What's your TECHNO setup

Piece of piss.

1 Like

There we go. I’ve still got the model:samples too. Just using the laptop for recording and a few FX. Re-installed it today and now it can run at 64 buffer at 96khz, just using the DT as a master in out, for now. Well worth doing, plus iLok kept freaking out and crashing daws.

I don’t really use the speakers as I don’t want to terrorize the neighbours. 3 more months and I can get something a bit more beefy…

I’m not sure what’s next, maybe Softube Console 1 or UAD Apollo Twin or just a Quad Satellite. I sent the Microgranny back, might get another one. Then some more Eurorack, then the monitors + treatment.

8 Likes

This set up is just so fun right now. The 1010BlackBox has made my long evolving synth stuff so much easier to just play out and get together. Not even sure I need the computer monitor in the center anymore. But, yeah this is really fun!

14 Likes

Temporarily adding back the Digitakt to my setup to play some live streams:

The rack is a modified Make Noise Shared System:

8 Likes

That does seem like a bunch of fun! Glad you dig the blackbox. It just makes things less complicated!

1 Like

Been playing with this setup for a little while. Compact (for me) yet deep tekno nighttime rig.

15 Likes

OT + VIRUS Ti was extremely powerful and fun, although quite frustrating in the beginning because the Ti doesn’t save until you tell him. The A4 in that regard is much more “forgiving” if you zone out and switch songs for example.
What I missed was a few more samples channels to do fun stuff or just to add in sounds, vocals or do funky real-time sampling and mangling with the OT.
Great thing about the virus is the EQ so you can do some mixing and clean-up which give the set a more produced feel.
Currently I am working on a live-set with just the OT, the DFAM as an Acid-box/ 303 and an Echosystem. While the set’s with the Ti or A4 were song-bases which I could perform on, the planned set is basically a DFAM-Acid-Jam with the OT providing beats, doing transitions and some looping.

8 Likes

Current set up (sans mixer). Thinking about adding a poly synth to the bunch later this year.

4 Likes

Two boxes, main out over the Heat. Trying to stick with a duo at the moment, preparing something to play live away from home in two weeks. Nice and simple, nothing too much to wrap my head around.

At home I’m running the A4 over the beautiful Empress Reverb and have the Oto Bam and the DIG for OT Cue send and return. But today when I did a first run through of the set, I didn’t touch the Cue effects ever. So I’m wondering if I should even bring them. Just the two Elektron boxes and the Launchcontrol XL (plus the needed Usb midi hub) are plenty to haul around maybe… (not bringing the Heat either I think)

12 Likes

Have you done any live sets before? If not less is always more. Two Elektron boxes are already plenty to keep track of.

3 Likes

Totally agree! You can always add stuff once you get comfortable with your setup.

1 Like

Yes, no, sort of haha? No, seriously: I did a first set for three friends last month, at home. Was about an hour of material. Did it on the Octatrack mainly just as mixer. Plus tracks prearranged on the DT and DN. Also then I had a Cue Out FX loop on the Octa that I didn’t touch.
That setup worked well, but felt very much like I was just running through prearranged tracks, going from pattern to pattern. The “live” part was mainly muting and unmuting and playing with effects knobs. Learned from that that I’d like to slowly work towards more live elements.

So now with just OT and A4 I’ve scaled things down even more: just the two machines, and most tracks only consisting of one or two patterns. Plus I’ve took a lot of care in setting up Performance Macros on the A4 and for example setting up the Filter mods on both machines to work well when changing Mod Depth etc. So I have more room to play with tweaking sounds live, without losing control completely. I think the “live” element will be a bit more enjoyable and greater then the previous setup this way! Plus, like discussed, only two boxes, so I’ll dare to tweak more without losing the overview of what’s happening.

This next “set” is nothing big, it’s for a long weekend holiday with four friends (instead of three friends last time haha). First time I’m playing away from home though! Test run yesterday was about an hour of material. Through away one track that was a bit too nasty uptempo industrial ravey - love that but didn’t fit the rest, and also not this small setting I think - and am writing some new songs upcoming days, maybe I’ll end up with close to an hour and a half.

5 Likes

It’s interesting, when I make music at home or jam, I do tend to use the FX loop. So I know how it works, and would thínk I have it in my working system. But both full set tryouts really tell otherwise. Even then, doing a set under little pressure, at home, it turns out it’s already enough to focus just on the tracks it seems and I just forget to use the external effects.

Maybe it has to do with the Cueing: The internal A4 and OT effects I can just use per track, or use the Scenes I’ve already setup. But with the external effects loop you have to really select the right tracks, otherwise you fade in tracks in the FX loop that are muted still. I think that extra step of concentration is maybe why I’m not using it on the fly, not knowing by heart what’s running on what track and what’s not.

That is exactly what I did for my set’s. 1 or 2 patterns on the OT with a couple of scenes and on the A4 a lot of very specific performances.

Also a lot of standardisation. For example, performances for each kit were layed out the same.
Like Perfomace knob A + B controlled something from Track 1, D+ E for track 2, F+G for Track 3, I+J for Track 2, C+H for fx.
Stuff like that gives stability and help to keep the focus on performing rather than technical things which I don’t want to deal with while heating things up.

1 Like

@Andreas_R

Obviously the performance knobs should be A+F for Track One, B+G for synth track 2, etc. What are you, a sociopath? :joy:

Otherwise: great to read, seems like I’m on the right track!!

2 Likes

Dude, I am lazy! And I hate remembering where stuff is. So, this seemed … I guess reasonable is a bit strong if I get you right! But yeah, makes performing super easy.
And to give the guys from elektron a big than you for having those super well thought-out featuters in their instruments.
Do you got stuff online to listen or watch?

1 Like

@Andreas_R I was just joking, because I do the exact same but then I bundle the performance knobs vertically in pairs instead of next to eachother :wink:

Yeah man would be honored if you have a look! I post a lot of my jams on IG, under this name. Curious what you’ll think :slight_smile:

Are these the Thonk knob upgrade? Any tips for how to fit them properly?

The A4 reverb is amazing for true synthesis. I rarely use my Space anymore. Just run stuff thru the AK.

4 Likes

Yes.
Um, just put them on and tighten the grub screw.

2 Likes