Will there be Octatrack MK3 anytime soon?

I hope there is, because I decided I won’t buy anything else than an OT successor.

1 Like

Me neither…as I have an OT MKI…:wink:
From Elektron I wouldn’t expect something better than OT as it is. And that depends on what do you expect from it.

For me the most interesting things are the control of up to 250 assignable parameters with the crossfader, and sequencers for 8 recorders, with the ability to play their buffer directly.

Unless they change their strategy again, going back to more complex machines…
2030 ?

3 Likes

I’m going to wait until either they come out with a mkIII or they discontinue the mkII. Then I will be forced to buy an octatrack. But I think hoping for a mkIII is very optimistic thinking. Can’t see elektron doing it any more… But there may be cool desktop samplers in the works from other companies. I would love a desktop version of the rossum assimil8tor!

I’m not optimistic. But the thing is, I don’t want anything else. Although many cool things have been released recently, I can live with I already have. In fact, I’m planning to sell some things to live with even less.

The current OT version is awesome, but has some minor faults that bothers me a little bit. So, the only thing that could change my mind about buying new gear is an improved OT.

1 Like

Sounds doubbly optimistic though.
!, an MKIII version, 2 that it would have what you think is missing.
It’s such a unique piece of gear.
I feel like I should get another MKI as backup.

What’s it missing for you?

I bet they wouldn’t change the workflow of the OT with a MK3. However, I could see them modernizing it with things like:

• More power under the hood
  • Overbridge
  • Onboard storage (no more cards)
  • Midi over USB
  • More sample manipulation (slicing by the transient)
  • Maybe a better timestretch algorithm
  • More streamlined probability; conditional; fills

Hell. I could even see them throwing a synth engine in there (wishful thinking)

But I doubt the basic functions and form factor of a MK3 would change. It’d just be more 2022 than whenever the Mk2 came out

4 Likes

It would be optimistic if I said I’m waiting it to happen. I’m not. If it never happens, I’m fine.

@djadonis206 has summed up what I think it needs.

I’d be floored if they made an MKIII as opposed to something new.
From they way I understand it, the creator of the OT left Elektron long ago.
I’d be interested to see what they would make that was OT inspired
However my fear is that they would ditch the crossfader.

Those things seem very minor to me, definitely not enough to write one off.
It’s by far the coolest thing Elektron has ever released in my eyes

1 Like

I would like better sound quality, but then that is a whole 'nother thread lol.

I give you… the mkiii:

17 Likes

All Elektron has to do is the equivalent of what TE did for the OP-1 and I’m in. Could even charge me $3000 I don’t care.

3 Likes

But the OT is already stereo…

8 Likes

Sound quality :rofl:

Most of my favorite albums are far from crystal clear ultra pristine “sound quality.”
Many of them made on gear that’s definitely not modern.
Lot’s of them are decades old and I will probably continue to enjoy that about them for ages.
Another strange thing is when I make my own tracks I tend to enjoy the early drafts or sketches of the attempts over the ones where I tried to really put the polish on it.

6 Likes

Without Cenk MK3’s seem a bit unlikely. He had a lot to do with the longevity of the first models.

1 Like

Or… Since he’s gone a MKIII is more likely?
It’s a double edge sword for some: ‘longevity’ vs MKIII + more up to date options.

imo OT is one of the best instruments ever created, especially for electronic music ofc, so an mk3/v2.0 would be such a great move and if they never make one it would be equally great missed opportunity

4 Likes

If they did a MkIII that just increased onboard RAM, I’d be there. A lot of complexity in the current OTs comes from managing this scarce resource that doesn’t seem like it needs to scarce anymore. They could throw out a lot of recording setup, maybe even erase the difference between flex and static machines all-together, remove the anxiety around choosing sampling rates, etc. All while making a more versatile sampler that can handle longer takes.

13 Likes

I just want more inputs and outputs. Every time I think of a proper 1/4" input performance mixer, really I just envision an Octatrack with 8 ins and 8 outs. These days with USB C performance, it could even be a breakout box, since it’s doing analog/digital conversion anyway… aaaaand if you’re dealing with a breakout, might as well be 16 ins and 16 outs (8 stereo)

6 Likes