, youtube will lose out.

Like for example https://lbry.com/

5 Likes

I think Google / YouTube are so cocky with their virtual monopoly, they think they can bully us into submission. And the majority of their audience are too invested to take a stand (or probably even care)

Nice that lbry is trying to get something going :+1:. Have to start somewhere.

2 Likes

Anyone else get the bloody ear wax one???

I think this is likely.

IMG_20200805_231323

10 Likes

The Meaty version :smiley:

3 Likes

Grammarly and the midi pack ones are relentless. I’d probably welcome those Masterclass lessons from Hans Zimmer & Deadmau5 again to break up the monotony. They must have paid a small fortune for all the adverting space. Hope it hasn’t paid off!

But using DuckDuckGo for around 80% of my searching, and can get by watching most Youtube videos from DuckDuckGo, so that’s removing most of annoying ads for me.

1 Like

There’s also Startpage, which gives much better search results.

Opera has adblocking built in too, so I rarely see a YT advert on there.

“You need a great burger? I got you.”

3 Likes

:hamburger: :hamburger: :hamburger:

2 Likes