Witch synth to replace my access virus?

hi folks; i just sold my virus desktop and have 1200€ to spend on a new machine to go with my analog rhythm and mono machine, any advice? i make dub, trip hop ambient sound.
please only hardware i hate my computer!!!

What did you not like about the Virus?

Are you planning to sequence this new synth with Monomachine or looking for something with a built in sequencer?

Too me, the sound palette of a RYTM and MnM has immense possibilities and there can only be one other accompaniment, an Octatrack. Commit the generated audio (in sync) and build upon it again. Remember the Octatrack Tempo Multiplier is the longest of all Elektron machines. If you already have one, as you were.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

The virus was not for me, i sometimes loved it and sometimes hate it, sound is great but the multitimbral part is hard to use, you just have an up and down button to scroll between parts, not easy to navigate to tweack it live, and the rooting sometimes goes alone every sounds to the master outputs, a pain to reroot all 16 parts to the different separate output, and also it s a quite too big to stay in my flight case.
In monotimbral it s great or as external effect unit but i have not enough money to keep it for doing just it with it!

Too me, the sound palette of a RYTM and MnM has immense possibilities and there can only be one other accompaniment, an Octatrack. Commit the generated audio (in sync) and build upon it again. Remember the Octatrack Tempo Multiplier is the longest of all Elektron machines. If you already have one, as you were. [/quote]
I thought about it or an a4 too, i m a litlle bit worry about the difficulty to learn it mentionned by some guys over the internet!
I can also think about a synth to sequence by the mono!

Too me, the sound palette of a RYTM and MnM has immense possibilities and there can only be one other accompaniment, an Octatrack. Commit the generated audio (in sync) and build upon it again. Remember the Octatrack Tempo Multiplier is the longest of all Elektron machines. If you already have one, as you were. [/quote]
I thought about it or an a4 too, i m a litlle bit worry about the difficulty to learn it mentionned by some guys over the internet![/quote]
@benwadub, the RYTM in regards to it’s sequencer capabilities are a step up from the MnM and if you’ve got a handle on those, the Octatrack isn’t that further. The sampling methods would be the only learning and like you, I too loathe creating music on computers (DAW), the Octatrack takes those other machines to a new level. IMNSHO.

Novation Circuit?

Great sequencer. Two 6-voice synths. And four drum parts.

Cheap, looks great, super easy to use. Internal FX, including some decent sidechain, and can sequence external gear.

Sounds fab, especially if you push it beyond the ordinary VA-synth territory (which you can).

I should also add the Electribe2.

16 parts multitimbral, a really funky sequencer (though a bit stiff in its features, it has a nice groove), sounds great once you learn the filter characters and insertFX, and has a sweet setup of samples and synth oscillators.

It has a few cutbacks, though, which I’d advise you to look into, if it peaks your interest. It’s not flawed in anyway, like some would have us believe, but it has made a few design choices which can influence your workflow dramatically, depending on what’s important to you.

I’d buy A4. Why?

1. IMHO, it has easiest and most intuitive workflow compared to other elektron machines. Integrated small keyboard allows you to quickly program sequences and make transposition on the fly.
  2. It has great sound! Rich and deep.
  3. It has modern sequencer (like AR) with parameter- and sound- locks (you can simply assign any patch from sound pool to any trig). Only A4 on stage? No problem!
  4. It has great sounding effects section which is great for dub/ambient-like music. Reverb’s decay can be turned to ~infinite.
  5. A4 is Elektron, thus you will not have any compatibility issues while connecting A4 to AR and MM via midi.

I would get an Octatrack + Blofeld.

Why: Because you can sample the hell out of your sounds, and you still would need some Virtuell Analog synth like the Virus.

I agree with UTURUNKU + it’s a dream-machine for Dub and Ambient. + if you know how to program the Virus the A4 shouldn’s scare you. and it’s ( ones you have the grip ) a very easy and direct synth to program. I think the OT is far more complex ( don’t have one, my opinion is based on reading around here ).
Try to find a shop where you can try the A4 - to see if it clicks soundwise ( fiddle the sounds - don’t just listen to the presets ).

What about fresh sounds from …

1. MODOR … http://www.modormusic.com/
    or
  2. PARVA https://futureson.us/blog/
    or
  3. Grendel-Grenadier http://rarewaves.net/products/grendel-grenadier/

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Yes, but some people hate to work with samples and sampling… And OT doesn’t sound without samples inside and sampling of external synths process is not so comfortable as on software. It’s not difficult, but just not comfortable for me. And you have to spend solid amount of time to become friends with OT as it is much more complicated machine in comparison with AR or A4. Sequencing of external gear is fun with it but buying OT for sequencing is not the cheapest idea (and MM has MIDI sequencer too).
I recommend to give honest answer to yourself: are you really ready to work with samples or not?

If yes – great! Even you decide that composing music on hardware isn’t for you ( :slight_smile: ) you can create your own samples in DAW and load them into OT and go for live with it. Or you can sequencing ext gear and do many other things.

If no – well, A4 is great choice! It is easy to use and it has nice sound. My friend bought A4 2 weeks ago mainly for dub-like music and he started to think about selling his MM after that.

MM (digital synth) + AR (hybrid) + A4 (analog synth) = nice combo IMO (both of 2 worlds and AR in between) :slight_smile:

Why not try with the AR and MM only for a short time and see what elements are missing from your music?

You might want to try the Novation Ultranova. If you liked the Virus sound, it can sound like one. The Vocoder is fun too.

+1 :+1: specially for the vocoder.

Does it have to be a synth?
Do you like sampling?
If you are afraid by the OT, the MPC1000 is a cheaper sampler solution that would be great for dub/trip-hop.

The quest for a more perfect union of gear never ends, does it?

I would think that a real good reverb and Echo with a mixer for the individual outputs would be all that is “needed” to add to your AR and MM for the styles you produce.

But if you really feel there is a gap, how about a Nord Lead 2x or later? If it was the multitimbral setup of the Virus you disliked, the Nords have that well under control with their elegant 4 slot design. The 2x has great percussion modes as well that would sound wonderful beneath a nice shimmery reverb for Dub music.

That leaves a little room in the budget for a Minitaur to take up the low end, though I think Rytm with single cycle moog samples would get you most of the way there for bass.

1 Like