Akai Rumours

Backorder =/= discontinued.

Last year the TR8S was in backorder for months, it’s still not discontinued.

1 Like

Akai = red in Japanese. It should be subtle

InMusic Engineers = hold my beer

2 Likes

The future of music? Nah, this looks like a clunky effort of combining several techs into a new music product: who wants to touch a dirty table without any velocity and polyphonic aftertouch? It’s also heavier than an iPad. This light field might work well in collaborative or interactive spaces (e.g. meeting rooms, schools, etc.).

2 Likes

do you still have your M:S?

heck yeah, I like the ms so much I had to get another one to go with it, so on the elektron side of the family I have 2 model samples, a model cycles and a digitakt… holding off on the octatrack in hopes of a dt2 or ot3 that wants to be a dt2

4 Likes

You got more hopes than a Telethon. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

I know huh, when it comes to beatmachines I’m forever optimistic

2 Likes

If we’re talking polyphonic Elektron samplers, I’m tilting at windmills. :person_fencing:

1 Like

images

4 Likes

How do you catch your name in threads ? Do you just type it in search ? I need to know your hacking skills

1 Like

I usually notice the Beersignal in the sky. Occasionally the Beerpager goes off.

4 Likes

Abandoned or perfected? Anyway, I disagree about the ‘glitchy’ and ‘wannabe’ comments. It’s solid so long as you don’t hammer it with AUV3 instruments. And the sampler is seriously powerful and intuitive to use. Admittedly I’ve moved over to Drambo but BM3 is deep and IMO still worth checking out if you already have an iPad.

Interesting Video about the Force:

Someone “unlocked” the Song select view in the Force like in the MPC, allowing the same project to have multiple arrangements. Why is AKAI locking these functions down artificially like that?

1 Like

That’s unexpected, though I suppose it means the functionality is left in the OS but locked out by the device type. I expect ths is because the sequencer mode doesn’t really fit the Force paradigm, which is that every track is only ever playing one pattern at a time. If you had the sequencer UI in the window and the Launch view on the pads, you’d have a clash of methods - probably fixable, but potentially quite confusing. I can see why it’s hidden here, but I’d be intersted to see how it fits with aspects of the Force workflow.

I expect people will now be hooking up all kinds of MIDI gear to see if they can unlock Arranger mode on the MPC in the same way, without tricking it into running the Force firmware. But that would presumably face the same problem - the MPC and Force treat tracks in quite different ways. I think the rumoured coming together of the two systems would be difficult to get right, and I suspect it’d involve merging much of what the Force does with the Clip Program element of the MPC. The Arranger would maybe be able to ‘unfold’ a sequence into component tracks… it’s an interesting one to think about.

I think that the arrangement in Force is a sequence in MPC, from the looks of that.

1 Like

I usually find that most Akai stuff and specially MPC stuff is not for me. Always curious to see what’s going on though.
This seems quite underwhelming but I’m sure it’s great for someone else😊
Something like an mpc keys mini could interest me

1 Like

That would make sense, I suppose, though it could lead to some monstrously complex sequences. I haven’t tried importing MPC projects into the Force, but a quick check shows that they deal with multiple MPC tracks referencing the same kit by adding MIDI clips to the Force grid, which would certainly work - I’ve used the same method to get polymetric sequences going - but could result in a ton of tracks to deal with. Potential issues in both directions there - again, I can see why they’ve kept it out of the way on the Force.

3 Likes

Nice one @captain8

Pic of the new MPC One screen-grabbed from the video above to save you some time:

2 Likes

While it’s certainly possible there will be a drop on an already named piece of gear in development before the date that the certification expires, it’s not a guarantee by any means. That guy is a bit of a conspiracy theorist and trying to get people riled up, if he did all that research on the FCC website he probably also found this fee table for getting a wireless receiver or other items approved by FCC for public release. Akai is already a big company so while for me it would be ridiculous to pay one of these fees and pay it again later, for them the burden of losing $500 or even $1000 if a product isn’t ready to make money by the date the certification allowing for release expires. That would be way cheaper than a bunch of product returns or service on defective units from a premature product release.

So if he already knew all this, he’s mixing fact with wishful thinking. If he’s seen the fees table on the fcc website where he was digging around for those documents, he has to reasonably assume Akai might absorb the cost of paying the fee again for the reasons described above.

5 Likes