XLN Audio XO

Yeah, but Cosmos is free. The sample cloud (or galaxy whatever you call it) is indeed carbon copied from XO (which was copied from Google I think).
XO is my favorite virtual drum machine, the patterns and samples are dope, but I don’t get enough control on variations and I end with pretty static rhythms. I’d be curious to hear how you build your variations. I hate using a mouse to vary my rhythms. I need something under my fingers. Have mapped a control surface ?

Playbeat 3 is great to generate variations. Just drag the midi between the two plugins and mess about as desired

I’ll try, but I’d prefer not buying something else. XO should integrate better variation engine. Rolling the dice isn’t enough for me, I need to be in control. That’s a shame because XO has a wonderful engine. I don’t really like the MIDI export option which IMO degrades the groove, but maybe am I wrong. In fact, the sample cloud is totally useless for me, and I’d prefer a better variation engine. XLN should have focused on the rhythm power of XO instead of making a pseudo sample manager. Their sample library is already so good it was not necessary to customize the kits.

A suggestion for the next version to the developer :slight_smile:

Jumping back into XO after a long break. Can anyone help: How do I change the names/types of the slots?

I’d prefer to have a Snare in the second slot instead of Kick 2, which I’d prefer to be in the fifth slot, and Hi-Hats in the second and third slots… So that it matches up with my preferred finger drumming layout on the bottom two rows of pads on my SP404.

You can’t change the names unfortunately AFAIK.

To change the type just open up the “cloud” (or whatever it’s called) and select a new sound color or type. Then the next and previous buttons will change between similar ones.

You can have a kick in the snare position or whatever you like, for example.

1 Like

Good to know - had got far enough to realise I could put any sound anywhere regardless but just wasn’t sure if I was missing something basic with the slot names. Cheers for the response.

1 Like

Just got this plugin. Completely mind blown.
It gets me to where I want to go very fast, and it’s a joy to use, the UI is absolutely beautiful!

1 Like

I’ve recently bought XO and love it, but I had thought it would also be a place to organize my loops, ambience, and other longer samples, whereas it seems XO is designed just for one shot samples. So - XO users, what other sample manager do you use to organise your loops and stuff? I’m hoping not to have to spent a bunch of money on another sample manager after investing in XO.

Waves Audio COSMOS

Included with Waves Audio Cr8Sampler (spelling?) which is a nice sample player/manipulator

edit - its called CR8 Creative Sampler - I believe there are a couple Utube videos about it.

Synonym.

1 Like

Yes, Sononym is next level, and pairs brilliantly with XO. You don’t need anything else.

2 Likes

Wow, Synonym looks slick af!

Sorry for time travelling a year back to ask questions but…
Can you describe literally how you’d drag Midi between XO and Playbeat (or others if you were referring to other plugins)? I know they directly drag/drop out into the DAW. But is it workable to have a base pattern come out of XO and then drag that into Playbeat for all the generative stuff that brings to the table?

2 Likes

Hi - I don’t think you can drag between plugins, but you can drag from each plugin, into your DAW as you mentioned. I haven’t got my DAW in from of me, but perhaps you could send midi messages out from one plugin and route them into another plugin, as long as you map the cc’s correctly. This is fairly easily done in Ableton and Logic, and probably most modern DAW’s. This would in effect override the internal sequencer of the plugin you wish to control of that makes sense…?

Yes it does - cheers. I’ll look into that!

1 Like

When arranging, I usually stick to one pattern and just mute/unmute tracks

Anyone know if there an easy way to pull this off with XO + Ableton without having to print the loops?

1 Like

Well, I can tell you, I emailed XO asking about having each track be able to be sent out to individual tracks in the DAW, and they said it wasn’t possible, and that they would put it in a feature request.

1 Like

Do you mean individual outputs for audio or midi? Because an individual output for audio is quite possible. There is a small menu for this on the Mixer page.

2 Likes

Sorry. I was asking about midi. I had it synced up to the Syntakt.

That’s cool about the audio though if you wanted to do some processing!

1 Like