Where is the Nord Drum 4?

Anyone else surprised that Nord hasn’t released a Nord drum 4?
The Nord drum 2 is widely popular and quite hard to find for a reasonable price.
Nord drum 3 looks great but supposedly is missing a few features the 2 had (an issue with reverb noise too…?).

Anyway, I’m mainly curious if there are any legitimate/trustworthy rumours floating about regarding a new Nord Drum.

3 Likes

Don’t hold your breath, they will keep going on the 3 for a while. If you can live with the pads (and without trig inputs) the ND3 isn’t really much of a step down from the ND2.

3 Likes

I’ve contacted Nord about any future drum synths and never received a response. :frowning:

2 Likes

Please god, no! (I mean, I really really want a ND with ALL the features.)

But also yes at the same time.

1 Like

I have both the ND2 and ND3P. As long you use pads or MIDI to play/sequence it, and turn the reverb off, it’s 99% the same experience. There are even a few QOL improvements on the 3P when it comes to sounds vs kits. The handful of missing parameters on the 3P aren’t a big deal for me in practice, but I can understand how that might create FOMO if you’re thinking about it in the abstract. The pads are super expressive and if I only had the ND2 without the Nord Pad, I’d feel like I was missing a big part of what makes these units special. The way they use velocity sensitivity for expression is perfectly suited to playing live.

That said, if they announce a Nord Drum 4 at some point, I’m sure I’ll be all over it. I love these things.

5 Likes

The key word here is supposedly. And yet the misinformation will likely continue to be propagated into the next century. Thankfully the user manuals are available for download, and the MIDI implementation charts reveal that the differences in specs have more to do with reorganization of information based on physical layout and named values.

Also, reverb is quite useful for creating ‘physical modeling’ percussion sounds. If used with subtlety rather than as a mere send effect, it’s a valuable addition. Or, has been stated in this thread, one could just turn it off. Options are nice, especially if you’re a performing drummer and your drum kit is not necessarily attached to a computer.

Speaking of computers, the Nord Drum 2 manager hasn’t been updated since 2013 and isn’t 64-bit compatible. In other words, it won’t work on contemporary versions of macOS. The Nord Drum 3P manager doesn’t have this problem.

As for a future version of Nord Drum, no one here can answer that question.

3 Likes

The parameter differences between the ND2 and ND3 were a non-issue for me. The form factor/hardware choices however, was not. For my studio layout and workflow the ND2’s trigger inputs and seperation of the synth brain from the pads are preferable. And while having on-board reverb is useful, it’s not a big deal for me.

I agree, and this is why I currently have two ND2s. The first one I bought was just the brain. The second one I bought came with pads. Now, that’s a brain too much, so selling one of them is TODO.

1 Like

Somebody got blacklisted.

Also I never understood how much people are worrying about the missing parameters. This thing is well laid out and quick to work with. Reverb isn’t as bad as everyone makes it to be, I’d never 100% it, but for minor efx not the worst there’s ever been, plus you can easily remove it from all the sounds. I love my 3P and we’ll probably have it forever.

2 Likes

I would love to get my hands on one. It’s on my to get list since I would love to incorporate another lively dynamic

1 Like

got a nd3 for 300, modded the pads off and have a nd2esque module now for 25% of its price

1 Like

I only had my 3P for a short while but I didn’t have any issues with the reverb :man_shrugging: It’s a utility effect and I think it does its job ok.

The 3P is a great synth and fits Nord’s lineup of stage performance devices well.

Most of the complaints I hear are from studio folk that want a desktop version - which is fair, but to be fair on Nord that isn’t what they do. The 2 feels more like a special case to me - Nord make stage instruments and I don’t think any of their other synths have desktop versions? Making devices for different segments adds additional complication that maybe they’ve decided they’re not interested in.

1 Like

I’m honestly not that into the pads. I would vastly prefer the smaller form factor and be able to connect the pads when/if I wanted to use them.
I think I saw someone chop the pads off. Might be a solution.

This is correct. The last one was the Nord Lead 4 rack and that was a decade ago, the same year as the Nord Drum 2 was released.

One can hope and dream and start new forum posts on the same topic but the reality is Clavia has already moved on to more profitable products. Meanwhile, the used market is still available for old Nord Lead and Nord Modular racks… and that brief blip in their product line, the Nord Drum 2.

2 Likes

Yep, makes sense.

Not that I’d want to dampen the spririts of anyone that hopes and dreams for such a device - I’m just not sure it’s likely.

But the main message from me would be to not hesitate on picking up a 3P, they’re great synths! I only offloaded mine because I got a good deal on a used AR MKI and I found myself with too many drum machines at a time when I was trying to scale back my setup. But it covers a lot of territory and there’s something to be said about whacking an instrument with a stick.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth I absolutely love my 3P

Been learning to drum on it while also getting a serious synth tweaking fix at the same time

What a combo

1 Like

[gazes fondly at my old and discontinued long ago audio tools]

Yeah. I’m a dreamer for sure. The spirit is strong but it did take me a while to figure out where to look.

1 Like

Had a nord drum 3p. I liked the sounds and the pads as well. But I still sold it because the interface to me was pure hell. Programming your own stuff was just not fun.

Yeah it could be better. But I’ve gotten pretty good at using left hand for tweaking and right hand for playing

1 Like

It’s a shame but I don’t think we will ever see another Nord Drum of any sort.
Regarding the parameter diffferences with 2 and 3 I’ll say that some parameters are more important for certain people and uses and that is the beauty of choice…

Still, no chance of a new box but I’d instapreorder if it was revealed!

Honestly, I’d love to see someone who wasn’t Behringer take up the mantle and build a spiritual successor to the ND2, if Clavia isn’t willing to.

1 Like