Xone DB4

Your videos convinced me that it can do exactly what I need a performance mixer for.
It’s all your fault! :grin: thanks!

Using the Input Matrix/ChannelFX reassignments a lot right now (FX post fader for send FX on separate channels, looper on the Xfader, etc.). It makes my life so much easier. To imagine I played 150+ shows on a VLZ 802…?
Let’s hope the DB4 doesn’t give me issues before they have an MK2 out…

What I don’t like so much about the play differently models is the external PSU… and no loopers.
But I will definitely check out your review!

1 Like

:man_shrugging:t3::nerd_face:

Yeah it’s those routing possibilities the combination of features give you that is completely unique to the db4. I don’t understand why nobody else has gone and tried to make something similar by now.

2 Likes

It’s what I (and many others, I suppose) would have loved to see from @Elektron, a compact live performance mixer (4-6 stereo channels) with dedicated channel strips (no menu diving to access each channel) and an added elektron sequencer for automation of EQ/filters/FX…

5 Likes

I’ve been looking for ages for a performance-friendly compact mixer and although there are, of course, various DJ mixers they are physically quite bulky and not friendly for my limited space. Very few have looper functionality and many have (let’s be honest) pretty dodgy built-in FX.

I’m always baffled why they need to be so massive, although it may just be a “standard” size and that nobody else except me wants something the size of an OT or AR/A4 MK 1 so nobody is building them! I have zero knowledge of electronics, but the existence of small-yet-powerful devices like the Digitakt and 1010 blackbox etc make me think it must be possible.

But then what do I know?! (answer - not much).

The search continues…

1 Like

We’re in the same boat!
The DB4’s size is at the upper limit of tour-friendliness, but it’s actually still quite compact and light for a 4 channel DJ mixer. It fits into a large backpack, even with the soft bag – I like being not dependent on cars to go places, so a big, heavy flight case is out of the question.

I also think the MD/MnM/MK1 format is a sweet spot in gear dimensions, but it appears to be challenging to cram a mixer layout into that format.

I would love for a more compact version of the db4. But it will mean giving up hands on control or making things very fiddly. The way the db4 is laid out is actually pretty briljant. Things are already on the brink of being cramped as it is. If I could redesign the thing I would definitely make a few different choices and try to make it a bit smaller. I agree with Michal though. It’s only 5kg and really not that large.

3 Likes

Looking forward to your Model 1 review, especially in the light of your recent, very strong praise for the SSL Big Six…

1 Like

Yes, but when you open a Model 1, there is actually not so much space wasted…

Edit: I imagine the DB4 similarly crowded.

4 Likes

All outputs suddenly died after about 10h of careful studio use.
I have to send it back.
Really hoped we‘d be a team… :sob:

Huh?
That’s unfortunate! I’ve been using it for years now without an issue…
Sucks. You’re going to have it repaired, new one, or just look for a different solution?

My instinct tells me to stick to all-analog mixers when onstage, like I did before, and to realize my loopers externally.

Tonight’s gig will be me taking up 4 inputs of the venue DJ mixer with my Blackbox. The DJ before me will hate me.

I have to say I love the loopers of the DB4, and the input matrix, that’s what I will miss the most!

PS. Wow, I’m so glad the mixer was polite enough to give up on me in the studio, and not on stage…

1 Like

Yeah man, wow… very unfortunate but happy it didn’t happen on stage!
Rc505 might be a contender. I honestly have been thinking about it for a more compact version of my live setup

2 Likes

that mkII has me wanting to upgrade just for more inputs

Just a quick question for anyone who has a db4, can you save your effects configurations or does it basically wipe the memory once you turn it off and you have to start from scratch again when you turn it back on

The DB4 saves the last state when switched off, you just need to turn on the effects on the tracks when restarted.

1 Like

Cheers @Monothomm, have been looking into getting one, it’s a pity you can’t save your set ups

You can actually. It’s the only function the usb on the front panel has apart from updating the firmware :slight_smile:

But in general there’s really no need to as it keeps all settings when turning it off and on again.

2 Likes

such a #dope mixer. it is among my most cherished instruments

1 Like

Absolutely.
Exchanged mine for a MODEL1 as I was having awful issues using it as a sound card.
Sold MODEL1.
Now regret my DB4 :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Curious what you think of the new pioneer djm a9!

It looks insane. You turned me on to the db4 and it’s sublime, so I’m wondering if you have any thoughts on the new pioneer one and how you’d guess it compares. Is it something you could see yourself using?