XLN Audio XO

Had the XO for a while now, and if you haven’t seem or tried it I suggest you take a look at this marvelous software.

As a companion for sampler player hardware (I’ve got a Digitakt) this is a blessing for not only finding and a set of samples on your computer but also tweaking and processing. Export with relative normalization for the entire kit of samples and then import into your sampler.

I think I’m in love. My Digitakt has never sounded this good.

4 Likes

$180? Is it worth the price of admission? I might try out the demo, but damn.

This looks very cool, my sample folders are a total mess despite my best efforts, thanks for the heads up.

1 Like

Well that’s up to you.

Seen people (on other forums) say that they want more for this price, something with features from stuff like Geist2, Battery4, Maschine and what not. You know the usual feature list with the subjective “best” parts from other software. But if I’m honest, I don’t think XLN Audio are aiming at competing with Geist2, Kontakt and Maschine.

XO is different, in a good way, you need to use it a while to realize how it differs and what it brings to the table. It’s not as “always random” as it first appears, you can do controlled tweaking in finding and replacing and trying out different combinations. Same as with finding and choosing samples goes for the built in 2 page sequncer. Try out stuff, use the accentuator for velocity/volume curves, nudge and swing individual tracks. A bit like Digitakt you have the settings for each “sound” and then you can swap out one sample, or all samples keeping the parameter settings of transient, decay, pan and effect sends etc.

The quick start PDF covers the basics, a couple of days exploring the features will tell if you think it’s worth the money or not. (Trial version works for a week or something like that.)

1 Like

I’m not sure how much of what XO does when importing sample data is based on AI and how much is based on sample file name and folder names. Haven’t tried it with a folder with lots of samples named with just number… Like 0001.wav and so on… Could be an interesting experiment for sure. It does take sample length, main frequency and “drumminess” into account as well, since this is used in the live filter feature when browsing.

A majority of the samples I’ve added (about 50000) are from sample libraries and factory samples from other software where either the samples are named properly or the folder names contains information about type and category.

I’m about to dump a ton of badly-labelled trash into it, including long field recordings and that big zip of drum machine samples that floats around online. Will report back!

1 Like

Looks alot like this ATLAS
Just a quick cursory look not sure if they are similar or very different but $180 vs $100 big difference there.
edit: ok so XO has a sequencer …

Atlas is similar no doubt. Kind of like both XLN Audio and Algonaut tried the infinite drum machine and both started working on a commercial product.

https://experiments.withgoogle.com/ai/drum-machine/view/

1 Like

So I’m using the trial, it’s pretty sweet, loaded up and mapped out 24000 drum samples in a few seconds. Love how quick it is to switch them out and export, which makes it very easy to create sample chains out of sounds that would have been tucked away in folders. Easy to filter by folder, name, etc as well.

I do find myself wanting more hotkey support, as well as streamlining stuff like “load the last 8 samples into the kit”. There’s currently a lot of clicking tiny buttons which is a little frustrating. The manual is pretty sparse!

Also the 8 sound limitation - apparently Atlas lets you have 64 sounds loaded, but no sequencer? Could be worth a look as well. Ultimately it’s not too bad since it’s so quick to export the chains of 8, then those can be merged later if longer chains are needed.

And it seems to be pitching every sample up by 5st once it’s loaded into a slot for some reason?

Mainly I’m super excited because this is a very fast and fun way of browsing samples! Total workflow revolution. Thanks again for the tip.

1 Like

it’s 50% off right now - no indication of for how long.
Both direct from XO and at sweetwater.
still not sure if I want to pull the trigger even at $90. samplism light is ok, which is light years ahead of just browsing in finder…

There’s a 10 day free trial version of XO. Might be helpful to try it out.

I tried XO - it is cool but I didn’t think it was worth the money.

Just came across: Sononym - which is a similar idea except for sample management.

2 Likes

Can you give more detail on how you use this with your Digitakt? Right now I have pretty well organized folders in my DT’s sample library - one directory is a Machinedrum sample pack, another folder is a bunch of classic drum machines, another folder is sound effects and so on. Whenever I start a song I just pull random shots from each folder in to a new project based on mood.

However the idea of mixing ALL of those together and using XO to make kits is interesting. Just not sure how that would work exactly, especially since Digitakt doesn’t allow duplicates to be uploaded.

I enjoy the cloud type sample browser, particularly when you have time to just float around and listen to your lesser used samples in a non-linear way. I have XO and it’s a decent plugin but average. I assume if you are looking at a VST plugin then you already have a DAW or you could certainly get one for cheap or free.
I would suggest getting the Waves free plugin Cosmos which will give you the same cloud type browsing, you could then drag the samples into a drum rack in your daw to create kits, then adding the to the Digitak as the OP describes. This would be a free way to start that type of workflow immediately.

1 Like

Just for those considering their options, Atlas does now have a sequencer. It can do individual track lengths (for polymetric stuff) and you can save/load patterns and kits independently. They are different enough to warrant trying demos of both and they certainly have their own strengths and weaknesses.

1 Like

I use both, as they do have some different characteristics that are beneficial to have i.e. the sequencer’s do have some key different functionalities.

Atlas is better at file management as you can save different groups of kits if you wish to generate kits from more specific sample folders.

Also good for pattern generation is Playbeat 3 by audio modern - I export the midi patterns created and use XO and Atlas to generate the kits.

1 Like

I’ve got XO and Atlas, and really like both, but XO is a much better match to Digitakt use IMO, for several reasons.

As XO works as an 8-part drum machine/sequencer, it feels aligned to the DT straight away.
XO can organise ALL your samples once they’re on your computer (inc your Elektron library). Then creating new kits in XO is a cinch.
XO’s export/rendering options are really good. As well as being able to export raw samples, you can also export rendered samples (using XO’s numerous shaping/fx tools).
I really like XO’s sequencer too, particularly it’s quantise options.
Keep an eye on Plugin Boutique, they have good deals on XO semi-regularly that makes it a no brainer.

3 Likes

Atlas is brilliant for generating kits fast for 4x4 or 8x8 pad kits… especially like how you can drag and drop MPC formatted kits into the MPC. Similar for Drum Racks in Ableton too.
A big minus for me with Atlas right now is that you can’t search for samples by name (like you can in XO)… but I’ve been told this IS coming in the next Atlas update. Which is great!

1 Like

But you can with Waves Cosmos now :wink:

1 Like

You can with XO… which it looks to me Waves have directly ripped for Cosmos, well the Map UI aspect of it.
If you all you need is a sample organiser, Cosmos looks like it could do the job, but both XO and Atlas go far beyond this in their capabilities.
The biggest power of XO for me is its workflow and speed of getting full tracks of beats/drums exported with all the variations I want with minimum effort.

1 Like