Akai Rumours

It’s a real game. It’s one post from a series of tweets by a professor at Fordham law NYC who unearthed his childhood Apple IIe computer along with some games and other nostalgia. This is a link to the tweet which is a video that also showcases the music for this particular game.
https://twitter.com/JohnFPfaff/status/1096995978018738176?s=20

2 Likes

what’s in the MPC 2.11.9 update?

EDT: looks like some bug fixes and improvements…

apparently one of them is … Sample Edit

• Performance has been improved when using the touchscreen to zoom into waveforms in Track Edit and Sample Edit

Sure I’m just joking (and secretly wishing) :wink:

It’s to force you into spending the extra 200 to get the SE. you’re almost there anyways. I think the keys at 1499 is a good deal for people who want a modernized ASR10.

2 Likes

Man…I remember when the MPC Live was revealed back in 2017 and it was the coolest thing.

6 years later and the new Akai products are the same thing but with a keyboard or speaker or new paint job. No new features or functionality.

Really hard to get hyped for new Akai announcements

3 Likes

At least the hardware is at a solid plateau, adding ram is cool so I wouldn’t call that a retrograde, however the whole sour business with plug ins and wifi is a bit of a step in the wrong direction if I were pressed about it.

1 Like

there have been quite a few feature updates between 2017 and 2023

3 Likes

I meant in terms of hardware

IMO Akai now needs to focus on OS 3.0 to bring the MPC to the next level as a whole. It feels like their business model has shifted to adapting AIR VSTs to the MPC platform and use them for ranking up sales for the MPC platform. And of course the MPC OS itself gets new features (USB Audio, ratchet, menu customizing e.g.), but they are still a lot of aspects where the basic functions of a classic MPC falls short: having a modern arranger, having a modern mixer (look at Drumsynth), having a rock solid MIDI environment.
The next step for Akai can’t be another MPC deviation from their existing line, the the feedback on social media for the MPC X SE-announcement were really bad…

1 Like

Doesn’t seem that special… EVERYONE with a YouTube channel has one.

7 Likes

If only there were some online communities of dedicated users who constantly discuss their use of the equipment and give daily feedback about their experiences, then the bean counters at Akai could read this free resource to get the pulse of what this community wants.

1 Like

Does anyone else get annoyed by the predictability of this as a marketing strategy?? Or is it me??
That momentary delight and self-importance of YouTubers who don’t realise they’re work-at-home music store salesmen… at least Andy Mac knows it’s a job, and is paid, and Jack from Andertons… and I don’t mind Loopop’s info/no-ego approach.

(The rest makes me think of Bill Hicks’ ‘sucking Satan’ sketch…)

7 Likes

I think they know this perfectly well and are fine with it, even like it. How could they not know this?
It’s our fault for watching and being annoyed, not theirs for making the content.
There are a trillion cute cat videos on uTube but I don’t watch them. Not anymore, anyway.

2 Likes

You’re probably right, it’s just sales 101… (I’m 3 days into a bad cold and feeling more irritable and spiky than normal.)

4 Likes

I’ve seen the video titles “IS THIS THE BEST MPC?!”

I see it and think, “technically yes, but come on…”

3 Likes

What app is that?

Beatmaker 3

3 Likes

The long abandoned, glitchy app whose lead engineer left years ago? Even third party wannabe MPC apps leave much to be desired…

still currently being worked on.

that’s the app you designed right