Ableton Note

Damn, too bad iPhone is absolute garbage in every other aspect.

Got round to picking this up. Actually seems like something that could be pretty handy in a fun, idea generating on the go kind of way.

It also reminds me very much of Endlesss. Almost to a “they could get into trouble here” extent. Note feels more usable for me in my use case though.

Hopefully it continues to be developed. I’m struggling to be productive with a couple of devices right now to the extent that something like this makes it easy just to say “fuck it”, sell up and move on.

Can this app be used to send midi to an external hardware synth? Ie just using it as a quick and simple sequencer? Or does it only use internal sounds?

No MIDI. You can use own samples, but the synth presets are fixed.

The app is more like a smart looper. You have no step sequencing and no genuine piano roll editor. You can record in realtime only.

1 Like

This does seem very powerful in concept even if quite simple in principle.

Bridging the gap between hardware and software, making the DAW more imediate and accessible, is often approched very single-mindedly with controllers for directly interfacing with the existing software.

But using tools like this can give you that more tactile immediate, experimental workflow whilst still operating within your chosen ecosystem.

It’s a bit of a toe-in-the-water - but something like a dedicated Push device that wasn’t intended as a ‘Live standalone’, but more as a portable extension to allow you the freedom to experiment adjacent to Live, sounds compelling.

3 Likes

Ah thanks for clarifying. I like the idea of using samples recorded over the internal mic for background textures. For midi sequencing, I just found out about Fugue Machine :raised_hands:

1 Like

Fugue Machine is amazing, that alone would be worth the iOS entry fee imo.

I love getting the midi parts out of it and into somewhere with probability and polymeter capability, it’s a generative wet dream then.

3 Likes

Why have I never thought of this before?

1 Like

People seem to read “Ableton” and “mobile app” expecting a full fledged daw for your pocket for 7$ :smiley:
I think it’s a neat little tool for quickly sketching something on the go but not much more.
It’d be great if it had midi sequencing for external apps and the possibility to resample their output to capture loops for further use in Ableton.

nevertheless I hope they expand on that idea and maybe implement their wavetable synth or or their “simpler”-sampler

1 Like

I read “Ableton” and see “Note LBA” backwards

Makes you think, eh?

3 Likes

Note’s content has a twin inside Live’s User Library. It’s called…

Screenshot 2022-10-20 at 14.10.58

1 Like

Hello, someone knows if it is possible to reverse a sample within the app? If not I will just use Koala sample for that matter. Thanks a lot

Very nice work.

1 Like

Just a heads up for all you Windows users who’d rather use your own file management than Abletons cloud service, you can share you’re Ableton note sets to your files app and into Google drive or whatever cloud service you use on your desktop and the sets open up just fine in Ableton, much better than having and arbitrary 5 set limit imho, I get why the limit is there as it’s a free service and hosting costs money in perpetuity for Ableton and letting people have unlimited space is just not on the cards… also sharing to an external cloud is a great way to share your projects with the wider community if that’s your bag and they’ll open for anyone who has the latest version of live…

3 Likes

Yep, it’s a nightmare (source: shipped an app with fairly simple real-time audio requirements a couple of years ago), I can’t blame any company not wanting to get involved with Android audio… although I believe the situation has improved somewhat with Google introducing the Oboe API, and some apps have made it work e.g. Koala

I actually just figured something out that I think is pretty cool, if you share a set directly into a folder on Google drive and you have drive installed as an app on your Windows machine you can add a shortcut to Google drive into your places in Ableton and load your sets directly from there… winner unlimited storage…

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s possible to reverse samples as of now. It would probably be under the sample settings which comes up when you tap the little waveform icon where the filter type is.

I do think the entirety of ableton cloud is mainly as a form of delivery rather than of storage. It’s nice to open up the set and then save it to my computer and delete it off the cloud.

1 Like

Really like this app

https://youtube.com/shorts/OqVx-hUm8z4?feature=share

I don’t suppose anyone has seen any indication of whether Ableton will implement midi input? Note is pretty close to being ideal for me - can picture lots of potential using it with my OP1F as a controller/sampler/tape recorder combo. Just can’t face using the screen alone for input!

Lots of potential with the app though.

Sadly no android version but I’m realy enjoying Flip sampler.