Xone DB4

I’m on the fence about buying one of these (I found one for the nice price of 899 for sale locally), but I have a questios for any users…

The midi shift mode:

• Are they absolute or relative controls?
  • Are they saveable to the usb sticks separate from the rest of the mixer settings? I.e., can I save them as presets and load them on the fly?
  • Do the faders have a “pickup” mode when they are moved in a midi setting, and flipped back to audio. I.e. does it value jump?

I rely heavily on iOS and generally most things do not give midi feedback to controllers, so it leads to a lot of value jumping.

that is not normal. mine is clean as a whistle. …a very clean whistle.

Reading a bazillion reviews, and everyone is saying something different.

Can someone clear this up for me…

The DB4, it’s it USB class compliant or not?

No, I am 99% sure it is not, as this put me off buying a DB2 because they hadn’t updated drivers for the new MacOS… I contacted them and they said they couldn’t guarantee the DB2 drivers would be kept up to date. So I guess at some point the same might become true of the DB4… so I wouldn’t buy it for the USB audio specifically

1 Like

Class compliant requires no drivers.
I’d be using this with iOS devices.

1 Like

Yeah exactly, the DB4 (and DB2) require drivers. Sorry, didn’t say that explictly. As far as I know it won’t work with iOS, but an owner will be able to confirm.

From my experience, I wouldn’t rely too heavily on the mixer from an audio interface perspective.

I regularly encountered audio drop out and poor latency when using it with my relatively powerful Apple machines. The drivers on their website don’t seem to be regularly updated.

But, from a standalone mixer perspective, it’s a great piece of gear.

1 Like

Sad to hear.
Looking to slim down a live right to a class compliant DJ mixer.
The effect section is what got me going here (and the less than 900$ price tag)

Any idea for a substitute? 96 is out cause rather have the effects on board and the price is just stupid.

I dunno why I can buy a 48 channel digital mixer with automated faders, etc for less than what a DJ mixer costs.
Pioneer is literally out of their mind charging 3k for a mixer.

Maybe I need to explore the world of tracktor controllers like the s8 instead and just map em…

I attempted to build my own audio mixer, but that project never got competed, nor to I think the cost of it would be less than a play1.

What if you would combine a desktop mixer, which has sub groups (i.e. digital mixer) with a DJ mixer? That gives a lot of input possibility, and mixing over different sub groups.

Alternative is also the A&H PX5, it has also digital FX units.

1 Like

Looking for an all in one solution for portablity for jam sessions and changing up my workflow.

Already have a motu828 (using both adat ports as well) and a old DJ mixer attached to it.
Don’t wanna carry around a 4ux10u road case all the time.

Also looked at the px5, but it’s the loopers I’m after.

Then there is only DB4 i think, but not sure about their synchronization via midi. You could use a MPC as send FX on the 96, and record the current loop , and xfade to it, then change your other gear config, and x-fade back. It allows also for FX chan on the looper, so you could filter it , reverb it, before fading back. I have not tried that yet, because i use the mpc differntly. But i think it would be a possibility without too much hassle. Maybe a DJ-S 1000 would be good for this type of setup.

Sold my mpc…worst mistake I’ve made because out of the 100s of sequencers I’ve tried, nothing floats my boat (go ahead and flame me…this includes a cirklon) so I’m buying another one and fixing it back up.

Again. Cost of the 96 is just stupid, although I the 2nd USB port would work, and I’m glad this is becoming more common.

I’ll probably just have to setup up some kinda looping template in AUM, but this again involves bringing an audio interface in addition.

I think, for real live use, a device with good overview, and not to complicated isnt a bad idea.

Haha. Not a mixer. Already have a launchpad doing that kinda work.
I need a mixer. With hands on eq and a cross fader.
It’s ok. I’m sure the db4 at this point won’t work so I’m gonnna have to figure out another solution.

Maybe just build that AUM looper and tear apart an old djm and install one of these and bypass the inputs on the back:

https://www.minidsp.com/products/usb-audio-interface/usbstreamer

Thai isn’t for straight DJing, it’s live PA with a small hardware set, but there’s a heavy dependency on iOS software, thus the need for class compliant “DJ” mixer

try for an older pio nexus 900 mixer - and add a small good quailty audio interface

1 Like

Worth noting that on A&H’s driver page for the DB4, it says “Xone:DB4 is not compatible with macOS Big Sur”, which makes it sound a bit like it will never be: XONE:DB4 | Allen & Heath

1 Like

Hi,

for everyone who hoped there might be a chance of using their DB4 as audio interface with big sur, monterey or future macOS versions, is now clear, it’s not going to happen:

macOS support […] did end when Apple launched big Sur. […] There is really nothing we can do about it from the software side drivers or firmware. It’s unfortunately not possible.

Al Product Specialst in the Live Xone Q&A Session, starting from 3:30:

That’s so sad. Considering that the DB4 after its release 10 years ago is still the only mixer out there combining the features input-matrix, usable efx, looper per channel and audio interface, is sad too.

For me having switched completely from windows to macOS some years ago it’s very painful to hear this. I’m still on Catalina enabling me to record the single channels outputs of the db4 from my live set (Machinedrum, 1010BlackBox, Pulsar23, External EFX Return). But with M1 Macbooks on the horizon which do not support Catalina there is no perspective to guarantee this great workflow, @DaveMech initially inspired me to develop. And I’m wondering why no DJ Mixer manufacturer is providing their new mixers with class compliant audio interfaces. There aren’t really any good alternatives: PX5 misses input matrix and channel looper, which then requires an additional octatrack again (it’s great but again 10 years old) and the Model 1 costs a fortune and lacks more features but got this hi-fi sound features. As if anyone could hear differentiate this in a club. Hopefully A&H is already working on a worthy successor.

I’d really like to have a new “gold” standard club mixer that has the potential to be equipped in every club. A Xone 92 style mixer for djs and live sets that can be cascaded with input matrix, looper, clock-syncing with midi/cv, class compliant USB. Mass market and not boutique style but not from Behringer.

Where are the innovators on the live performance oriented mixer market here? It’s crazy that 10years after OT and DB4 have been released, they are still top end. Good work!

Cheers

1 Like

“Xone DB4 still worth it… in 2022?”

I got one just yesterday.
Went for brand new with 5y warranty, the used offers I was tracking didn’t work out.
After an afternoon of messing around with it, I love how intuitive it is.
I can connect anything (Blackbox, Octatrack, Rytm, whatever) and jam endlessly. Goodbye, menu-diving and overcomplicated setups!
As I’m sticking with Mojave to the very end on my current laptop, the drivers work nicely for me.
I wish could have afforded this fine beast earlier!

2 Likes

I tried!
Ended up with too many controllers, too many cables, too many links in the chain.
In a nutshell, the BluB & BlaB combo (plus 2 controllers) is too unreliable for live use.

1 Like

Awesome :slight_smile:

Yeah it’s still the greatest mixer for live purposes imho. I’ve tested others. Currently testing model1 for a review. It’s also great. The analog summing, filters and send returns are wonderful. db4 can’t compete with that.

But the way you can route things on db4, the loopers, FX etc etc… It’s simply unbeatable.

Actually, the only thing that might come close is the rc505 Looping station :). But it doesn’t have so many direct controls.

3 Likes