Which Gear do you think will be worth the most in 10 years time?

One of the coolest looking agreed

2 Likes

Toraiz SP16

2 Likes

Bingo! Don’t know if it will ever reach SP-1200/TR-909 levels but as soon as it’s officially discontinued I bet they will appreciate rapidly…

Jomox Alpha Base might be another.

2 Likes

The Syntakt.

15 Likes

Eventually nostalgia for the mid 2000s will send Korg Triton prices soaring. The kids will want the “authentic” Neptunes sound.

6 Likes

Since the somewhat recent, tragic passing of Wowa Cwejman the prices on Cwejman modules have gone up, but not always as crazy as I would’ve thought. If Maho Cwejman ever decides to start making the modules, that could temper the prices. I had a Cwejman SM-1 that I got for just under $1,800 new. Sold it for not much, if any more (didnt have it in me to price gouge). They’re now going for north of $3k now. I still have two Cwejman modules (VCO2RM and MMF1-S). Thought of selling them, but I’d never be able to justify buying em again as their price has roughly doubled from what I paid new.

3 Likes

I think the stuff thats most expensive now will remain most expensive in the future. 303s, Jupiter 8s, CS-80s, etc. Modern hardware is unlikely to ever become as rare or influential as hardware from the 70s and 80s.

2 Likes

Cwejman S1mk2: € 5800,-- from a recent offer

3 Likes

MFB dominion 1 will probably go up in value as well.

5 Likes

let’s talk 30 years from now … let’s say a Machinedrum

Yeah, I’ve seen S1MK2’s listed even way higher than that. Then again, what folks are trying to charge doesn’t meant people are paying that much, but I really wouldn’t know.

That would be a Premiere. Paying for something that won’t exist.

2 Likes

You can have mine for only $2,000!

2 Likes

Farming gear

8 Likes

hardware rack samplers. None are currently being made and nearly all the current samplers are drum machines or self contained sequencers.

Clones of all the analogue synths are going to overtake the vintage stuff, who the hell will want a 4k 909 which needs its transistors replacing when you can get a 98% sounding clone for £400.

edit: to all the people listing Elektron stuff and little obscure weird synths etc. - Look at what is expensive right now. It’s all genre defining gear - 303’s 101’s, 909, 808, Juno’s, CS80’s, large Oberheims etc etc. None of those little boxes are genre defining, no genres of music were invented due to those little synths , no famous soundtracks or albums were created with a sound signature of those boxes. We shall see in 10 years :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think there will be a day when the MnM will be quite expensive. Only time will tell tho…

3 Likes

I think gear will generally get expensive if it gets (reasonably) rare, and is famously used by someone famous, or on some well known/highly regarded song/album.

By that reasoning the amount of gear that will reach this kind of legendary status will decrease if it’s produced after 2000, because most hits after that were produced mainly in a daw using vsti’s :joy:.

Maybe the op-1 because of instagram fame?

1 Like

Discontinued Grayscale panels for Make Noise modules (only partially joking)…

4 Likes

Okay here’s my stab at it: Nord Lead. Used by NIN, Fatboy Slim, Jamiroquoi, The Killers, Crystal Method, etc. The sound of the late 90s and early 2000s pop music.

2 Likes

Karp 2600 FS and M
Erica Syntrx
Octatrack
Deckards Dream
Bugbrand stuff

And other esoteric and unique gear, I doubt anything that is a best seller now will be that sought after due to the numbers made, sought after gear happens because supply does not meet demand.

But don’t buy gear for what it might be worth, better ways to make money over 10 years than gear speculation.

4 Likes