Akai Rumours

How many more hours now until the big reveal/letdown?

3 Likes

how about the akai tracker: software that keeps tabs on your spending habits and then emails you about limited time offers on plug ins… no wait.

2 Likes

If it sends 44.1k/24bit mails im in!

Ps that’s ma fav format for emails btw

1 Like

I like my mail more like 12 bits along the lines of S950, just charge me extra per bit.

You can tell it is the new one mk2 because the schematics are available and it looks identical. In the picture on Instagram that this came from you can see the knob on the same place it is on the one… this is the one mk2. It has a internal battery and wifi. Nobody knows if it will be 4gb ram yet but probably. Then they will release the xl then the live mini. That one it very stripped back.

2 Likes

Every time I see the name Akai, I’m reminded that they’re owned by Numark, which still blows my mind.
No hate though, loved that little DXM06 mixer. One of the best low cost, two channel mixers, that had all the bells and whistles. Kill switches should be standard on dj mixers.

1 Like

So much negativity towards Akai… weird given what they’ve given to the world of music and music production.

8 Likes

I’m sure if the post were called “who thinks the MPC60 was a fine product?” the reaction would be of a markedly different nature.

2 Likes

More properly said they’re owned by Jack O’Donnell, and inMusic.

inMusic

inMusic is the parent company for a family of premier brands that include AIR Music Technology, Akai Professional, Alesis, Alto Professional, Denon DJ, Denon Pro, Marantz Professional, HeadRush, ION Audio, Marq Lighting, M-Audio, MixMeister, Numark, Rane, and Sonivox.

3 Likes

The world moves quickly
Anyone remember Nokia , Netscape , MySpace , Atari etc … If they are in business it’s just a shadow of former glories
Just to add … recent akai boxes seem to be heading in the right direction … ( not sure about being online etc though )

1 Like

Had the MPC60 once. I’d never trade my Live 2 for that ever.

This retro fetishism is just plain weird.

5 Likes

Not that I have anything against the Live 2 but it’s a daw on wheels. I’m not retro fetishizing the mpc60, I’m saying it was a revolutionary product.

1 Like

lol, this what they play at akai headquarters all day long

however, I do appreciate the amount of updates, and frequency of them in both hardware and software, I think without them there wouldn’t be nearly as many updates from other developers so in this way they push further development in the industry imo and the workflow is such a contrasting but excellent companion workflow for the digitakt, they are basically one machine for my use case.

7 Likes

I don’t think it’s necessarly that people forgot the impact they’ve had. They are very much a beloved company, and their samplers, including racked, still are very much sought after. I think it’s more that Akai is sort of a wild card. I mean, the company that put out the Live 2, also put this out 10 years ago.
Hopefully someone cracks the firmware of the MPX8, and makes something dope, because it’s cheap, and portable.

5 Likes

Exactly, whereas Akai are still making two of the only real standalone self-contained music production devices on the market (I’d say Maschine + is the other contender). They’re a long way from Atari.

:joy:… and what?? That’s a bad thing??
By that same logic, a DAW is basically an MPC stuck inside a laptop.

1 Like

There is no merit in arguing for the sake of argument.

5 Likes

Or AKAI could have made something dope directly, instead of that buggy ass mess that is the MPX series; Why would anybody work in AKAI stead for free?

1 Like

Sure it was revolutionary at the time and was instrumental in a lot of important tracks in its time period, but why would anyone choose a clumsy old box over one that has all mod cons? Yeah, maybe for the money that a 60 fetches nowadays, but that inflated value is due to the same fetishism

I’m fairly confident it will be something shit

11 Likes

I can only agree but I still want a monomachine so don’t hate me too much :sweat:

3 Likes