Which Gear do you think will be worth the most in 10 years time?

Discontinued is good in some ways. But who could predict past results like the SP1200. Any predictions from the nauts?

When i say worth the most i mean percentage gain wise.

2 Likes

OT for its crap sound :content:

Edit : sorry if it’s off topic

7 Likes

Limited Editions and discontinued devices tend to gain in values.
Let say, then, the miniKORG 700 FS as people will rediscover that fantastic Synth.

5 Likes

This really isn’t helping my Syntrx GAS.

10 Likes

Oops sorry :worried:

2 Likes

Roland boutiques will cost more than the originals do now.

3 Likes

Yeah, anyone that can afford one should definitely think about getting a Syntrx.

7 Likes

What do you like about it?

It’s on its way here. Though not because of potential resale value ;). But yeah that one will probably only increase in value.

4 Likes

The weirdness; the joystick; the 1960s Dr.Who/Radiophonics lo-fi “alien” sound; the similarity to 3/4s of The Chemical Bros wobbly noises; not costing £10k like a real EMS.

4 Likes

I had the first Radiophonic Workshop lp when it came out. Did they use it?

The thing about items that go up in market value, is that nobody knows what’s going to actually go up in value. That’s how they get valuable. If everyone knew something would be worth more, everyone would buy it, so everyone would have it and later no one would want it.

The other way something goes up in value is when it’s one of a kind, extremely limited run, or you simply can’t just go to a store and buy one. Like a contest prize or something. If your synth is mass available to buy, it’s unlikely it will go up in price at least for a few decades. Bar some crazy unforeseen market shenanigans.

3 Likes

Pro 2 will be the next Pro One.

Also limited edition/color Soma Lyras and Pulsars.

Anything built in a Moog Engineering Workshop.

And leftfield stuff like Retro Mechanical Labs, Grendel, Landscape FM, Metasonix and Trogotronic.

6 Likes

So its random.

1 Like

I don’t know. Probably. At least one of them (Delia Derbyshire) spent time with Peter Zinovieff of EMS.

1 Like

Thanks

More or less. But it follows similar patterns to furniture, ceramics, cars, stickers…

Interesting. Nobodies been able to crack the prediction in this yet.

It has a super distinctive sound and workflow. It also helps that it looks boss as well.

I hope so.

5 Likes

303, 808 and 909 are curious examples, especially the 303. It was hated for years and discontinued quickly. It took someone “abusing” it, and a cultural shift (raving) to make it sought-after. And even then, it took about 20 years more before they rose to “crazy” prices.

4 Likes