Where have the boys from Boards of Canada gone?

When I got into then it was late 98 early 99ish, and there was nothing known about them. No one knew who they were. They had these cryptic websites with dark loops playing and hidden stuff and references to events.

Along with amazing tracks, made for a very intriguing vibe.

A lot of that stuff is archived on the BoC pages website. There was this really cool community that poured over all their stuff.
Adding to the vibe.

But it’s the music. Even tho it’s not necessarily a new vibe, they did it SO WELL.
I remember our sound engineer at the game studio I was at heard it, he lost his shit. And when my buddy and I were monitor shopping we brought Olson and Telephasic Workshop along as ref tracks. No one had heard of BoC, but everyone tripped out over the quality of the recording.

And for me, Music Has the Right to Children was my intro. Knowing they drew their name and influence from the National Film Board of Canada made it that much more personal for. That album, to me, sounded like a day of television in Canada. Down to the little NFB vignettes.

7 Likes

Wouldnt it be great if they did an unplugged version. Like live show with just acoustic instruments

That’s not for me.

3 Likes

There’s a lot that I love about BoC, but this is what keeps me coming back. I get such a strong sense of nostalgia for early 80’s Canadian television, and just Can culture from that era in general. Somehow BoC always makes me think of my dad yelling at my brother or I to get up and adjust the aerial while he reclined deeper into his beat up La-Z-Boy

2 Likes

Has anyone listened to Geogaddi backwards?

2 Likes

Honestly, like @QBass said, it’s probably become my favourite album over the years too. It’s easy to get stuck wanting bonsai artists who remain the same throughout their career but the organic growth and changes you hear on Campfire are so compelling.

4 Likes

Am I really going to regain my youth ?

I haven’t. But I sure will, so thanks for the tip kind stranger. A lot of stuff gets better played backwards. Not least Judas Priest.

…and sped up and slowed down tracks. < >

YouTube algorithm pushed this on me. I really like it, whatever it is.

Lots of BoC conspiracy theories in the comments.

4 Likes

Thanks thats a great find on my radar now for a conspiracy. So like BOC in many places. Hmmm. Maybe they found it as well?

well… listening to it presents a quite compelling case that it is indeed BoC, that’s for sure. the story is pretty dubious, at best. and either way I wouldn’t think it indicates an upcoming record. none of it sounds like their recent work to me. sounds like some of the more sketch-like material found on “Some Old Tunes” or “Societas X Tape.”

then again… could be something they did. even if just to see what happens. they do like to have fun with their music.

1 Like

Seems more likely to be somebody emulating them, who made up the found in a thrift store story to add some mystery and magic to it.

2 Likes

Listening to the tracks though that wouldnt be such an easy task.

I have another conspiracy that BOC got hold of this tape before they started the lofi route. And plagiarised the idea off someone before them. Its all been done before :partying_face:

1 Like

Yeah, not easy, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be done. Or maybe it is them, but they created the deleted youtube channel themselves. Basically, I don’t believe the “found in a dustbin” story at all :slight_smile:

1 Like

But stranger things have happened. Famous artwork sold for millions being found in a refuse tip. :cowboy_hat_face:

Thats where I’m at. There are a countless number of people who’ve been inspired by BoC and adopted styles from them.

Listening to the music im hearing traces of BoC and a touch of FSOL.

Def not them.

If you listen to their early stuff they were well crap. Sampling Trapped by Abrams springs to mind. Real cheeseball stuff. Why cant this be legit and dropped into the boys hands on an outing. Their may be loads of these tapes scattered around pre BOC.

2 Likes