Will there be Octatrack MK3 anytime soon?

No.

5 Likes

That makes sense.
Cenk brought innovation. A MKIII with the improvements people usually ask for would be just an iteration.

1 Like

LOL. Betteridge’s Law.

1 Like

I love the OT sound character, the way the FX and filters sound. For me it’s pretty much a perfect instrument as it is. Every time I try to approach it differently it rewards me greatly and most of the times I try to play it safe it slaps me in the face. That’s one of my favourite things about it.

3 Likes

I like coming in here to see the various ways people can say “no”.

10 Likes

Loophole: Don’t call it MK3. Call it Octatrack-Field instead. People will find the increase in price appropriate :robot:

2 Likes

Hopefully when/if they release a new Octatrack they will use a Micro SD card or an internal SSD drive.

1 Like

give it an onboard CD-ROM burner and i’m in

3 Likes

Or… Or… An internal spinning hard drive with an internal microphone that could record the sound of the hard drive.

Imagine the possibilities… You are recording the sound of the hard drive, onto the hard drive. It’s just doing that purr that we all know and love.

That would be the most unique self-oscillating sound source ever.

1 Like

Has the Octatrack MK3 lost focus as a sampler?

13 Likes

2 Likes

comin right up right after the Digitakt Mk2

Tomorrow.

2 Likes

10 Likes

what stops

:3lektron:

from releasing new OT

with

better hi end AD-DA converters

and better processor for :top: sounding new filters and effects, granular mode and some polyphony

and slightly easier UI

?

the platform is solid, well tested and nothing is impossible

finally pro version!
mkIII or…

why not?!

4 Likes

I get why they wouldn’t . At some point you have to stop rewriting the same song and just come up with a new one instead , but who knows maybe an OT mkiii is in the works

2 Likes

audio processing and sample playback on OT are made on a DSP platform, with a lot of assembler code, tricks and limitations. Developers of this technology left elektron years ago. this CPU and DSP platform as a dead brunch on a hardware side. As you may notice Digitone and Syntakt simply use bundle of two CPU, just because here is no more powerful processors with exact same architecture. So elektron

3 Likes

I see what you’re saying, but have you heard of the company called Roland?

has basically been their business strategy for, I don’t know, the last 30 years…`? :smiley:

1 Like

But can you imagine if they made a new one and it wasn’t as good?

3 Likes

I think it is a combination of factors. Like someone said above, the chip that elektron have been using since the octatrack is nearing end of life, and I get the idea that the octatrack code might be difficult to untangle since the people who originally wrote it are no longer there, so they might need to write all their DSP algorithms from the ground up for a new chip. Combine that with the complexity of the Octatrack making it more of a niche device. I think if they were going to make something in the spirit of the Octatrack I think would try to simplify the workflow significantly. Or I could see them doing something like focusing on a specific use case, like a performance mixer, and maybe simplifying the real time sampling, or vice versa.

I do love the Octa, but sometimes it feels a bit jack of all trades. Not quite good enough reverb for me to not want an external one, and then there aren’t enough inputs for mixing+effects.

2 Likes