XLN Audio XO

That actually solves the problem for @aortan though!

I understand, yes, that’s really not possible and that’s quite a pity, because it would be a nice bonus.

Thanks!

To provide some more context, I managed to sort the separate outputs, and from there printed each loop, it was really nice for arranging, the downside is that it was a PITA to change BPM, or notes… :sweat_smile:

Usually my head hurts when thinking about MIDI routing, but I’m wondering if there is a way to do something similar with MIDI going into XO (with each drum track as a separate MIDI-track/lane), and then from XO out to separate outs for further processing? :thinking:

Dunno about Ableton but in Bitwig I would think you could do it with multiple midi tracks getting midi from XO and then having a note filter on each listening to the correct note.

2 Likes

You can definitely trigger xo with an external sequencer. and forward audio from there. unfortunately, it is not possible to route midi from xo, apart from midi drag&drop.

2 Likes

Yeah, I was using some of the wonderful J3PO preset packs to trigger the Syntakt. It is drag and drop, like you say. And also, a bit cumbersome to get the Syntakt firing right by editing the piano roll.

It might be better to just use the sequence chart in the window to plug in the sequence by hand.

Okey, so in Ableton, it’s possible to export the MIDI loop, and then just manually duplicating that to separate MIDI tracks and deleting all notes except the the relevant track. Then I just have to route the XO audio to multiple outputs.

Not sure if there is a faster way but this definitely beats having the audio loops printed.

1 Like

For sure, I love the XO sequencer, it’s half the fun :smiley:

But when I have something I’m happy with, I’m just looking for the easiest way to arrange the drums while keeping some flexibility.

1 Like

I do this too :slight_smile: It’s a bit clumsy but works great, especially with “Note” Fold in the clip editor. In Cubase this is just one command, explode, done.
But my favorite trick is to trigger Xo with a more sophisticated sequencer and then combine that with drum synths.

E.g. DrumComputer (Sequencer) -> Heartbeat (Analog Drums) -> Xo (Samples).
Everything nicely separated by audio. always great fun :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool, Fold is a great idea, thanks! Hehe yup MPC has explode as well, would be nice, but Abletons multi-clip editing will def come in handy!

Wow, next level stuff, sounds like drum machine heaven. :cool:

Do you feel that Heartbeat does better VA sounds than Drumcomputer btw?

I’m demoing the Roland Cloud 808, their ACB sounds very, very good to my ears. A bit pricey to get a lifetime key though…

For me personally, Heartbeat definitely sounds better than DrumComputer.

Heartbeat simply has more “body” in the sound, which is mainly due to the overall package of emulated effects and drum synthesis.

But Heartbeat is also a bit more predictable in the sound, since it is an emulation of two well-known Roland drummers.

I don’t find the effects in DrumComputer that good in comparison, but they fit well with the synthesis in DrumComputer. Synthesis in DrumComputer is, shall we say, a bit different.

You simply get more options than just VA. And with the random option, you can create endless sounds. in seconds. Functionally, DrumComputer wins the comparison here.

I think the two complement each other quite well.

Although the good old Microtonic (Sonic Charge) is recommended here, it also goes wonderfully with Heartbeat.

It should also be mentioned here that Heartbeat has no sequencer.

I also tried Roland Cloud, 808 etc. but despite the great sound, I didn’t find the Cloud experience that refreshing. Subscriptions are not my thing. But I know enough people who don’t mind and they have a lot of fun with Roland Cloud.

2 Likes

Got it, interesting to hear your thoughts on it.

I briefly demoed DrumComputer but wasn’t sold on the randomized sounds, might give Heartbeat a chance then, but I do like to have some kind of sequencer integrated. Okey cool heard a lot of good things about Microtonic through the years, might have to check that out as well, thanks!

Yeah I’m not a fan of subs either but you can buy them, but the “legendary” plugins are 150$ each… :sweat:
I guess they still do some kind of online auth but doesn’t most devs do that now?
Haven’t tested the 808 extensively yet but I quite like the sequencer, pretty basic but you can do step length and shuffle per track. The only annoying thing so far is that the data labels can get stuck on my screen if I close the plugin “too fast”, I even asked Roland about it ;D

1 Like

Drum computer to me is a percussion layer you put over a solid beat made by something like Heartbeat. Combine both onto a bus, glue together and go.

Drum computer is like a super deep DFAM, which is what I used in the past to add percussion to my drums. Dfam is amazing but got limited in sounds for me while drum computer has seemingly endless ones.

4 Likes

I was looking for a good synth based drum machine recently and was really surprised how few are available.

Opal? Only works with Max for Live though.

I’m a BItwigger!

1 Like

I recently started to use XO to listen and select some samples to add in a folder to feed the OT with.
I could drag my samples to a new folder from the software window but today i realized it also created an XO Export folder on my hard drive containing the samples i exported. The fact is it seems it dragged them literally out of the folders of origins and no way to find their source folders.
If it is the case, it’s a bummer cause it causes a mess in my samples organization… which is the reason why i started to use in the first place.

Anybody can confirm the export function to act as a cut&paste ?