Where have the boys from Boards of Canada gone?

:joy::joy::joy: sweet

1 Like

Sean from Autechre got asked about BoC during his recent Twitch AMA. Paraphrasing his response: “Nope no news about BoC. I don’t know anything. Even if I did know, I wouldn’t tell you lot. They’re probably in the future somewhere worrying about the past” :joy::joy::joy:

21 Likes

Ya that bit was cool :+1:t6:
That whole AMA was pretty cool, kinda got me a little hyped to werk on sounds.

2 Likes

While you wait for news from the boys, enjoy this slowwww

2 Likes

I can’t get down with this. I’m a real traditionalist.

2 Likes

This is cool as hell, thanks for sharing.

Watching George Romeros Season of the Witch and heard this sample from Geogaddi

Couldn’t find it anywhere on YT so I just phone recorded.
and posted a shit version from the flick. theres two samples if come across so far…

im sure theres a bunch more from this flick.

6 Likes

Amo Bishop Roden needs to be even slower than that!

edit: if not, original speed, of course

1 Like

I hardly dare post this…

7 Likes

They said around the time they made it that they wanted to make an album that felt like the movie Zabriskie Point. I haven’t seen the movie, but to me the album sounds like getting really baked and hanging out on the beach for weeks on end, like pure escapism. It kind of made sense after Geogaddi because that one felt almost too heavy. That said, it did grow on me a bit, but I definitely don’t return to it often.

Obviously, there’s a lot of BoC fan in here. Just wondering if anyone has been able to recreate their signature extra dry bass sound. I’m not talking about the famous ROYGBIV bass, I’m talking about THAT sub bass they use to subtly lift off many of their song all over their albums :
An Eagle in Your Mind (from 3:35)
Music is math (from 0:57)
Sunshine recorder (from 1:50)
Julie & Candy (from 0:26)
The Beach at redpoint (from 1:50)
…and so one…

It sounds like the most normal bass sound you can possibly get, but I feel I haven’t it anywhere else. It’s such a perfect sound; subtle, natural and powerful at once. I never been able to recreate it and no producer ever talks about it.
Could it be a simple sine processed through an old Akai sampler?

PS. I’d love (and I’ll try) to reacreate it with a Digitakt.

sounds like a shitload of chorus on the bass. [referencing An Eagle in Your Mind]

Which could suggest a Juno?

(I’ve not specifically listened to the time stamps btw)

I dont think it matters. it almost sounds like it could be a bass guitar. you just chuck some vintage chorus on it and yer gold. [I only say vintage…cuz you know…BoC right?]

1 Like

Chorus? I never thought about it. I rarely use that effect.

It could indeed be a regular vintage bass à la Serge Gainsbourg/MelodyNelson/Cargo Culte… with load of chorus to make it sound like a synth (??).

1 Like

sorry I didnt mean vintage bass…I meant vintage chorus…something 70s-80s-ish

who knows WHAT they do…all I know is it sounds crazy good.
they did mention the process they shit out of stuff tho.

these all sound like Japanese saw waves to me, the ‘An Eagle in Your Mind’ bass sounds like it may have gentle stereo chorus and reverb to give it width and size. others have slow, mild panning, which could be the 100% wet signal through a stereo chorus, but on a low modulation setting as there isn’t a lot of pitch fluctuation. they’re all very light on the filter envelope which gives it a more smooth, even , natural tone. i doubt they use the chorus on the RE-501/SRE-555, at least not in those songs you mentioned, as it’s not a subtle effect and not stereo (it’s loud and obvious and phasey). i think what BOC excel at is deceptive simplicity and lots of care and detail in mixing

1 Like

here’s a SIMPLE sample. basic bass patch. 2 dry, 2 with chorus…

knocked it out super sloppy quick
it probably coulda been more chorus-y.

more exaggerated…

I mean not quite the same…

1 Like

Hey, that’s pretty close actually. Good job !! And thanks for sharing.

What synths/settings have you been using? Most of the time I tried to recreate it with the synths I had, it didn’t had the right amount of punch.

PS. I prefer it without the chorus (or with most subtle settings). I like the contrast in their music between hyper treated synths and that kind of super simple/dry bass.