Which Gear do you think will be worth the most in 10 years time?

…discontinued status is essential for all this assumptions…

and the next factors are built quality and the level of timelessness…
and well, uniqueness…that’s what makes the call of all cultstatus…
and raises the chance big time to be cloned by B one day… :wink:

pretty much all elektron gear will end up pretty stable in resale prices, with a good chance of even rising, once discontinued…

so, pretty much everybody who’s selling an ot these days, for actual reasonable 2nd hand pricetags, will think DAMN!, in ten years from now, since it will be with no doubt sooner than later to be not availble anymore in brandnew out of the box…
and it will take not much longer than 2 years til u gotto pay over 1000 bux again for it, if u still want one…and u can count on it, there will be quite a few who then will want one… :wink:

when it comes to actual elektron gear, the worst story will hit the a4…
this machine will go the mnm way once officially gone out of stock…a few years later, some next sophie will come around, and oops, suddenly everbody wants one, too…promise.

but i’m not into a mindset like this…i could’nt care less, what a used sonic tool might be worth in ten years from now…for me it’s all about, what can it do for me NOW…

1 Like

I’m gambling on OTO stuff…

3 Likes

The Vermona PERfourMER MKII.

End of.

3 Likes

…yep…my oto bisquit was the very first piece of gear, i sold for more than i spended on it once it was brandnew…

but that’s a big nobrainer…solid and unique quality plus limited batches right from the start on top of it all…well, of course u can count on THAT…
if stuff is limited right away to just a few only four digit thousand units existing around the globe, well, then no gambling’s needed to gain a profit…

It’s easy to picture the Erica Syntrx becoming very pricey over time, even with the B clone coming up.

1 Like

Yeah, I guess it’s not really gambling if I have no intention of ever selling them…

Steinways

Koma Field Kits
Octatrack
OP-1
Polyend Tracker

2 Likes

Due to a global shortage of industrial sproing mechanisms, jaw harps are going to reach record prices in 2022.

2 Likes

Historically clones are never worth as much as the original, the good thing about the Syntrx is it is not a synthi clone, but a modern take on it, if B were just to clone a synthi I doubt it would ever be very sought after unless there were very limited numbers of them, which is probably unlikely as they would need to sell a lot of them to recoup the cost.

But as far as B synths go I could see the Neutron, Cat, Wasp and Pro One possibly being sought after as there are less options outside of an original in some cases or diy in others.

But who knows, hardware synths could go out of vogue in the future, or they could be (even more of) a niche item, like say retro computers are today, still in use but not mainstream, and rarely cost more than their new price.

It is highly possible that desktop fabrication means demand for legacy gear is not what it is today, just make it at home using the design files, then when bored of it recycle into something else :laughing:

2 Likes

iPad 2

3 Likes

I think you’ve had the best guess here!

Mm I bet analog heats, if they ever stop manufacturing them…

Good points. Although synths going out of vogue wouldn’t necessarily make rare analog synths cheaper…? I dunno, just speculating here. :joy:

As we all know the true value of an instrument comes from investing the hours into it and enjoying the ride anyways. :slight_smile:

When Kitaro will die (will he), everybody will want a miniKORG 700 FS.

2 Likes

Warped OP-Z to get that double triggered sound. :rofl:

Pittsburgh Modular synths
OTO Pedals
Soma Lyra 8
Moog semimodulars
Soma Pulsar 23
Dave Smith Tempest, Evolver, Poly Evolver and Pro6

Nothing from the current Elektron product line

2 Likes

Jupiter 8

1 Like

If some up and comer uses something everyone considers crap currently and has success with it that will be the thing with the highest profit %. It seems like these days more or less everything just gets continuously more expensive. In the digital boom analog got cheap and then digital was no longer en vogue and became worthless. Then as time went on lots of digital stuff became expensive again. Now everything is expensive because people just search eBay for a price estimate. at the same time music gear is more powerful and cheaper than ever and everyone is saying it sucks. The one thing we can safely say is that whatever gains value will likely not be predictable nor based in logic or reason, pun intended

2 Likes

Waiting for the thread:

“Octatrack: Is buying this a mistake in 2031?”

10 Likes

Yeah looking forward to it

This thread will be with us for the years to come

1 Like