YAY! C6 - going to be killed!

http://www.elektronauts.com/t/ob-ar-did-i-miss-something/13422/112524

oh man … that is the second best news (for me) after discovery of fermions / higgs boson …

dont we TrabanT all hate c6 !!!

good job elektron,… thanks for confirming !!!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

Whats so bad about C6? The only thing that annoys me is that I have to select all samples with shift-click before transfering.
Cmd-A doesn’t work.
Otherwise, it gets the job done.

It’s not bad but a bit like my belly lately: it hangs more than I’d like.

works fine for me and they’re not getting rid of it !!
the post alludes to creating something better for a given role

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO nononono nononono ononononnn nnnnoooo

Bogus topic title, but at least you linked to the actual post so people can read it themselves…

Huh? Read it again. They have not said they are killing it. Only getting rid of it for sample transfers. Not the same thing at all.
And please don’t attempt to speak for us all. As evidently we don’t all hate it. It’s certainly been fine for me.

I’ve never had a problem with C6. It is nice for data transfer for updates but I would never want to use it for samples. They should have used an sd card like the OT.

TBH I’d rather they drop Overbridge and release a dedicated USB sample tranfer utility for Rytm instead, but that won’t happen.

My reason for such a controversial statement? Because I think that Overbridge is going to take up a lot of resources at Elektron that would be better utilised on the actual operating systems of the actual hardware machines, for example the Elektron phrase “next generation sequencing” is looking a bit passe these days, no probability, cryptic page handling of different step lengths, limited playback options, etc.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the machines still, but there are plenty of things IMHO which should come before audio streaming over USB and a fancy graphical editor, especially considering that there are new companies coming up with hardware sequencers that make Elektron’s look very dated, in fact my old RS7000 can do a lot of things that “next generation” sequencers should be able to do.

If I was remotely interested in DAW/Hardware hybrid instruments I’d have bought Maschine or Push.

Ooh that was a bit ranty…

1 Like

This is because they are at the same time introducing kitchenware with the name C6… :wink:

:+1:

Let’s hope that Overbridge --> greater sales --> more hiring of developers --> exciting new OS enhancements.

Also, personally, never had big issues with C6, and I transfer large sample chains into Rytm.
But that also means I do less transfers, as I have thousands of sample hits in my project.

Now, Waldorf’s “Sceptre” sample transfer app, that thing is a pain! It makes C6 feel like vacation!
Sure you can map things out on keys with it, but I had to turn my Mac’s resolution as low as it would go, and learn a couple unique key commands just to be able to get 128 samples “ready” to be transferred to Blofeld.
So, just remember, it could be worse.

Let’s hope that Overbridge --> greater sales --> more hiring of developers --> exciting new OS enhancements.

[/quote]
Like your optimism

But

I cant for 1 minute think they are generating significant sales increases based on the current release of
a widely publicized overdue buggy overbridge s/w package.

Its quite possible its been detrimental.

To end on a positive note, maybe just maybe the pay off is down the track?

[/quote]
Like your optimism

But

I cant for 1 minute think they are generating significant sales increases based on the current release of
a widely publicized overdue buggy overbridge s/w package.

Its quite possible its been detrimental.

To end on a positive note, maybe just maybe the pay off is down the track?

[/quote]
That’s basically what I was implying. That one thing leads to the other.

^^^^^^
In total agreement ! Not a bit ranty at all.
It worries me where Elektron are heading
‘next generation sequencer’ …
‘Making music should be fun - thats why we make hardware’ (AND NOW SOFTWARE)

They make hardware- the software is just a FREE accessory- use it or don’t… but being able to modulate just about anything from within a DAW opens up a world of possibilities.

I for one only bought an A4 and a RYTM because of the software- I love the sound- HATE the tiny LCD and menu diving, I would not have bought the units if they hadn’t announced Overbridge (I bought in Black Friday sale) so they have sold at least 2 units based on the software :wink:

You do realize that the analog series was a huge hit, especially the AR?
They are selling a crazy lot of those units, compared to the older ones. Just check the Thomann sale rankings.
My fear is that the quick grow will get them under pressure to quickly release more boxes instead of improving the existing ones, as in the past.

Well horses for courses I suppose, but it does strike me as odd that a software front end would be a purchasing decision, given that there are already lots of options that are arguably much more powerful and flexible in this regard (also cheaper), especially given that softsynths these days are getting very good at analog emulation, and it could be said that streaming the analog signal to digital via USB is going to further blur the lines of any differences that running analog gear would bring anyway.

I would also assume that any DAW user would already have a halfway decent multi in/out audio interface, and midi automation of synth parameters is nothing new, the fact that it is done over USB with the same cable sending the audio is impressive technically, but does not mean much really, other than reduced cable clutter.

Also go on any electronic music forum and the general vibe is that DAW based set-ups are becoming less popular, and the MI market has reacted, with lots of companies bringing out dedicated hardware sequencers, the modular explosion, and interesting controllers that finally no longer need to be tethered to a machine designed for office tasks. The reason is that lots of people would rather have fun with a few fuck-ups here and there, than sterile perfect neatly arranged, polished and same old same old productions.

One of my main reasons for no longer using a DAW, aside from finding it boring, is the almost constant configuration and updating required, driver conflicts, and other housekeeping that prevent me from actually making music, I have no interest in being a computer technician - even though I am quite capable.

A quick look at the Overbridge threads show that many people are having trouble - as expected, this being a beta, but it would be very naive to assume that people will stop having problems even when the release is mature, it is a can of worms IMHO, companies like Ableton who are a dedicated software company have the infrastructure to deal with these kinds of support issues, lets hope that Elektron do, otherwise I fear that the OS updates for the machines will become less frequent as a result.

Anyway, I respect the decision for Overbridge and for people who see value in it, but I do not see any value in it personally, and in fact I see it as a odd step for a company who used to have the tagline ‘Making music should be fun - thats why we make hardware’

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

maybe overbridge will talk to some swedish hardware in the future !
i don’t see any conflict in their choice, it compliments/extends the hardware to offer it extra tricks and it makes setting it up a very different experience
mind you i’m with daren on the setting up killjoy aspects of computers, but beside the fact that OB has taken them waaaaaay longer than they imagined, it’s hard to get too fussed about it (except that support will be insanely busy dealing with stupid questions about setting up this’n’that for ever)
anyway, any swedes able to confirm that the much lamented ‘C6’ is pronounced like ‘sysex’ in swedish !?

In my experience, C6 is slow and has a setup that we don’t always understand… but it has done the job successfully on lots of different system and machines for years!

I have tried 2 different OT and both had trouble to transfer samples by USB with my mac.

So…let’s keep this old buddy.