What's your latest purchase & what are your intentions with it? [pics ftw] (Part 2)

BTW, if anyone else was having problems getting the SQ64 updated because the Korg Updater wasn’t recognizing it, you have to do the following.
Open Korg’s Uninstaller app. Check the midi list to see where the SQ64 is. If it’s at 10 or greater, you have to delete the midi device to move the Korg up the list. It has to be 9 or higher before it’ll be recognized. Stupid? Yes, very dumb, and it’s one of those things that always shocks me about these big companies. This is the only time I’ve ever had to deal with it before. Don’t worry about having to uninstall your midi devices, they automatically reinstall when you plug them back in.
To uninstall using the Korg uninstall utility/app, click the options button, and uncheck the box that says "Delete KORG MIDI Device only. Then click ok and checkmark all the boxes you’re comfortable with uninstalling, including the SQ64. Click next, and then yes. Once the uninstall happens, power cycle your SQ64, and see if it move up the list. I had a lot of USB audio devices I had to uninstall before it worked, took about 3 times.

Once that’s done, reopen the kmupdate app, open the SQ64 update file, and then click the update button. Once it’s done, power cycle the SQ64, and you’re all good. Hopefully that saves someone some time as I had to watch a God damn 16 minute video from Tim Shoebridge or whatever his name for the 1-2 minutes of useful information. Come on Tim!

Sorry Tim, you’re still cool.

7 Likes

Just got a cool package sent from the guys at Bastl, to make an demo for the upcoming device that is in the little white box, but got a SoftPop 2 as well in the process! Can’t wait to try this little thing I’ve been very curious about. Seems like a very fun acid box with a very easy way to create sequences on the fly.

20 Likes

Softpop looks really nice…hoping to try it out soon too.
Bastl is doing some great stuff!

3 Likes

Just got this in the post…
I imagine I’m going to have to learn a bit of Python/OfxLua really as it seems a bit abandoned by Critter and Guitari, but basically I’m going to make some flashing lights to accompany my “music”.

(p.s. look, it doesn’t count as buying gear cos it’s VIDEO)

8 Likes

If you want to fool yourself, go. :rofl:

4 Likes

The Op6 updater has similar problems. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

1 Like

8 Likes

Folks, is there a new trend, in which gear gets shipped in an oversized box with minimal packaging, that I’m not aware of?
Haha, twice this week now.

Synth is amazingly well built for the cost. Haven’t powered it up yet, but these knobs, and the housing are impressive. Even the mini keys are surprisingly not mini filling. Nice.
Purpose- To take my mind off the existential dread of being middle aged.
P.S.
I got this in literally two days! I don’t know if Sweetwater added distribution centers to their company, but it was seriously buying a pack of pencils from Amazon with same day shipping levels of fast. Big trade off as there was no candy inside. :worried:

10 Likes

It does feel remarkably solid — I remember one interview where someone from ASM mentions that the metal base is helpful for poly aftertouch, since you need a strong surface to press down on (and so it doesn’t warp from use over time).

Enjoy! May your existential dread be washed away in a sea of custom wavetables :sparkles:

1 Like

I just received a bunch of new cables today. And I will refrain from posting a picture of these. (You all know how cables look like, do you?)

Goal: Finally I’m able to connect my A4s individual outs to a mixer and try some more serious mixing. Stay tuned.

4 Likes

Picked up a Roland FA-06 from Gumtree tonight for my son. He was learning on a Yamaha EZ-220 which was ideal but time for an upgrade.

Powered speakers arriving tomorrow so great excuse to hook it up to my stuff tonight so we could try it out. Pretty impressed with the ease of use and overall sound.

7 Likes

Intention: enjoy 14 hours of Eddie’s rasping voice.

1 Like

On a whim, a Polyphonic Whale. A slightly more engineered Wingie, I guess, with the additional benefit of running off AAA batteries. Arrived yesterday after waiting forever post-preorder.

The channels on the right - with Clouds, granular sampler, reverb and looper, all controlled by tilt, light sensitive diode lots of fun. The left side more about meditative tones. All of it quite nice to play with (although I suspect it may have a fairly short shelf life as toy-of-the-moment, it is a nice one of those type of things).

Not many demos online yet, but here’s one showcasing the looper

12 Likes

what, you didn’t hear about the global bubble-wrap shortage?

3 Likes

The actual purchase was made a few months ago, but this finally arrived. Intention, to get mathematical!!!

16 Likes

These both arrived last week.

Intention: ripping basslines and searing leads in a tiny footprint. I really like everything about this thing.

Intention: Roland Stuff. Jury is still out on this one. Sounds good but has some classic Roland UX annoyances.

8 Likes

That’s not a workstation, it’s a WARSHIP!

2 Likes

It certainly is and it’s the baby of the family compared with the FA 7 and 8. According to Roland.

Do you have limited space in your studio, or need to transport your keyboard to gigs and recording sessions often? If so, the mobile FA-06 and its 61-note velocity-sensitive keyboard is a smart choice.

To be fair, it’s really light and probably considered mobile for this sort of thing but it still looks massive when next to my other gear.

1 Like

Look what showed up! Intentions are to… yeah, read.

19 Likes

D’Angelico Melanie Faye signature guitar

Love the looks, playability, and tone! The only flaw is the nut - it’s got the strings high enough that any chords I play next to it can easily be pulled out of tune.

Intentions: Play it regularly as part of my rotation of favorite guitars. Then when the strings start to feel worn, take it to the music shop to have the nut filed down.