Your top ten video games of all time

control was such a great surprise for me, when it was available on ps+ right after i got ps5. lovely game.

2 Likes

Tetris (Gameboy)
Super Mario Kart (SNES)
Starcraft 1 +2 (PC)
Stardew Valley (PC)
Colonization (PC)
Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
Fever Pitch Soccer (SNES)
Day of the Tentacle (PC)
Earthbound (SNES)

I never really got into any 3d game, except maybe doom 1+2 and super mario galaxyā€¦

3 Likes

Unordered:

Portal 1
Portal 2 (including all the fun user maps)
Zelda: A Link to the Past
Zelda: BOTW
Street Fighter II (SNES)
Hollow Knight
Tetris (Gameboy)
F-Zero (nostalgia factor with Dad)
Super Mario World
Soul Reaver

3 Likes

That final fightā€¦ no exaggeration that I think I was close to triple figures in attempts to win that one. Took me the best part of a week playing an hour or two every evening. My other half was driven mental by the music (and me shouting). But the feeling when you do it? Only Dark Souls matches it and that was another final boss I really struggled with.

I donā€™t stick through many games these days. Iā€™ll often put things on easy just to experience the story. But Sekiro sucked me in big time like few others manage.

Very much looking forward to Elden Ring.

2 Likes
  1. Fallout 2
  2. Mass Effect 2
  3. Baldurā€™s Gate
  4. Quake 2
  5. The Dig
  6. Life is Strange
  7. Super Mario GB
  8. Fallout
  9. Divinity: Original Sin 2
  10. Portal 2
2 Likes

Been thinking of your comment regarding the iconic soundtracks of Martin (Marty) Oā€™Donnell. I went back and listened to the Halo 2 soundtrack this evening. The tracks Ghosts of Reach, In Amber Clad, Orbit of Glass, Heavy Price Paid and Remembrance hit me hard. Havenā€™t heard them in a very long time, and not since a very personal loss of the person I used to play the Halo games with. I queued up with him at midnight on the launch of Halo 2 and played it all night, and for years to come would revisit the action, taking the fight to the Covenant and Flood forces. Itā€™s incredible how music can be such a driver for emotion and memory. Especially videogame music, as it becomes part of the background to our lives. Halo 2 has a pretty mournful soundtrack outside of the bombast of Earth City and the unusual addition of Incubus. Was never happy with the way the game ended but man, dual-wielding Needlers was crazy amounts of fun.

2 Likes

Zelda Breath of the Wild
Donkey Kong Country
Crash Bandicoot 2
Zelda linkā€™s Awakening
Zelda Wind Waker
Super Mario World
Celeste
SSX 3
Zelda Majoraā€™s Mask
Championship Manager 01-02

3 Likes

Celeste seemed fucking hard

I only completed a couple of the b-sides (bonus levels), the main game was tough enough! There are pretty good accessibility options though

Mass Effect (series)
Fallout (series)
Last of Us 1/2
GTA V
Mechwarrior 3
Chrome Hounds
Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat 2
Karate Champ
Ms Pac-man

2 Likes

YES! And that soundtrack is amazing, Iā€™m keeping a close eye on everything Clark Aboud releases (his Kind Words soundtrack is a great one too).

1 Like

canā€™t believe iā€™m not seeing Forza Horizon on any lists. No driving game enthusiasts?

3 Likes
  1. Quake 3 Arena
  2. Halo 2
  3. Warcraft 2
  4. Return Fire (Best gameplay / music integration ever)
  5. Super Mario Brothers 3
  6. Battlefield 3
  7. NBA Jam
  8. Mortal Kombat 1/2
  9. Marathon 2
  10. TIE Fighter
2 Likes

I played Gran tourismo on the PS1 excessivley but never get into Forza. Will try out Horizon 5 but GT7 is coming as wellā€¦

1 Like

With two consecutive episodes in left-hand driveā€¦
Less and less addictive opuses, absolutely ridiculous dialogues, car collection and crazy modeling is no longer enough.
I remember the maps of test drive I and especially the II I tell myself that those of Turn 10 are very much too small.
Driving is more and more permissive, itā€™s not very stimulating, especially if you had the opportunity to touch Rfactor or Assetto, so Iā€™m playing 5 but it may well be the last.
In short, putting them in a top 10 seems very complicated to me.

Iā€™m into Dirt and GT. But racing games arenā€™t really ground breaking for me. They just look super good. They ARE good fun tho.

Dirt is fantastic, Dirt 2 too.

Yep! I wish GT would get proper damage treatment.

Iā€™ve never gotten to play those games with a steering rig. And with the ones the have todayā€¦itā€™s GOTTA be super fun.

I love driving games but despite having a bunch of them there hasnā€™t been one that has made me lose myself in a while.

Dirt at the wheel is very very sporty, I only do rotten lap timesā€¦
These are the kind of games where I feel old.
But Assetto Corsa and Assetto Competizione I say yes.
Beam NG and Rfactor 2 are great at the wheel too.
Finally the biggest problem with steering wheels apart from the price and finding games that are good with, is the space it takes up when youā€™re not using it, especially with a stand.